Advertisement

Route Development & Rumours

Ianbutty

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2016
Essex
I’m not 100% convinced UA, AA and TS pulling out was because of Primera - TS was already on life support, AA had drastically cut their JFK hub and continue to do so while UA had started cutting their regional U.K. routes. BHX might took a gamble on Primera knowing that these airlines were already on their way out and felt they had nothing to loose. It’s just a shame Icelandair pulled out the same time as I feel they were the ones to probably lose out. I don’t think it’s a coincidence these airlines went after a TCX launched transatlantic flights up the M6 offering cheaper fares and a better product than what UA and AA were.
The US airlines are over leveraged and the inevitable economic downturn that lies ahead is driving back demand. They will pick safe havens and emerging markets where previously un-served citizens will swoop with unrivalled enthusiasm to buy tickets only for the airlines to pull the plug a couple of years' later after they have run out of premium passengers.

Indian Sub Continent......two way traffic.

Advertisement

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #5,562
With airlines like United and AA and Ryanair airports like BHX will have a lot of competition to attract them, keep them and to get them to expand. With the US airlines it's not just internal US destinations but Latin and South America and the Caribbean that BHX is up against and with the likes of Ryanair it's airports all over Europe not just ones close to home.

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #5,567
I am looking at booking NYC for next February half term and I'm a little gutted I can't get a flight direct from BHX. That said, I'm seeing the bright side - I'll be connecting via another airport, which gives me ample opportunity to do a little spotting
I've been looking around and Aer Lingus seem very competitively priced, they also have the huge advantage of US pre clearance :)

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Admin #5,569
The problem with that is that I imagine Primera sold BHX the idea that they would serve multiple N.American destinations
I don't believe airports accept or declines new routes on the basis of what an airline is proposing to do. If there is any variation from the airports published landing and service changes it is usually provisionally based on how many passengers they can get through the terminal doors and service delivery.

Another airline that seem to be constantly 'in talks'
You're not wrong there. Airports are constantly talking to airlines but talks don't always lead to new services.

Problem was BHX did not seem to bother doing due diligence.before p*****g off the airlines already operating.
I don't agree with you there. You make it sound like airports cherry pick airlines to serve from their airport. That most definitely isn't what happens.

This is basically how a new route or airline basing materialises.

Airport approaches airline and says "this is our airport, these are our facilities and this is the region we serve."

If an airline is interested the airline responds to the airport with "this is our airline, these are the routes we want to serve, what can you do for us?"

Airports don't then say "we only want you to serve X and Y but not Z."

However as there isnt any "Route Development" i think that it the reason why we are having a winge. We are not doing it for the sake of it, this is the reality. There is nothing going on at BHX at present so you might have a long wait nwoody2001.

Everybody here wants to see their local airport do well especially when competing airports appear to be thriving. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record as I've said this before but the idea that we should all just agree with one another and not offer contrasting opinions is ridiculous. This is a forum after all.

Loads of Ryanair expansion for W18/19 announced today, BHX not listed once, not even once.
To say people thrive for disappointment I think is a little unfair,
I agree. We all just have contrasting opinions on how the airport should move forward.

Airports should first and foremost serve the economic needs of a region bringing people and investment in and providing business to business connectivity.
Everybody knows Ryanair is like a double edged sword. Having them on-board doesn't necessarily mean BHX will flourish. I don't personally believe BHX will have been approached by Ryanair as airports don't normally turn any business away.

nwoody2001

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Good find. Certainly a goo sign of intent to add to the growing signs that discussions are on-going...

Hopefully their vision is based on sound grounds. be good to be part of such a network!

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #5,572
Although it is purely illustrative, its good to see Birmingham features on their illustrative 787 network map. It would suggest that Birmingham is at least on Westjet's radar. Let's hope those discussions between Westjet and BHX are going well...

View attachment 10423

https://blueswandaily.com/westjets-787s-help-it-address-a-long-haul-market-worth-billions/

It's good to see that the source of the map is Westjet themselves, hopefully a sign of intent. The article is from last December so lets hope that talks have got closer to actually making it a reality.

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Solihull
The article is from last December so lets hope that talks have got closer to actually making it a reality.
Another point to consider is that although the article was from last December, Westjet aren't getting their first Dreamliners until 2019 Q1. Even then its only 3 out of 10, with a further 10 options, which will take a number of years to deliver. It'll be interesting to see how much they use them for expansion vs replacing aircraft such as the B767.

Also worth pointing out that as the article is from December 17, Primera would have announced Birmingham to Toronto by then and I'm not sure when Air Transat pulled out. My point is BHX was on their radar when there was competition around - now that competition is gone, hopefully BHX has moved up their list.

jfy1999

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2015
Birmingham
The PSO on STN-LDY is coming up for renewal. There is £2.5m set aside to fund the route beyond May 2019, but there is currently no Stormont Executive to sign the papers that would trigger the release of the funding.

The local council are in discussions trying to get the PSO out to tender by next month. The focus of course is on London, but it seems that Flybe are interested in operating more than just STN-LDY.

Advertisement

Top Bottom