Random Stuff!

Brum X

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
Sorry just realised this may go off topic, sorry Ray.

It was only as somebody mentioned the Emirates 777, there you go we are back on topic, ha

rollo

Aug 26, 2014
Sorry just realised this may go off topic, sorry Ray.

It was only as somebody mentioned the Emirates 777, there you go we are back on topic, ha

Well as you started it -

The original flying pencil was the Dornier D.O.17 bomber, Rolls Royce had the flying bedstead precursor to the Kestrel/ Harrier and my favourite the Fairy Swordfish Aka the stringbag so slow the German guns found it difficult to calibrate their guns to hit it as the Bismark discovered to its cost.

Maybe this should go to random stuff.

Kevin Farnell

Staff member
Well as you started it -

The original flying pencil was the Dornier D.O.17 bomber, Rolls Royce had the flying bedstead precursor to the Kestrel/ Harrier and my favourite the Fairy Swordfish Aka the stringbag so slow the German guns found it difficult to calibrate their guns to hit it as the Bismark discovered to its cost.

Maybe this should go to random stuff.
Yes, an interesting and fun topic which I would like to see continue. So, if it could be moved to a more appropriate thread that would be great.

Kevin

Poshgirl

Aug 2, 2021
Birmingham
What about MD series or "Mad Dogs"?

Until recent retirements, there was usually more than one on the ground at US airports. When engines started or airborne close to airports, you could certainly hear them!

A340 Flying Pencil. Embraer 145 Flying Toothpick. There's an extensive list at b737.org. Although the site shows as not secure, I've never had any problems.

Sorry, I've gone slightly off topic too....

Brummiegem

Apr 10, 2014
Birmingham
Aircraft nicknames.

C130 Hercules ‘Fat Albert’,although I am not sure if that name was applied fleetwise or just the ‘Blue Angels’ support plane.
B737-200 The Flying Pig.Tad unfair in my opinion.
MD80 Flying Screwdriver.I think that only refers to certain certain versions of the aircraft that had a flat tail section.
BAC 1-11 The Pocket Rocket. My personal favourite,and very apt.

Kevin Farnell

Staff member
Aircraft nicknames.

C130 Hercules ‘Fat Albert’,although I am not sure if that name was applied fleetwise or just the ‘Blue Angels’ support plane.
B737-200 The Flying Pig.Tad unfair in my opinion.
MD80 Flying Screwdriver.I think that only refers to certain certain versions of the aircraft that had a flat tail section.
BAC 1-11 The Pocket Rocket. My personal favourite,and very apt.
I remember the B737-200 being called 'Pig' or even 'Piggy', but not 'Flying Pig'. I loved flying on the B737-200 (I had several flights with Britannia), especially if seated behind the wing and I could watch those large reverse thrust buckets deploy on landing followed by an immense amount of noise. I can also remember prior to landing an announcement would be made along the lines of 'After landing there will be an increase in the amount of noise. This is due to the reverse thrust and is normal for this type of aircraft'.
Yes, 'Pocket Rocket' was very fitting for the One-Eleven, although I sometimes heard it abbreviated to just 'Rocket'.
That brings me on to another point. Today, most airliners are given number designations by their manufacturers (Think Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, Ilyushin, Tupolev - the list goes on). But in the past airliners were given names. So much more exciting to learn you were flying on a Comet, Caravelle, Viscount etc. Come on manufacturers, you can do so much better that A3XX or 7XX!

Kevin

Brum X

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
What about MD series or "Mad Dogs"?

Until recent retirements, there was usually more than one on the ground at US airports. When engines started or airborne close to airports, you could certainly hear them!

A340 Flying Pencil. Embraer 145 Flying Toothpick. There's an extensive list at b737.org. Although the site shows as not secure, I've never had any problems.

Sorry, I've gone slightly off topic too....

A340 = Flying Pencil, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Im sorry but for me that title will always go to the fantatsic Boeing 757.

rollo

Aug 26, 2014
Been googling so heres a few.

Flying Carrott -Westland Lysander.
Flying Coffin or widowmaker or missile with a man in it - F104 Starfighter
Flying Prostitute - Martin B26 Marauder (no idea)
Flying Gas Station _KC 135 Stratotanker
Flying Speed brake - Lockheed Constellation

Finally my two favourites.

Anything that was used for budding astronauts to experience weightlessness = Vomit Comet and especially for BrumX who started this the 757 300 Long Tall Sally as in long legs,thin body and big hooters!

CL44

Jan 20, 2009
Birmingham
Avro Vulcan = Aluminium Overcast

There have also been a number of different Aircraft called FRED (Flipping Ridiculous Economic Disaster). Flipping is the polite version to be used on this forum. There was another one used when I first heard this name.... now what was it again?

rollo

Aug 26, 2014
Avro Vulcan = Aluminium Overcast

There have also been a number of different Aircraft called FRED (Flipping Ridiculous Economic Disaster). Flipping is the polite version to be used on this forum. There was another one used when I first heard this name.... now what was it again?

Lockheed C5 Galaxy I believe is maybe the word(s) your looking for then again maybe not. There's been a few over the years at BHX

CL44

Jan 20, 2009
Birmingham
I remember seeing the first C5 come in for the G8 conference back in 98. I was in the office crouching down by a printer and I heard this fantastic roar outside. I looked out of the window and there was this behemoth coming over the A45 on approach into BHX. I managed to wangle a visit to an Airline (whose office was in the old Terminal Building and had a brilliant view of the Apron) and watched it being off-loaded. The number of motors that came out of that beast was amazing! Then to see the beast take off was outstanding. I am sure they used a tactical take off just to see how little runway they could get away with using!

As for FRED the description can be used for a large number of Aircraft over the years which have struggled to be economically viable! Its a bit like FLUFF (which I have heard being used for the 737 (Funny Looking Ugly {Fat} Fellow). I may have cleaned that last word up a bit! The middle F is not always used by the way.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.