I seem to remember Luton's runway was built from concrete blocks (made in Halifax, I once heard a Luton ATCO say) but I fairly recently saw a tv programme showing the runway being resurfaced with asphalt during the night. The job was done by a professional dedicated runway rebuilding contractor with international reach. Probably not too many such companies. Bring them here!

The company who already maintains LBAs runway has international reach. If LBA choses to use tarmac instead of concrete that is up to them but concrete also has many positive characteristics. Annual maintenance will not stop once a change to tarmac has been made but I suspect it will be cheaper and possibly easier to maintain than concrete.

I seem to remember Luton's runway was built from concrete blocks (made in Halifax, I once heard a Luton ATCO say) but I fairly recently saw a tv programme showing the runway being resurfaced with asphalt during the night. The job was done by a professional dedicated runway rebuilding contractor with international reach. Probably not too many such companies. Bring them here!
And Luton is part owned by LBAs owners..so a good chance they will do here what was done at LTN.

I understand the plan being considered for LBA is to dig out the existing concrete blocks, crush them on site, then put that back as hard-core which is compacted. Then tarmac on top. They would do a small section each night moving along the runway. Not sure how they plan to deal with lighting. I believe this how they did Bristol.

I understand the plan being considered for LBA is to dig out the existing concrete blocks, crush them on site, then put that back as hard-core which is compacted. Then tarmac on top. They would do a small section each night moving along the runway. Not sure how they plan to deal with lighting. I believe this how they did Bristol.
Sounds good. Waste not etc.

Now now. That's unkind and way too soon😉
I did say ' could be'.
It's not unkind. It's concrete that currently isn't in use, and 'could be' that it remains that way. Given that LBAs runway won't be replaced for at least 5 years yet, I rather think that the future of DSA will be decided by then, one way or the other .

I did say ' could be'.
It's not unkind. It's concrete that currently isn't in use, and 'could be' that it remains that way. Given that LBAs runway won't be replaced for at least 5 years yet, I rather think that the future of DSA will be decided by then, one way or the other .
I wasn't serious, hence the 😉.

Pity if we are ripping up the runway bit by bit we couldn't somehow flatten out the 'hump' which seems to cause landing issues under certain conditions for specific types of aircraft. No doubt costly but would be beneficial long term.

I wasn't serious, hence the 😉.
I can't see the emoji clear enough to see the expression! 🤷 I will put my specs on next time. 🤓
However, I knew you were not being serious, but in case someone else thought I was being unkind, I thought I'd better clarify the thinking behind my comment. After all, if DSA isn't saved, that runway will almost certainly be dug up and sold for aggregate. They should have made their minds up by 2027!

The thing about concrete is that it is none flexible, so if the ground underneath moves (ie sinks or is scoured by water) it cracks and then is subject to frost heave. Asphalt is flexible, and if the sub-base (or ground underneath) moves it just leaves a depression that can be filled quicker.

Today was the latest Airport Consultative Committee meeting. Not a huge amount to report, not helped by the enforced absence if the CEO and Commercial Director.

The following were noted:

Passenger figures remain encouraging with average load factor 85% in September and 81% in October. This represents 91% of pre Covid (2019) figures.

Passenger figures were presented weekly and are as follows since the last week in September.

W/e. 25/9. 87,661
W/e. 2/10. 83,445
W/e. 9/10. 77,455
W/e. 16/10. 76,545
W/e. 23/10. 80,828
W/e. 30/10. 67,456
W/e. 6/11. 52,283
W/e 13/11. 43,207
W/e. 20/11. 41,064
W/e. 27/11. 42,916

Total passengers April to November
=. 2,764,948.

This compares to the same period pre Covid (2019) =. 3,188,870.

This year saw only 1 week where in excess of 100,000 pax used LBA, compared with 17 weeks in 2019.

Wizz pax figures are good with 8O% load factor. Various security issues experienced at security arising from late check in of passengers, language barriers, etc, particularly on Bucharest and Cluj Napoca flights but now improving with new signage in Romanian and the switching of some flights to avoid the Friday morning issue with 5 arrivals within an hour or less.

Flybe will continue to operate 1 daily on Belfast until Q1 2023 due to late delivery of aircraft.

Other carriers are looking to operate to LBA (no clues given) but these are not likely to start before 2024.

November pax figures negatively affected by cancellations due to fog. On time performance was 80%. Average queue time at security across the month was 10 minutes with a maximum of 30 minutes at peak periods such as Friday morning with 6 Wizz Departures plus others. The issues with Wizz were the same as those experiences at DSA on the same flights so are not unique to LBA.

LBA has received strong accreditation from the CAA for it's safety and security provisions.following an inspection.

The airport is all ready for action with regard to snow clearing, de-icing etc. ahead of the forecast cold weather.

LBA is now fully staffed but still expect to hold a jobs fair Jan- Mar 2023, seeking 50-100 staff to cover any staff departures.

LBA is installing the necessary equipment to enable liquids to be carried in luggage (subject to D of T approval) from 2024.

Work is continuing on the Airspace Change Programme. This is for airspace up to 7000' only. NATS are working on above 7000'. This is complex but preferred options will be submitted for consultation from March 2023. LBA have to fund this (as do other airports). Airlines are funding the work done by NATS.

A certain anti airport group are pushing leaflets through doors, claiming facts about the Airspace Change and what it will mean, which are wholly false and not based on anything LBA are planning. LBA proposals will be completely transparent. One member stated that the leaflets were asking for funding to fight the airport proposals, before the proposals have been decided.

Confirmed the CAA are removing DSA airspace and LBA negotiating with them so as to be able to continue current landing processes through that airspace, which is on a continuous descent basis. LBA are employing two ex DSA ATC staff shortly. DSA airspace is no longer visible on LBA radar.

Hall A upgrade

Named Project Valhalla. (!)

Now underway for 4 weeks.

Will drastically improve appearance.

New ceilings

New LED ceiling lighting including uplighting on to ceiling to make it look higher.

Pillars being slimmed down to size of structural beam only, to generate additional space.

Back of house offices screened off

14 self service hybrid check in desks ( can be self service or manned)

Average check in time of 90 seconds per passenger.

Will be suitable for up to 5.6m pax per year..

Works cost is £0.5m plus additional cost of the technology.

Work over 2 phases to minimise disruption, particularly over Christmas.

Runway repairs.

Overnight repairs underway. Capital value £2.5m.

Includes drainage repairs due to silting up and collapsed drains.

Each concrete block that needs replacing has to be done in one night and the contractor has spare machinery at all times in case of break downs. Concrete blocks are excavated, new cement laid and strength tested to obtain CAA approval within a 6 hour period.
Each concrete block costs £35,000 to replace. The full runway consists of 4225 blocks.

The long term intention is to ensure all blocks are in good repair with all drainage issues resolved then to re- surface the runway in asphalt via a rolling programme of (overnight) work so as to keep the runway operational. Target is to be completed by 2030.

Terminal Extension

Still going ahead. Expected to start late 2023.

Parkway Station

Confirmed that the recently announced transport infrastructure projects that are on hold does NOT include the LBA Parkway Station. This is going ahead as scheduled.

Other matters.

If it's not included above, it either wasn't discussed, or it was but I am not at liberty to report on it, so....
PLEASE DON'T ASK!!
So just to be clear, they are replacing all damaged blocks and 8 years later they are breaking all 4225 blocks up to provide a foundation for a tarmac surface.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock