Random Stuff!

Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
The UK has followed an after the horses bolted approach to closing down aviation. The World Health Organisation has made it clear, stopping flights early on in a pandemic only delays the progress of the disease by a couple of weeks. It doesn't stop it.

The likelihood is that a lifting of restrictions to neighbouring countries such as the EU block would make little or no difference to the UK whatsoever.

The idea that by closing airports will mean we're somehow safe is the equivalent of locking the burglar inside your home.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
At least one knows where the burglar is and can isolate the mug with that said I would prefer a strict lockdown to remain until safety permits otherwise, less opportunity for confusion by the media. I would not be best pleased if I contracted Covid following a limited loosening of restrictions and by someone that considered self interest more important..

58terminus

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2016
birmingham
The UK has followed an after the horses bolted approach to closing down aviation. The World Health Organisation has made it clear, stopping flights early on in a pandemic only delays the progress of the disease by a couple of weeks. It doesn't stop it.

The likelihood is that a lifting of restrictions to neighbouring countries such as the EU block would make little or no difference to the UK whatsoever.

The idea that by closing airports will mean we're somehow safe is the equivalent of locking the burglar inside your home.
We have a group of piliticians and scientists running scared at the moment becuase they know that in the hopefuly near future they
are going to be held accountable for the UK,s response.
In the meantime they will grasp any straw however small just in case it works and in the future they can say "I did that" and try and escape the repercusions.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
At least one knows where the burglar is and can isolate the mug with that said I would prefer a strict lockdown to remain until safety permits otherwise, less opportunity for confusion by the media. I would not be best pleased if I contracted Covid following a limited loosening of restrictions and by someone that considered self interest more important..
I agree with that on the whole except when you have multiple hundreds of thousands of people currently with the disease and you have no idea of "where the burglar is". So in effect having restrictions being imposed at this stage is pointless.

My reference to loosening aviation restrictions refers to when there is an appropriate and scientifically set figure that's considered to be as safe as it can be. A figure that is closely aligned with our neighbours in Europe and other countries regarded as safe.

Flights or travel originating from South America and Africa along with possibly the USA should be restricted until their covid levels reach a similar level to our accepted level.

The future is somewhat worrying but SAGE has made it clear the disease could be here to stay, in which case we will have to have some kind of normality reinstated at some point.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
My personal motto has been " Expect the unexpected ". and life has proven that big time for me because I did not expect the consequences of my medical condition and I am having to deal with them as best I can.

For most people, it is going to be the economic damage to family and employment and potential loss of holidays and defaults on cars or Houses
and financial obligations and promises to children being broken that is going to be painful and nothing the government does will mitigate that.

I wish everyone on the forums well and good fortune and be strong in the coming recovery.

andrew.clarkson

Apr 18, 2013
Hi there all, so again, why is Birmingham Airport missing out on these long haul flights again, even if its only just cargo, surely Birmingham Airport management can make a deal for this to happen.. Andyc

58terminus

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2016
birmingham
I would think BHX management have more pressing problems at the moment othet than chasing one off cargo flights.
Like trying to salvage some of the network they had before the crisis.
I see Brussels Airlines have announced their planed timetable comencing next month.
BHX is not on it. That is 45! European destinations they regard as better options than BHX.
A fair indication of where BHX's position is in the pecking order at the moment..

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Horsham
Discover our new 2020 summer network!
The gates to the sky are finally reopening! We couldn’t be happier to announce our summer network, with 59 destinations in Europe, Africa and the US gradually opening between 15 June and 31 August. A network to meet our customers’ needs.

Make sure to keep an eye on our flight offer: more destinations starting from September will be added soon!

September at the earliest then? Maybe another airline feeling they can "serve" the Midlands via Heathrow and Manchester?

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Horsham
Are BRUSSELS part of Lufthansa group, the entity that has accepted a bailout by the German government? May be Brussels Airlines will maintain service.

I still think of them as SABENA.
Yes Brussels Airlines is part of the Lufthansa group.

However it is Lufthansa the airline, not the group, that is getting a bailout from the German government - i.e. the money can't be used to help other airlines in the group.

andrew.clarkson

Apr 18, 2013
Hi there 58terminus, there is no need to just down my throat, I was only just generally asking a question, that's all... Andyc

IanFarquharson

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2015
Balsall Common
bhxmovements..co.uk
I would think BHX management have more pressing problems at the moment othet than chasing one off cargo flights.
Like trying to salvage some of the network they had before the crisis.
I see Brussels Airlines have announced their planed timetable comencing next month.
BHX is not on it. That is 45! European destinations they regard as better options than BHX.
A fair indication of where BHX's position is in the pecking order at the moment..
Brussels Airlines are downsizing to a fleet of 38, so BHX have done well to keep them !
This has always one of BHX's most profitable routes with high yields
They are 100% coming back, I think 01.09.20

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
Just heard on BBC television Midlands Today that there will be no financial assistance offered by the ownership to ease the company through the lockdown..this just proves to me that BHX is just a play thing for the councils, a sufferance to be tolerated if you like. Is insolvency the likely outcome?

Top Bottom