• Admin
I think as a general rule of thumb people tend to consider new aircraft as the safest and you often hear people making comments about the age of airliners with quotes like "that rusty bucket" and "that old tin can" being commonly heard around airport departure lounges.

A number of UK and US airlines are renowned for hanging on to their "old birds" but are they really any less safe than new aircraft. Clearly there isn't any specific air worthiness doubt here as we know aircraft are meticulously scrutinised throughout the year and at various stages during their flying life.

What "aircraft type" do you consider to be the safest and why??

737-200.jpg

I don't think I've ever flown with an airline from a country that might be less rigorous in its regulatory procedures than the expected norm in the UK. That being the case, the type or age of the aircraft never really bothers me.

I prefer some aircraft over others but for reasons other than safety. For example, on long haul I would rather fly on a B777 than a A380 and I've flown on both types quite a number of times, but not to the degree that I would inconvenience myself just to use a B777.

I have confidence in the training and ability of airline pilots.

Purely a personal opinion but I would rather fly on a trustworthy old Boeing 757 than a brand new "dream" liner. Tried and tested equipment that has stood the test of time. Numerous new airliners have encountered various design problems from automated flight systems through to leaking batteries whilst the old flying "tin cans" keep flying with seemingly no problem virtually. Pilots have often argued that there's far too much automation and not enough hands on flying. One would expect the automation to be faultless but we keep seeing flaws in the very automation that's meant to keep us safer.

I felt very unsafe on the 737-300 the other day. Not sure if it was becuase I know how old and how unreliable they now are or just being able to feel every movement.

In terms of the number of miles flown without fatal accidents I believe the 787, 777-300ER and A380 are among the safest?

Passenger to flight attendant: "How many times does this type of plane crash?"
Flight attendant: "Once."

In terms of the number of miles flown without fatal accidents I believe the 787, 777-300ER and A380 are among the safest?

Passenger to flight attendant: "How many times does this type of plane crash?"
Flight attendant: "Once."

Out of interest, do you know what the stats are per number of take offs and landings?

Out of interest, do you know what the stats are per number of take offs and landings?
Here's a list of "established" jet airliners that have not been involved in fatal accidents:

Boeing 717
Bombardier CRJ700/900/1000
Airbus A380
Boeing 787
Boeing 747-8
Airbus A350
Airbus A340

In terms of total flight cycles, I'm not sure of exact numbers but I would hazard a guess at the CRJ due to it being a commuter aircraft and much more popular than the 717.

Indirectly related to passenger safety, but doesn't the A350 have turbulence mitigation capabilities?

Strangely, as an aviation enthusiast, I get anxious about flying (but then I'm prone to anxiety anyway), but I'm fine once the aircraft gets moving. I followed the news of the Boeing 737-MAX avidly and was quite shocked at what transpired. I loved flying on the B737-200 and have also flown on the -300, -400, -500 and -800. None of which really bothered me. I think I would still have some nerves about the MAX, but in reality the work done and the improved pilot training probably makes it very safe. I just wish Boeing would add a third angle of attack sensor. If you have two and they disagree, how do you know which is correct. If you have three and one disagrees, the odds are very high that the two in agreement are correct.

Similarly I get somewhat anxious when I'm flying particularly during the initial stages. Getting on the aircraft to getting airborne is probably the worst point for me but once we've reached cruising altitude I settle down and feel fine. I always feel fine for landing too which is odd really as take off and landing are equally critical.

Personally for me I shan't be booking a flight knowingly planned to operate on the 737-Max. Boeing have burnt their bridges. My view is the aircraft should have been fully redesigned rather than having a rehash of the older 737 models when there was essentially a fundamental change taking place.

I would probably feel safer getting on a 35 year old 737-300 than getting on a 1 month old 737-Max but I suppose you could argue any aircraft that has been flying for a couple of years at least, is hopefully less likely to encounter somekind of structural or catastrophic failure.

#Boeing737Max #AircraftSafety

Similarly I get somewhat anxious when I'm flying particularly during the initial stages. Getting on the aircraft to getting airborne is probably the worst point for me but once we've reached cruising altitude I settle down and feel fine. I always feel fine for landing too which is odd really as take off and landing are equally critical.

Personally for me I shan't be booking a flight knowingly planned to operate on the 737-Max. Boeing have burnt their bridges. My view is the aircraft should have been fully redesigned rather than having a rehash of the older 737 models when there was essentially a fundamental change taking place.

I would probably feel safer getting on a 35 year old 737-300 than getting on a 1 month old 737-Max but I suppose you could argue any aircraft that has been flying for a couple of years at least, is hopefully less likely to encounter somekind of structural or catastrophic failure.

#Boeing737Max #AircraftSafety
I happy with all aeroplanes, but statistically small aeroplanes are the most dangerous.

I happy with all aeroplanes, but statistically small aeroplanes are the most dangerous.
Watching the footage of the ATR72 crash in Nepal is petrifying. It just goes to show how easy and quickly things go wrong. It's another type I wouldn't knowingly book onto.

Watching the footage of the ATR72 crash in Nepal is petrifying. It just goes to show how easy and quickly things go wrong. It's another type I wouldn't knowingly book
Your call, but I think you will find there's more chance of being killed walking down the street- and you wouldn't avoid doing that!

I know the what the stats say but it would be interesting to know the safety ranking for each aircraft type, or deaths per million flights etc. I'm guessing the ATR isn't performing as well as say the older variants of the 737. On the otherhand until more 737-Maxs are flying I expect they will be quite high on the leaderboard for the time being at least.

I agree that Boeing should have built an all new small - medium sized airliner rather than continuing to update 1950's technology. Ive often wondered if they couldn't have shrunk the B757 rather than stretch the B737.

How would you feel about booking on the B787? I ask due to the battery fires on the early models. Since the 'fix', there have been on more reported incidences over many years. Has this now been lost from the public memory?

Very good point. I don't understand your last paragraph properly. Has there been more fires since the fix? Having worked in aviation security previously I do think there is a substantial risk from battery fires. Not necessarily from onboard equipment, sometimes from electrical equipment taken onboard by passengers. The batteries of mobile phones, laptops and scooter devices have all been known to cause fires and are a potential risk. Just about every passenger carries at least one device that could overheat and cause a fire.

Very good point. I don't understand your last paragraph properly. Has there been more fires since the fix? Having worked in aviation security previously I do think there is a substantial risk from battery fires. Not necessarily from onboard equipment, sometimes from electrical equipment taken onboard by passengers. The batteries of mobile phones, laptops and scooter devices have all been known to cause fires and are a potential risk. Just about every passenger carries at least one device that could overheat and cause a fire.
Sorry, a typo on my behalf. I wrote 'on', which could be read as a typo of 'one', where as I intended to write 'no'. So no, there have been no further incidents since the 'fix'.
Yes, there is a risk with Lithium ion batteries and flights have been lost due to fires caused by them. I read somewhere, that the biggest risk is when the battery is being charged and discharged at the same time i.e. using a device while it's charging. I believe that batteries (including spares) cannot go in the hold, but must be taken into the cabin. Also, watching YouTube flight review videos, I've heard the safety announcement state that if you drop your phone down the seat, do not try and retrieve it yourself. Call a member of the cabin crew.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock