The UK based operators on US routes seem to do better than the US airlines. Is this because there's a larger split of UK passengers?

I'd imagine that a lot of it may well be down to focus as well. For Thomas Cook and Virgin Manchester is a primary market yet for say Delta or American or United it's a secondary one that will always face lot's of competition from other destinations around the world.

The UK based operators on US routes seem to do better than the US airlines. Is this because there's a larger split of UK passengers?

There are rumours, at least in the case of VS that their costs are lower than DL on UK-US routings using similar aircraft. This may be because the crews that get TA flights on the US majors tend to be more senior; whereas VS crews will be the total mix.

From Routesonline:

Virgin Atlantic in recent weeks filed additional changes to its winter 2019/20 operation from Manchester, effective from 27OCT19. Latest adjustment as follows.

Manchester – Atlanta eff 27OCT19 Boeing 747-400 operates 5 weekly flights, instead of previously filed 3 weekly
VS109 MAN1040 – 1450ATL 744 x24
VS110 ATL1800 – 0650+1MAN 744 x24

Manchester – New York JFK eff 27OCT19 A330-200 operates 7 weekly, instead of previously filed 3 weekly
VS127 MAN1300 – 1530JFK 332 D
VS128 JFK1855 – 0620+1MAN 332 D

Interesting code-share. Wonder if we'll be able to get the excellent £380 return fare (LHR-LAX) including 23kg and meals!

@Airlineroute
Air New Zealand to codeshare on Virgin Atlantic's Manchester – Los Angeles service in summer 2019 season

This now means you can "fly" Air New Zealand on Virgin and Singapore Airlines out of Manchester.

Looks like all of Virgins 747s will be gone by 2021. Anyone know if at MAN they'll be replaced by A350s or A330s?

I'm wondering if they might densify some A330 300s for the beach routes and make MAN an all A330 base?

Courtesy of Routes Online

Singapore Airlines expands Virgin Atlantic Trans-Atlantic codeshare in S19

Singapore Airlines since the launch of summer 2019 season expanded codeshare partnership with Virgin Atlantic, covering additional routes between the UK and the US. Approximately from 31MAR19, planned codeshare routes include the following.

Singapore Airlines operated by Virgin Atlantic
London Heathrow – Atlanta
London Heathrow – Los Angeles
London Heathrow – Seattle
Manchester – Atlanta
Manchester – Boston
Manchester – Las Vegas
Manchester – Los Angeles
Manchester – New York JFK

That would be amazing! Imagine the JFK and LAX frequencies they could offer! It would already work too as TCX use the A330 and Virgin offer a much better service than TCX (Today Daily Mail rated them as one of the worst) therefore I don't think there would be many complains. However TCX are a significant amount cheaper sometimes which could cause a issue for some flyers.

Well I don`t take much notice of the Daily Fail as I know a number of people who love TCX and vote
them well ahead of US airlines like American and United

Isnt it useful that Thomas Cook o operate to DL hubs. We wanted greater VS frequency to BOS and LAX. This allows it. Potential for
JFK services to be staggered to provide better convenience for business travellers. Reintroduction of SFO services. Fly into the DL hub at Seattle.

Make good the rumours of Indian routes

Bigger Virgin presence in the leisure markets

The prospect of a real hub with Flybe intduction into Virgin 'Lite' operations

Seems like an awful lot of good sense to me.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock