I see a poster on the Manchester thread has published stats for the month of March, we haven't had Februarys yet, lets hope they won't be long coming out, and hopefully provide some good news.
I think they are the airport's figures at MAN, not the CAA's which in any case gets its stats from the airports. The two should be the same but rarely are at any airport.

Sometimes it's a question of knowing the right person to approach to get the detailed breakdown before they are officially published. At one time Manchester were way behind with releasing the monthly reports on their website - they are getting better.

CAA Stats - February 2019

CAA has finally published stats for February 2019:-

FEB'19 - 78,061 Vs. FEB'18 - 78,020 - No Change

Movements FEB'19 - 1,004 Vs. FEB'18 - 1,072 Down 6%

Even though overall Pax figures remain unchanged, load factors must be higher due to reduction in movements,

The only other point of interest being DOHA:-

Pax: 5,435
Cargo: 37 tonnes (To me this seems really low, based on 5 flights a week)

Cargo figures month by month since the route commenced:-

May'18 - 152 tonnes
Jun'18 - 158 tonnes
Jul'18 - 210 tonnes
Aug'18 - 219 tonnes
Sep'18 - 229 tonnes
Oct'18 - 229 tonnes
Nov'18 - 160 tonnes
Dec'18 - 85 tonnes
Jan'19 - 34 tonnes
Feb'19 - 37 tonnes

I really hope the tonnage will increase as we go into the summer as cargo must play a big part in the viability of any route, together with a good number of pax in the business class cabin.

CAA Stats February 2019
78,061 passengers used the terminal in February no change on 2018. The rolling year was 1,582,000 passengers up 7.1% on 2018.

Top 10 routes
Amsterdam 11,876
2. Tenerife South 7093
3. Dublin 6913
4. Edinburgh 6442
5. Alicante 6120
6. Doha 5435
7. Belfast City 5408
8. Paris CDG 4470
9. Rome FCO 3951
10. Malaga 3828

Last edited:
Domestic Stats for February 2019
Anglesey 17 ??? that must be wrong.
Belfast City 5408 -3%
Durham Tees Valley 49
Edinburgh 6442 -11%
Glasgow 2245 -18%
Jersey 868 -8%
Leeds Bradford 38
Liverpool 41
Manchester 135
Newcastle 457 -55%
European Stats
Paphos 156
Chambery 601 -23%
Paris CDG 4470 -4%
Berlin TXL 868 -35%
Dusseldorf 30
Munich 723 -50%
Cork 1063 -11%
Dublin 6913 -44%
Milan MXP 899 -38%
Rome FCO 3951 +171%
Amsterdam 11,876 +13%
Faro 991 -24%
Alicante 6120+11%
Malaga 3828 -5%
Arreciffe 2964
Las Palmas 1436 -3%
Tenerife South 7093 +15%
Krakow 375
International Stats
Doha 5435
Bridgetown 291 -3%
Montego Bay 298 -1%

The only other point of interest being DOHA:-

Pax: 5,435
Cargo: 37 tonnes (To me this seems really low, based on 5 flights a week)
I expected the passenger numbers to be better at least over 6000, as for the cargo it depends on what is being carried and whether the airline charges by the tonnage or cubic metres or per pallet.

Very disappointed by the stats but this underlines how much Flybe reduced their schedule and can possibly shed light on how fragile they were in February.

There is 6 Nations influence in the stats;
Dublin down 44% - Ireland v Wales was in Feb in the 2018 tournament.
Rome up 171% - game in Feb 2019. A good boost.
Edinburgh down 11% - game in Feb 2018. Still Edinburgh was cut to once daily some days.
Paris down 4% - game in Feb 2019 - surprised it isn't plus....goes to show how much the CDG route was chopped? The game was a Friday night and wasn't fan friendly.

Faro down almost a quarter. Glasgow down almost a fifth. Both cut too far in my opinion. Milan and the German routes were cut to the bone too.

Glad to see Amsterdam (additional 737 started Sunday 24th), Alicante, Tenerife and Doha with new pax all gaining. Doha is poor this month but i think Feb is the trough and obviously Januarys figures gained from Christmas/New year family travels. From what i'm seeing on social media Doha should climb beyond January's figures for March.

I wonder if TUI could do a Winter Antalya when the Wednesday Paphos isn't running. Try the market as it's a popular summer destination from CWL.

There was some serious snow around on 1 February which caused problems at many UK airports. I think that CWL suffered to some degree.

Does TUI fly to Antalya from any UK airport in winter?

TUI don't fly AYT in winter. More or less every thing shuts up for winter. They can have very bad weather in Turkey and they do.

If TUI were going to operate Turkey in the winter it would be Dalaman but it is unlikely they will, Paphos next winter will run into December i believe. Many of the routes were cut for the 1st and into 2nd weeks of February i believe but some weren't routes like Chambery and Geneva for instance. Thomas Cook have begun Turkey in April so maybe TUI might look in the future at starting earlier but a lot of the routes they do from CWL are linked to cruises so they might not be able to.
Doha is a bit of a disappointment as i was hoping it would be over 6000 at least but we'll need to see how it grows in the future to judge it. Amsterdam continues to grow so hopefully in the long term we'll see expansion on the with more E190s and fingers crossed 737s.

March will have the boost of the extra KLM flight which will be interesting to see the growth on that and the Irish rugby flights as well so will do better.

TUI don't fly AYT in winter. More or less every thing shuts up for winter. They can have very bad weather in Turkey and they do.

Same for Spain and Portugal in the Winter but there is still flights. I mentioned AYT in Winter as it's operated from London, Birmingham and Manchester and Turkey is a popular summer destination that a one weekly would work. I wonder if now a Faro would be more suitable since Flybe won't be flying there come the winter. Hopefully Faro continues to be a year round destination from CWL along with Rome come the winter timetable.

I don't see TUI operating Faro in the winter or Ryanair to be honest.
Rome will most likely be lost as well.

Winter wise CWL is going to lose a lot of passengers not to mention 3 based aircraft. Just sad that Flybe have felt the need to do this. Unless the airport has something up there sleeve passenger numbers wise the airport will be set back for a while, makes you wonder if the airport will ever get back to 2 million passengers.

I suspect Ryanair would quite fancy a few more routes from Cardiff. Rome is a glaring example or does vueling fancy their chance. Bases in Paris and Rome

Why would Faro be lost for winter when Flybe have done it for many winters? Agreed they make a pigs ear of it but Malta is no more of a tourist destination than Faro and that is a year round route. Ryanair could definitely do a double weekly Faro.

Why would Faro be lost for winter when Flybe have done it for many winters? Agreed they make a pigs ear of it but Malta is no more of a tourist destination than Faro and that is a year round route. Ryanair could definitely do a double weekly Faro.
The difference between Faro and Malta is that Malta I believe is at the moment it may be sponsored or in conjunction with the Maltese tourism authority.
The question for Ryanair would be can they fill a 737 twice a week through the winter if they had them available.

I thought i would have a little comparison to how many departures the airport had exactly a year ago today.

The airport had 23 departures on 17th April 2018. Today the airport has 25 departures. TCX with the 2 extra.

Should be over 30 for most of the summer once TUI kicks in.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock