TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Scilly Isles

It's been reported that the long-running (17 years) summer-only DH 6 (Twin Otter) service between Bristol and the Scilly Isles will end from this year. The Southampton-Scilly Isles route will also be axed.

It's due to the ending of the BIH Penzance helicopter link to the islands. Scilly Skybus is going to fill this void by concentrating on its short routes from Exeter, Newquay and Lands End at high frequency, especially from Lands End.

Although the Scilly Isles from BRS is a niche route - just 3215 passengers flew on it in 2011 - it will be a shame to see another route disappear, though it was expensive and subject to the vagaries of the islands' weather.

Report can be accessed at http://www.scillytoday.com/2012/09/15/s ... uthampton/

The latest Airport Consultative Committee meeting took place on the 23rd October 2013 and as yet the minutes have not been uploaded on to the airport website.

I have emailed the committee as to when they will appear, this isn't the first time that there has been a delay from the meeting date to the minutes appearing. If my memory serves me correctly I think TheLocalYokel has mentioned he has had to in the past.

The meeting minutes for October have now appeared on the airport's website.

Nothing noteworthy in there, other than a note that the airport was progressing the hotel development on its own now, with completion scheduled for 2015.

• Admin
Getting the minutes onto the web site within three weeks of the meeting is actually quite good compared with the normal time lag, although this year they seem to have improved.

It would seem that the original plan announced a few years ago that a well-known company in the hotel industry was busily looking for an operator failed and this was the reason why the airport put no information into the public domain for a long time.

Let's hope they can make a go of it by taking over the reins themselves.

• Admin
Minutes of Airport Consultative Committee Meeting held on 27 April 2016

The minutes have now been published on the BRS website and I thought I would pick out some points of interest from them in this thread rather than spread the comments across a number of BRS threads.

Frustratingly, much information is not published (this is not a new phenomenon with the minutes) with the minutes content to say that the committee members were given a report. I can understand that some matters might be commercially sensitive but I'm not sure that Flyer bus passenger volumes for example fall into that category, especially as the airport should be keen to publicise that more people are reaching the airport by public transport which definitely seems to be the case.

Anyway I've picked out these items as perhaps being of general interest.

1. Robert Sinclair, airport CEO, told the committee that 1st quarter growth has been high (as we already know from the CAA and airport passenger stats) and a busy summer is anticipated. He might have added another busy summer.

2. The airport will continue to make the case against devolution of APD to Wales.

3. 1st quarter ASQ (Airport Service Quality) results saw the highest ever scores recorded at the airport with BRS having the second highest score of UK airports (the top airport was not revealed). BRS was also 17th out of 104 European airports.

4. The airport hotel is progressing (as anyone visiting the airport can see for themselves) and the west terminal extension will see a phased opening in the summer with completion by the end of the year.

5. The airport attended Routes Europe which was described as a 'very positive event'.

6. On 27 May this year the first Aer Lingus flight (between Dublin and Bristol Whitchurch) will be recreated to mark the 80th anniversary of the flight, but to Lulsgate this time. The aircraft was a de Havilland DH84 Dragon.

Addendum

Rather than duplicate I will draw attention to Jono577's post in the BRS Infrastructure and Development thread that deals with planning matters set out in the minutes.

• Admin
Minutes of Airport Consultative Committee Meeting held on 27 July 2016

The minutes have now been published on the airport website. Nothing of world-shattering importance discussed but I've picked out a few items that might be of interest to some.

1. The airport's Head of Terminal and Customer Operations spoke about the challenges facing Border Control, particularly at peak times. A number of actions are being taken to try to improve the situation: the Team Gate Host Team (whatever that is) is now fully funded; additional support from the customer services team; Border Force videos to help people better prepare; lobbying the Home Office to increase Border Force resources and responding to social media.

The passport control area will be improved with new generation e-gates being installed. It was noted that the airport is keen to maintain good working relations with Border Control but is not able to influence their staffing resources.

2. There was a discussion on the ramifications of the local authority decision to exclude All England Concessionary Passes (pensioners' bus passes) from some of the bus services serving the airport but not all, resulting in inconsistencies.

The Stagecoach bus service from Plymouth and other South West cities and towns was 'proving to be a success'. This surprised me because when I see one of these large coaches that operate 19 return journeys every 24 hours the vehicles never seemed very full.

There are no plans to extend the Metro Bus to the airport when it opens in Bristol in summer/autumn 2017, but this could be a future option.

3. A two-storey car park is scheduled for 2018. One of the parish councillors on the committee who is not the greatest fan of airports or air travel considered that a five storey car park should be built as originally planned so that the greenbelt was protected and wished this request to be considered by the airport company board.

4. Robert Sinclair, the airport chief executive, advised that passenger traffic continues to enjoy double digit percentage grow although there have been some changes in the destinations chosen by airlines following security concerns/recent terrorist incidents. The airport management was monitoring developments following the outcome of the referendum but would not expect to see any immediate impact resulting from the decision to leave the European Union. Many different issues impacted on the airport including terrorist incidents, air traffic control strikes, poor weather and oil prices. However the region had a strong catchment area and airline links and airport management was optimistic there would be continued growth in passenger numbers.

5. Finally, the parish councillor I mentioned earlier complained of 'almost constant noise impacts' to local rural roads from the use of runway 09 which is the airport's only runway from the west. She was concerned at arriving aircraft 'passing at height' overhead. Vectoring was explained to her and the area was part of the controlled space anyway.

Given that she's talking about an area two miles from the airport and aircraft would be in the final stages of approach along the glide slope, I don't know what she thinks can happen to change things, other than shut the airport. Her complaint also suggests a constant stream of arriving airport, a la Heathrow.

As I intimated earlier, there was not a great deal of exciting news at this meeting.

E gates host team. The 2 hosts who help passengers use the egates. Sadly without them the great British public is clueless on how to scan their passports at the e gates. The whole thing grinds to a halt without them. Even a video explaining how it is done is quite useless. Who has the time to watch a video with cartoon characters.

Last edited:
The airport thinks Border force is just about checking passports. They dont realise its about law enforcement and keeping illegals out, seizing drugs and other prohibited goods and ensuring only those people with the correct visas are allowed into the country. They cant force Border Force to hurry up with passengers.

• Admin
E gates host team. The 2 hosts who help passengers use the egates. Sadly without them the great British public is clueless on how to scan their passports at the e gates. The whole thing grinds to a halt without them. Even a video explaining how it is done is quite useless. Who has the time to watch a video with cartoon characters.
Thank you for the explanation re gate hosts, kraktoa.

I do have some sympathy with passengers using egates.

Each country seems to be different. At Melbourne for instance epassport holders have to go to a machine initially, input some details and out pops a sort of coupon that you use for the next part of the procedure in another machine.

At BRS when my wife and I arrive back at a busy time we keep an eye on the person in front of us not using the egates and more than once they've got through the Border Control desks before we've managed to get through the egates.

The minutes of the latest airport consultative committee meeting held 2 November 2016 have now appeared on the airport website (I had to jog their memory to get the minutes published).

Nothing earth-shattering was discussed or revealed; or if it was it's not in the minutes. Here is a summary.

Police Report

The officer in charge gave a routine report.

Presentation on Air Traffic Management

Given by airport head of airside operations and safety and by the general manager for NATS.

Chief Executive’s Report

The Chief Executive gave his report, via a video link, on the following subjects:

Overview of Current Activities

The summer had been successful with 7.5 million passengers expected through the airport in 2016 with July and August seeing over 800,000 in both months which the airport had handled well in general.

He outlined the government's view on LHR runway 3 and mentioned that Hinkley Point C should be beneficial to the area in terms of employment.

The airport was supporting efforts to improve surface access including a local authority bid for funds for a study into improvements between city and airport.

He said the government had confirmed there were no plans to devolve APD to Wales (He wasn't specific as to whether this was the May government or a re-statement of the Cameron government's decision of the early summer. When governments say there are no plans to do something it doesn't necessarily mean they won't do it in the future).

Passenger Experience Improvements

ASQ (Air Service Quality) results for the 3rd quarter had been very good - during the busiest part of the year.

Capital Projects

The West terminal extension had opened in stages with completion anticipated in February 2017 and the new hotel would open around that time too. The expansion and improvements to the immigration area should be operational by May 2017. The South Bristol Bristol Link road is due to open early in 2017. The Cogloop car parking land will be open from May to October next year with the first phase of the multi storey car park being operational by May 2018.

New Routes for 2016

There was no update.

Planning Report

The airport planning manager told the committee that the local authority had approved the planning appllcations for the multi storey car park (work will commence early next year) and for Cogloop. Applications for staff car parking and for the Silver Zone reception building were deferred until the next local authority planning meeting.

The airport environment manager outlined the situation with the three new stands on the Western Apron area that have operating restrictions. There was a discussion with a parish councillor member who is a frequent opponent of the airport regarding noise and environmental disturbance in general.

Miscellaneous

The committee received reports/graphs on such matters as passenger statistics, aircraft movements, Airport Flyer volumes, employees, Bristol Airport Local Community Fund, Environmental Monitoring Report, Environmental Effects Working Party meeting minutes; no detail of any of these subjects was put into the minutes.

There was also a report on the latest Service Quality Report and ASQ results which revealed that the airport had scored highly in many areas and had ranked number 1 of all UK airports for customer satisfaction. Some challenges remain though including drop-off and pick-up and car parking.

The committee also received a digest of airport and partners' press releases as well as being updated on a House of Commons Briefing paper on civilian drones plus codes of practice in respect of disruptive passengers and airport retailers VAT relief.

page5image12968
page5image13128

Consultative Committee Meeting 25 January 2017 - Minutes

Nothing earth-shattering again this time in the minutes, with the following summary of the main points:

CEO's report

Robert Sinclair reiterated the 7.5 mppa for 2016 and said the additional 750,000 passengers was the largest single increase in any one year in the airport's history. He acknowledged the strain this had put on the business and staff which was exacerbated by the construction work taking place. Despite an 'uncertain' economic climate the airport expected continued growth in passenger numbers together with 'additional services and airlines'.

Capital Projects

Recent initiatives were summarised: West Terminal extension which had opened in phases with full completion anticipated by the end of February; immigration facility expansion; the onsite hotel; the car park development on land referred to as Cogloop would be completed in the summer; three additional aircraft stand under construction; the South Bristol Link was now open and the airport continues to work with public transport operators to improve links and journey times.

Planning Report

The airport planning manager touched on some matters already referred to in the Capital Projects section, giving a bit more detail on the hotel opening date and that a permitted development work would include a walkway at the back of the hotel. The airport had made no application to change the restrictions on the Western apron works (presumably the three new stands being built which I believe are essentially parking stands - my italics). Future works would include a fire station, the second phase of the multi storey car park and the replacement of the administrative building by aircraft stands (but no timescale was given - my italics). The planning consent limit of 10 mppa was alluded to but without comment other than to say that 'in the longer term' the airport management would communicate with the committee members regarding the forecasting of passenger numbers (I don't know if this is an oblique reference to seeking an increase in the planning consent passenger numbers limit - my italics).

General

There were also a presentation by Centreline representatives which has recently changed ownership but still has its main base at the airport; a police report from the officer in charge of airport policing; a discussion on passenger numbers with one longstanding committee member, who regularly challenges the airport management on all sorts of matters, asking if A320 aircraft at the airport were to be fitted with flow detectors to reduce their noise impact.

Committee members also received reports on such things as: environmental monitoring; aircraft movements; Airport Flyer volumes; service quality reports; recruitment; the airport local community fund; press releases. The content of the reports was not put into the minutes in most cases.

Consultative Committee Meeting 26 April 2017

Minutes of the above now published and I have summarised main points below. Entries in italics are my comments

+ The first quarter of 2017 was very positive with passenger numbers up 12.5%. Remainder of year 'looking good'.

+ The refresh of the master plan (published in 2006) will begin in 2018 with the launch of a document 'Issues and Options' - will cover a 20-year period from next year. 15 mppa is an indicative forecast.

+ ACI (Airports Council International) has shortlisted the airport for best airport award as well as for a number of construction excellence awards.

+ West terminal fast track facility and new immigration facility are now both open with a plan to extend the hall next year following the completion of the security screening project (perhaps someone can tell us what this is).

+ The Hampton-by-Hilton hotel which has recently opened had performed 'exceptionally well'. Most users were leisure travellers but business and air crew bookings are increasing. The meeting rooms had also proved very popular

+ The huge southside car park extension (Cogloop) is nearing completion and the construction of the first phase of the multi-storey car park on the northside will commence soon providing 1,000 spaces over three levels with an anticipated opening date of May/June 2018.

+ It was too early to comment on the second phase of the multi-storey car park. Work to improve the passenger experience in the departure lounge was in the early stages and would include a revisit of the landside area (I don't know what that entails).

+ The new BACF services were commented on with the airport management said to be 'delighted'. A summary of other new routes (already in the public domain) was given. The airport CEO was asked about Qatar's decision to opt for CWL and confirmed that securing scheduled long-haul services remained a priority at Bristol Airport (he could hardly say anything else).

+ There was a presentation on surface access and public transport. Public transport currently accounts for just under 15% of travel to and from the airport. The presentation went on to discuss future options including the recently reported joint study by the local authority and the airport.

+ The ASQ (Airport Service Quality) results for quarter 1 had been the best ever for this quarter, with the airport being assessed as 1st in the UK for overall satisfaction, for three quarters running, and 14th in Europe. Areas receiving particularly high scores related to cleanliness, the business lounge and courtesy of staff.

Last edited:
Still awaiting the minutes to be published for the consultative committee meeting that took place on 26 July this year.

However, BRS is now also publishing minutes of the Environmental Effects Working Party on its website. The minutes for the meeting of 11 July this year contained this:

1. During May and June two new aircraft types had been seen at Bristol Airport. Thomson had started operating the B787 Dreamliner and WOW Air operated an A320neo for an individual flight. Melanie provided information from the departure noise monitors which showed that
    • - The one A320neo flight recorded 67.9dB at the noise monitor
    • - The Dreamliner flights had recorded, on average, 73.8dB at the noise monitors. While this is from a small data set, it shows some encouraging results. Levels will continue to be monitored to assess long term trends.

Is this the only time a 320neo has visited BRS thus far?

EasyJet had 1 delivered a few weeks ago and is based in ltn for the foresssable future. No doubt doing calculations with the neo against the other A320 aircraft. I don't know if they have had any others neo aircraft delivered yet.

Meeting 26 July 2017

Minutes are now on the airport website and can be read in full at the link at the bottom of this post.

Not much to get excited about but here are one or two 'highlights':

- The CEO said that the management is 'confident of continued growth next year despite uncertainty with the economy and Brexit'.

- The UEFA and airport 60th anniversary celebrations were discussed

- A High Level Issues and Options document will be released in November in connection with the major review of the master plan where the key issues will be surface access and public transport

- A runway extension is not expected to be included as part of the master plan process

- In response to a question regarding the perceived high costs of some flights, it was stated that the cost of air fares depended on numerous factors but were 'essentially demand-led and that there was a balance to be achieved between sufficient competition and not overwhelming the market'.

I'm a bit surprised that a runway extension has been ruled out of court before the new CEO arrives. I can only assume this decision has been taken at board level.

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/about-us/who-we-are/airport-consultative-committee/papers#ACC

• Thanks
Reactions: tpm
It certainly will be very interesting to see that document when it is released in November although I think to rule out an extension of the runway at this stage is a mistake. Also interesting to note the raising of airfares on some routes being particularly high and the need to balance demand and not overwhelming the market - can they really turn away competition ? - this point I have raised on here myself . Also note the usual moaning about night flights and the question of not expanding at all - a bit silly really

It does seem a precipitative act to rule out a runway extension discussion in what is supposed to be a root and branch look at the airport's future. Even if the airport company board believes that the cost would be excessive a thorough look at the subject must surely be a positive measure, if only as an exercise that could be useful beyond the immediate future.

The balanced demand/overwhelming the market scenario was touched upon by the current CEO last April when an aviation magazine published a major article on Bristol Airport. The CEO said then that, "Our preference is to work very hard with our existing customers and only add airlines when it makes sense. It's not a free-for-all, and the strategy worked well through the recession when demand was weaker."

The CEO went on to say that, "..............nor do we want an environment where our airlines don't have sustainable business models." He added that the airport takes a longer term and sustainable market view and only adds routes where there is a "demonstrable need and demand".

I suppose any airport can make it hard fort a new carrier to set up by declining to do 'deals' and instead fall back on its published rates.

As for the moaning, most of this comes from one member of the committee and has done for many years. She is a parish councillor and was heavily involved with the StopBristolAirportExpansion group. I would not go so far as to say she is completely anti-airport but her past record and pronouncements suggest she doesn't want it to expand and didn't want it to reach its current size.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock