Eastern Airways

Advertisement

Dave 1959

Oct 9, 2014
Eastern will be serving both LHR and LCY from MME from 6 July.

LCY will be one rotation M-F from 6 July, rising to 2 rotations M-F from 14 July. Served by a Saab 2000.

LHR will be one rotation from 6 July, rising to 3 rotations a day from 13 July. Served by a E170.

Good for MME, and they must have done something right to attract Eastern to open these routes.
Are you sure they are serving Heathrow, I can't find any mention on their website only the London City flights?

KARFA

Jun 3, 2014
Are you sure they are serving Heathrow, I can't find any mention on their website only the London City flights?
Yes. They are on the LHR site already. Subject to a lot approval - but if these are from the BA/BMI remedy slot pool it’s unlikely the slot application would be rejected.

Jobsagoodun

Feb 22, 2019
South of North
Unlikely to be BA remedy slots as there is a very specific timetable for any such application and this needs to take place long before the season commences. More likely that an existing LHR slot holder needs someone to babysit slots for them whilst demand from COVID recovers. I‘d suggest that this is a time limited exercise by Eastern, much like the Flybe IOM or GCI services were.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
According to LBA the BA route is suspended, not permanently canned and they hope it will be back in the future.
There again that is what was said when PIA dropped the Islamabad route & we are still waiting!

KARFA

Jun 3, 2014
Unlikely to be BA remedy slots as there is a very specific timetable for any such application and this needs to take place long before the season commences. More likely that an existing LHR slot holder needs someone to babysit slots for them whilst demand from COVID recovers. I‘d suggest that this is a time limited exercise by Eastern, much like the Flybe IOM or GCI services were.
I don’t see any need for babysitting slots. The 80/20 rule is suspended and unlikely to come back until 2021.

Jobsagoodun

Feb 22, 2019
South of North
I don’t see any need for babysitting slots. The 80/20 rule is suspended and unlikely to come back until 2021.
I don’t disagree entirely however the slot alleviation is only in place until the end of October at this point. I can imagine an operator with a large number of slots being interested in securing a home now, especially if they don’t see a full recovery from COVID for maybe 18/24mths.

Finger66

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2015
South Leeds
MME-LHR is a very strange move to me by T3. The incentives provided must be huge and therefore affording them minimal risk. They must have some interline and through ticketing agreements in place, or at least be confident they will be. With VS is one that immediately springs to mind. BA never made LHR work from LBA because the timings were all wrong and were clearly not interested in improving them. If T3 have an early southbound and teatime and evening northbound from/to MME then that's a huge improvement on what BA offered from LBA. Be interesting to see if that new route has an effect on KLM ops at MME with regards to connections. Let's hope all this T3 expansion incentivise a gap in the market for LBA. One thing I suspect is LM won't allow T3 to get too big at MME as there is a potential impact on their NCL ops. Could be some interesting times ahead again as we see demand return.

KARFA

Jun 3, 2014
I think BA proved LBA to LHR doesnt work even with onward connections. If BA cant/wont make the route work no one can.
To some extent it proved the complete opposite. Of all the domestic BA routes, LBA had the highest percentage of connecting customers.

The issue were more to do with timings and frequency to some extent in the last 2 years. Also BA never really pushed LBA and competed with KLM to take customers off them. Also many from this side of the country were still used to going to MAN, and maybe were not even aware that they could fly from LBA.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Eastern Airways have NOT been granted the 38x weekly slots they applied for at Heathrow along with the following airlines that applied.

ACL has published its initial slot report for Heathrow for the winter season.

Airlines that requested new slots and did not get any include:

Alitalia Cityliner (98)
Arkia (6)
Aurigny Air Services (56)
Brussels Airlines (40)
China Airlines (10)
CZA Czech Airlines (14)
DHL Air (12)
Eastern Airways (38)
Luxair (26)
Regional Jet OU (22)
Rwandair (6)
Spicejet (42)
Ukraine International (28)
Vistara (14)
WestJet (56)
Wideroe (56)

Starflyer

Jun 10, 2014
That's for the winter season. They are holding slots at LHR for this summer, but those are presumably someone else's slots who simply isn't operating at this time and they won't earn grandfather rights to them - which is where the value comes

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds

lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Has this changed? Nothing is showing on the LBA arrivals or departures.
Not sure what's happening. They are not showing on Southampton Airport arrivals & departure boards either.
Just checked there website and flight no longer bookable for this week, with first flight available from next Monday, July 6th.

I'm taking a guess to say that this week's flights have being cancelled due to low numbers, anyone whom booked most likely will have been transfered onto the Manchester route.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Yeh not good for us spotters!
But look at it from airlines point of view, there's no money to be made from flying empty aircraft around.
True. Probably a bit too early. The booking engine on Eastern's website shows 4 seats left on the first SOU flight and 5 on the first NQY flight.

JetRob

Jun 7, 2020
Leeds
There's always going to be a downturn after something like this has happened. Hopefully the NQY route might be a saviour for them and have a reasonable load factor every day they fly down there.

Top Bottom