Advertisement

Which aircraft do you consider the safest?

Which aircraft do you consider the safest?
aeroplane-aircraft-airplane-459402.jpg

Inspired by a discussion in another thread about the Boeing 737-MAX variants. What aircraft do you consider to be the safest and why?

I think as a general rule of thumb people tend to consider new aircraft as the safest and you often hear people making comments about the age of airliners with quotes like "that rusty bucket" and "that old tin can" being commonly heard around airport departure lounges.

A number of UK and US airlines are renowned for hanging on to their "old birds" but are they really any less safe than new aircraft. Clearly there isn't any specific air worthiness doubt here as we know aircraft are meticulously scrutinised throughout the year and at various stages during their flying life.

What are your thoughts and perceptions?

I don't think I've ever flown with an airline from a country that might be less rigorous in its regulatory procedures than the expected norm in the UK. That being the case, the type or age of the aircraft never really bothers me.

I prefer some aircraft over others but for reasons other than safety. For example, on long haul I would rather fly on a B777 than a A380 and I've flown on both types quite a number of times, but not to the degree that I would inconvenience myself just to use a B777.

I have confidence in the training and ability of airline pilots.

Advertisement

Purely a personal opinion but I would rather fly on a trustworthy old Boeing 757 than a brand new "dream" liner. Tried and tested equipment that has stood the test of time. Numerous new airliners have encountered various design problems from automated flight systems through to leaking batteries whilst the old flying "tin cans" keep flying with seemingly no problem virtually. Pilots have often argued that there's far too much automation and not enough hands on flying. One would expect the automation to be faultless but we keep seeing flaws in the very automation that's meant to keep us safer.

I felt very unsafe on the 737-300 the other day. Not sure if it was becuase I know how old and how unreliable they now are or just being able to feel every movement.

In terms of the number of miles flown without fatal accidents I believe the 787, 777-300ER and A380 are among the safest?

Passenger to flight attendant: "How many times does this type of plane crash?"
Flight attendant: "Once."

In terms of the number of miles flown without fatal accidents I believe the 787, 777-300ER and A380 are among the safest?

Passenger to flight attendant: "How many times does this type of plane crash?"
Flight attendant: "Once."
Out of interest, do you know what the stats are per number of take offs and landings?

Out of interest, do you know what the stats are per number of take offs and landings?
Here's a list of "established" jet airliners that have not been involved in fatal accidents:

Boeing 717
Bombardier CRJ700/900/1000
Airbus A380
Boeing 787
Boeing 747-8
Airbus A350
Airbus A340

In terms of total flight cycles, I'm not sure of exact numbers but I would hazard a guess at the CRJ due to it being a commuter aircraft and much more popular than the 717.

Advertisement

Top Bottom