KARFA: This forum has generally managed to steer clear of the hostile / abusive style of debate often encountered at the dried fruit site. Let's try to keep it that way. Yes, by all means present opposing viewpoints, but please try not to smear another contributor or disrespect their credentials. FWIW, I do know who 'Llandudno' is - and NO, I'm not saying - but I can confirm beyond doubt that his / her industry contacts are exactly as indicated. Like many of us, 'Llandudno' started out as an enthusiast but is well established within the industry now. Lots of us end up working in the business which enthralled us as a hobby in earlier years.

Moving on to the topic at hand, I do believe there to be truth in the IAG rumours. It would be irresponsible of IAG / British Airways NOT to investigate the opportunity left behind by the collapse of TCG. That's not to say that I presume a near-term based BA long-haul operation at MAN, but it does make sense for them to consider the possibility. If they intend to make a move, the time is now. Because Virgin faces short-term fleet availability challenges too.

Last year, Virgin Atlantic was reported as a bidder to take over Thomas Cook UK long-haul. What a great outcome that would have been - but it didn't happen. VIR would have inherited the TCX long-haul fleet and continued using those aircraft until new replacements could be introduced. There would have been some consolidation of overlapping offerings, but there wouldn't be the gaping hole which transatlantic services from MAN face now.

Virgin / Delta has announced some expansion at MAN since TCX failed (but they have expansion commitments to fulfil in London too). Up here, Delta will take on BOS-MAN with a daily B752. Virgin has stepped up capacity on core established routes where it can. One additional based aircraft has been secured, meaning increased frequency to BGI +1 / LAS +2 / MCO +2. Including the Delta service, the group will operate upto eight transatlantic departures daily from MAN. That's great ... but think back to S2019. Upto seven TCX A332's were departing transatlantic daily too, and Virgin operated a substantial programme head-to-head with them already.

Virgin recognises the opportunity - that is why they placed a bid for TCX long-haul. But they can't just rustle up more aircraft. They have B787 issues to address too. So they're not (yet) able to expand to the full potential offered by this opportunity. Until they can, they're vulnerable to another competitor jumping in ... and IAG knows it. They must consider their options, because once Virgin does source another two or three long-haul based frames for MAN it will be 'game over'. Virgin / Delta will completely dominate Transatlantic from the North. Right now, American Airlines offers a single daily service with the oldest equipment they can find. And United Airlines - most surprisingly - appears to be downgrading equipment from B764 to B763/B752 on MAN-EWR again (do they know something???).

And this brings the main question to the fore. Virgin will fly MAN-JFK daily with a B744. United will fly to EWR daily with a downgraded B763. Last year we had TCX A332's on that route as well - sometimes double-daily. That's lots of capacity lost on the New York route and transatlantic fares from MAN have soared. BA used to claim that MAN wouldn't be able to support long-haul routes - shareholders would be incredulous if they suggested that now. Meanwhile, look at the Caribbean and Mexico markets from MAN. Some backfill courtesy of TUI, but what a capacity drop. This is an open goal - and it's BA Gatwick's bread-and-butter too. Easily supported by BA Holidays (head-to-head with Virgin Holidays?).

So BA is presented with a one-off opportunity to spoil the pitch for Virgin / Delta at MAN. But if they want to have a go, it has to be now. Once Virgin has fleet strength in place the opportunity is gone. Virgin / Delta will dominate transatlantic long-haul from the North. IAG must decide immediately whether they're prepared to tolerate that. Virgin will have all the tools to court the lucrative business-end of the market from the North too. Clubhouse is on the way.

If I had to place a wager, I'd guess that BA will ultimately shy away again (true to form). And that wouldn't unduly upset me given their previous track-record at Manchester. If their motive is to spoil a route rather than serve it then they'd be better to stay away. But is it conceivable that they're checking out their options whilst Virgin is still in transition? YOU BETCHA!!! And that's why the rumour makes sense. They'll be able to tell their major shareholders that they made a carefully considered decision before allowing Virgin / Delta to establish a stranglehold over the North. They ran the numbers and they made an informed choice.

One final thought. The mood music towards revitalising the North has abruptly changed in Downing Street. The Northern Powerhouse agenda is back. Might IAG want to stay on somebody's good side?

Thank you EGCC_MAN for your clear and well thought out response to the debate.

Like you I believe that BA has to look at their options. To totally ignore Manchester without so much as a sniff could possibly be rather short sighted. We know that they have short-changed the airport in the past, however times have changed and now maybe now is their time to re-enter the market.

We're probably best to keep an open mind and see how things develop. I'm not setting my hat in either stall, however I do believe that Llandudno probably has a good source - otherwise why would he put his reputation on the line.

Time will tell and, in the meantime please keep things civil.

Well Iberia operating DAILY to Madrid at a regular time with decent onward connections would be a good start. :)

No sign of that happening though.

Walsh has kept HAL's feet to the fire re the cost of the proposed third runway at LHR. It will be interesting to note whether his successor keeps up that pressure.

I'd expect the new Spanish CEO to view MAN from a purely business-orientated perspective. Just like any other European airport of similar size. Events which happened a generation ago are entirely irrelevant. He won't even know the history. Decisions going forward will revolve purely around implications for IAG's bottom line. Which, to be fair, applied to Walsh's tenure as well.

Initial indications are that Cityflyer's programme for S20 will involve the following destinations and numbers for movements and seats - all based on the period 29th March - 24th October. This is a period of 210 days but the majority of the flights will only operate over a shorter
period.

The figures in the right hand column are the approximate number of round trip flights per week based on the full 210 days.

Screenshot-760.png

One that seems to have slipped under the radar:

BA to launch MAN to LGW flights from 28th March 2021.

1x Daily

Wed-Mon MAN 7:00 LGW 8:15 LGW 9:45 MAN 10:55
Tue MAN MAN 7:10 LGW 8:25 LGW 9:45 MAN 10:55

Looks to be well timed to connect onto the long haul routes out of LGW.

Unless things change drastically, long haul from LGW won't be like it used to be, although I admit BA are still there with routes to the Caribbean.
Do they still plan to do MCO or JFK to the US from LGW? Even if they do, I'm sure most passengers will prefer to travel direct from MAN on VS, or hopefully EI which I assume would be ok with IAG. VS do BGI from MAN and have made noises about expanding their Caribbean services so I suspect the choice relative to demand for connections at LGW will be very limited. And as has been pointed out on another forum, transfer traffic could work the other way to a greater extent. (y)

With those times it looks like a Manchester originating flight?!!

Looks like it will be operated by a LHR night-stopper.

Unless things change drastically, long haul from LGW won't be like it used to be, although I admit BA are still there with routes to the Caribbean.
Do they still plan to do MCO or JFK to the US from LGW? Even if they do, I'm sure most passengers will prefer to travel direct from MAN on VS, or hopefully EI which I assume would be ok with IAG. VS do BGI from MAN and have made noises about expanding their Caribbean services so I suspect the choice relative to demand for connections at LGW will be very limited. And as has been pointed out on another forum, transfer traffic could work the other way to a greater extent. (y)

Given BA will serve Barbados and Orlando from Heathrow next year, this is probably aimed at the Caribbean destinations that Virgin don't serve from MAN (Antigua, St Lucia, Cancun, Punta Cana, etc).

With those times it looks like a Manchester originating flight?!!
That's an interesting point. It means there would have to be a later flight from LGW to night stop at MAN, or the a/c sits on the ground most of the day, or BA find somewhere else to fly it - which seems unlikely.

I would have thought there would be more ptp passengers than transfers, in which case you need at least 2 daily flights surely.

Edit: Just read on SPD Travels that it's the last inbound LHR flight that departs for LGW the next morning. Presumably the inbound from LGW at 10.55 then does a LHR rotation.

Last edited:
The BA lounge in T3 has been temporarily closed since March 2020 - same as the other BA lounges outside London. Unfortunately the BA lounge will not reopen and will be permanently closed now.

It’s possible there may be some lounge provision when airlines move in to T2 - there was some talk of a oneworld lounge for BA/AA/CX/QR/AY - but that’s all a way off yet.

The BA lounge in T3 has been temporarily closed since March 2020 - same as the other BA lounges outside London. Unfortunately the BA lounge will not reopen and will be permanently closed now.

It’s possible there may be some lounge provision when airlines move in to T2 - there was some talk of a oneworld lounge for BA/AA/CX/QR/AY - but that’s all a way off yet.
Oh no - my first biz trip planned for June is to Manchester. I'm sure I'll find a Pret instead:)

British airways have got 4x flights from Manchester to Porto between 28th-30th May due to the UEFA champions final league match there.

Last edited:
BA are back to using the usual T3 gate 142 now. Nothing is open in T3 and no other airlines are using it atm. Check in and security is still T1, so you walk over to T3 using that link corridor near gate 35 (formerly gate 1). When you arrive you exit via the domestic baggage hall in T3.

I have also heard from a reliable source that as of this week BA re providing lounge access to the Escape lounge in T1.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock