Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
We've got a good little community now on the Birmingham forum with the amount of posters steadily growing.

Naturally chats between different people happen and can often take a particular subject 'off topic'. I don't like stopping conversations as I prefer to see as many people posting as possible, I do understand though that a thread going off topic is not to everyone's tastes.

I had an idea to turn this thread into a 'Random Stuff' thread where Birmingham Forumer's (and any others) can discuss whatever they like, be it the imminent relegation of Villa :happy: or what they're having for Sunday dinner.

It would also be a place to where I could move conversations to keep them going should they stray off topic, keeping the rest of the forum tidy.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions first as to whether they think it's a good idea or not?

Cheers.

We've got a good little community now on the Birmingham forum with the amount of posters steadily growing.

Naturally chats between different people happen and can often take a particular subject 'off topic'. I don't like stopping conversations as I prefer to see as many people posting as possible, I do understand though that a thread going off topic is not to everyone's tastes.

I had an idea to turn this thread into a 'Random Stuff' thread where Birmingham Forumer's (and any others) can discuss whatever they like, be it the imminent relegation of Villa :happy: or what they're having for Sunday dinner.

It would also be a place to where I could move conversations to keep them going should they stray off topic, keeping the rest of the forum tidy.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions first as to whether they think it's a good idea or not?

Cheers.
In theory probably a good idea, im as bad as anyone for drifting off topic! Only problem is it is a drift rather than someone saying something totally random.

That was the purpose of the forum "Discuss Things Not Related to Aviation", but as you say, conversations have a way of drifting off topic in the middle of a thread, and people normally don't bother starting new threads to have these sort of discussions, so I think it's a good idea.

Yeah the "Discuss Things Not Related to Aviation" is for the whole forum and sadly very underutilised. I was thinking of something more 'local'.

For instance discussions about the Birmingham area and it's history interest many people but are not directly related to the airport. That's just one example, there are countless more.

I'll get a few more opinions first then either change the title or delete the thread.

Ray, i think there is a lot of merit in what you are suggesting. I think i may have been guilty of a bit of 'off- topic' as you say, in the past. But i hope we don't get too rigid in our attitudes: what is 'off-topic' to someone might well be lateral thinking to another and may encourage worthwhile responses.

I don't think that would happen.

Personally I have no problem with people going off topic, conversations naturally evolve. I do understand though that if you click onto a thread expecting to see some info, only to be greeted by a load of waffle, it can be frustrating.

I'm just trying to find a way to have a happy medium :)

Ray, i think there is a lot of merit in what you are suggesting. I think i may have been guilty of a bit of 'off- topic' as you say, in the past. But i hope we don't get too rigid in our attitudes: what is 'off-topic' to someone might well be lateral thinking to another and may encourage worthwhile responses.

Well done Richard for staying on topic here (hee hee!).

Seriously I agree with your proposal Ray. One or two minor infringements and then 3 strikes and it's on the transfer list (who mentioned Aston Villa?)?

I think it is a great idea and fully support it.

So when I cant land my Iberia A320 on FSX I can put it in the "Random stuff" thread for technical support rather than on the Iberia thread. (Only kidding) ;)

One or two minor infringements and then 3 strikes and it's on the transfer list

Like it (y)

So when I cant land my Iberia A320 on FSX I can put it in the "Random stuff" thread for technical support rather than on the Iberia thread. (Only kidding) ;)

I've finally got the hang of landing using the auto pilot. It usually ends in disaster if I try manually.

(who mentioned Aston Villa?)?

;)

villaout_3313264b.jpg

Just to put my two penneth in:p:p

I'm trying really hard to get the quieter parts of the site moving and you guys can help by posting in those areas now and then. Just as a suggestion as I'm happy for Ray Finkle to run the BHX forum how he likes but what about this thread for local "off topic" items and the main forum for national or international "off topic" items but with a quick link post such as "hi guys, this is happening in this thread" with a url link http://www.forums4airports.com/forums/457/ placed right here? Thoughts?

Afraid not, sold it in 14. Had it for ten years and took it to Normandy 7 times and Arnhem 5.

Already had the Honda but used some of the money getting it right, spent the rest on a Triumph Street triple which i hated and sold after a year. Then used most of it on the back garden:(. To add insult to injury I managed to break a front tooth a month ago so the last bit has got to go on fixing that.:banghead:

That was a bargain! what happened to me was I broke a crown at the back grinding my teeth while asleep, decided to have what remained taken out but because my bite had now changed I crunched down on the front ones during the night a week later and snapped one off at the gum. Now look like something out of deliverance and i cant play the banjo so have got to shell out getting it sorted.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock