I see Leeds/Bradford Airport gained full planning permission approval from Leeds City Council on Monday, May 13th 2019 to knock down one of the existing warehouses and build its new petrol filling station, which will be situated just off Whitehouse Lane.

Is this the Cargo shed everyone has recently been talking about on this forum?

A quick look at the plans submitted to Leeds Council shows the planned facility adjacent to the south west corner of the roundabout, therefore any building demolition is likely to be from the inflight catering zone.

BH

Has anyone heard or seen anything of the terminal extension? I would have thought by now the groundwork would have been laid. The airport seems to have been silent about it. I would love to see more updates on the forum and on the website as I believe supporters of the airport should have some insights to keep us supporting!

I believe the project is on hold once the groundworks are complete. To resume in September. Design is to be reviewed now that David Laws has left.
I wonder if they want it to be even better? Maybe with the new CEO coming from AMP he may be able to get more finance for an even better extension due to his closer relationships with AMP executives. Because let's be real the fact the extension is happening is great but it's not at all fancy but, it is 100% needed so as long as it happens I think everyone will be happy.

with the luck LBA has the new man will probably not want to spend as much money as david laws on the extension, i just wish they would crack on and build the dam thing and not stop work until sept as reported above,i was at the cafe last sat
and 5 jet2 aircraft landed in a 30 min time frame,i shudder to think what it was like in baggage reclaim.
regards
sm

I believe the project is on hold once the groundworks are complete. To resume in September. Design is to be reviewed now that David Laws has left.

Not doubting you regarding the project being on hold, but still no official word on this so far as I am aware. Assuming you are correct and the project is on hold, it's mad to think that the development project can come along so far to then potentially stall. David Laws wasn't the only person, he was part of a larger management team, surely they can't have sleep walked into a design error or flaw surely not?

All the groundwork reference re-routing cabling/ducting/pipework seems to have been completed, there is some work currently taking place near to the remote gate (rerouting high voltage cabling I'm guessing). The site has been surrounding by hoardings and reinforced concrete has been laid presumably for the vehicles to access the site. The stairway next to the lounges has been 3D surveyed as this will be converted into the walkway to and from the new extension. A new set of emergency exit doors have been installed downstairs which will replace the emergency exit currently within the previously mentioned stairway. As far as I have seen, no foundation work has been done. I have heard rumours that the project has been delayed and that we won't see any actual building work until late in the year.

Jet2's new staff car park seems to be taking shape, and I'm guessing that once this is complete and the Jet2 parking area by the roundabout is no longer required work can commence on the new petrol station, although if the new extension works are anything to go by they may not start imminently.

Apart from that, infrastructure/building work seems to be pretty quiet.

I thought that all the 'civils' needed to be completed (ie facilities/drains/cables etc) before any actual upwards constructions can begin.

All the groundwork reference re-routing cabling/ducting/pipework seems to have been completed, there is some work currently taking place near to the remote gate (rerouting high voltage cabling I'm guessing). The site has been surrounding by hoardings and reinforced concrete has been laid presumably for the vehicles to access the site. The stairway next to the lounges has been 3D surveyed as this will be converted into the walkway to and from the new extension. A new set of emergency exit doors have been installed downstairs which will replace the emergency exit currently within the previously mentioned stairway. As far as I have seen, no foundation work has been done. I have heard rumours that the project has been delayed and that we won't see any actual building work until late in the year.

Jet2's new staff car park seems to be taking shape, and I'm guessing that once this is complete and the Jet2 parking area by the roundabout is no longer required work can commence on the new petrol station, although if the new extension works are anything to go by they may not start imminently.

Apart from that, infrastructure/building work seems to be pretty quiet.

Good to here, although I don’t think work will commence on the fuel station until a new Catering facility is built?

Are there any plans for this?

Please don’t tell me LBA are going to remove not only the freight forwarders but also the airline catering business...

Much discussion, joking and consternation took place yesterday between 7 of us at The Multiflight Cafe around the current goings on at LBA. So does anyone know definitive answers to the following please:
Has the replacement runway lighting been completed? If not when will it be?
Has work on the Terminal Extension definitely stopped? And if so why? And is there anything more than coincidence that LBA now has a new CEO.
Based on recent reports it appears that passengers are not having a great experience at LBA especially at peak times. So if the terminal extension work has stopped this makes absolutely no sense to me as it will drive passengers away.

Much discussion, joking and consternation took place yesterday between 7 of us at The Multiflight Cafe around the current goings on at LBA. So does anyone know definitive answers to the following please:
Has work on the Terminal Extension definitely stopped? And if so why? And is there anything more than coincidence that LBA now has a new CEO.
Based on recent reports it appears that passengers are not having a great experience at LBA especially at peak times. So if the terminal extension work has stopped this makes absolutely no sense to me as it will drive passengers away.

A quote from the most recent press release suggests everything is good for go with the terminal expansion?

"Hywel joins at a transformative time for LBA and will focus on delivering the strategic priorities for the airport, including growth in passenger numbers, route development across regional and international destinations and delivering the new terminal building."

Had such an experience yesterday afternoon arriving into Leeds on LS252 from Faro at 3.30pm. on G-LSAG. Used the airbrige (Gate 8 I believe) and the queue from Passport control was strtretching back to almost this point due to four other flights from Alicante, Palma, Dubrovnik and Almeria all arriving at more or less the same time. So much was the dealy, took nearly 50 minutes to get through border control that Jet2 sent me an email apologising for the delay. Then to baggage reclaim, well that was another story, chaos can best describe it. Fortunately I always use LBA and generally everything runs smoothly but if I had been a first time user yesterday it would probably be my first and only time using the airport. Delays to the building of the terminal will drive people away to other airports as Finger66 points out. For me LBA is the only choice but others will vote for with their feet and we all know what bad press the airport gets in our so called local newspaper.

So much was the dealy, took nearly 50 minutes to get through border control that Jet2 sent me an email apologising for the delay.

Name another airline that would do that? I cannot wait for this new arrivals hall; should improve it for everyone. Pitty there is, as it appears, no growth built in with the amount of baggage belts.

I have just returned from 9 days in Scotland, so just catching up, and yesterday I couldn't access Forums4Airports for some reason. So I took the opportunity to contact the LBA development manager (before I read Aviadors request)to confirm the position regarding the terminal development and whether there is to be any delay that was previously unplanned. I am advised that (as expected) the new airport MD is reviewing the plans (which doesn't necessarily mean they will be changed), there is no delay in the terminal development that wasn't always planned. The groundworks have commenced to save time later, but the project is currently at RIBA stage 4 (detailed technical design), and only when this is completed can the costs, and contractor programme be confirmed. These are necessary before LBA management can sign off the project and move it forward with building commencing. So the summary would be that yes, there is now a pause in the development but it was always planned this way, and the arrival of the new CEO has not changed anything.

As for the runway and airfield lighting, we were advised before this started it would take 3 winters and we have now had those. The runway lighting pylons at both ends and down the runway now appear to have been changed so I can only assume that the project is completed, and if not, it is just a matter of finishing off next winter, which presumably wouldn't take long.

Name another airline that would do that? I cannot wait for this new arrivals hall; should improve it for everyone. Pitty there is, as it appears, no growth built in with the amount of baggage belts.

The new terminal arrivals area has belts that are considerably larger than those currently in use so effectively they double the belt capacity currently available. There will of course also be a significantly bigger baggage reclaim hall, so far more space for passengers standing around the belts to collect luggage and for those standing back away from the belts. The belt capacity has been designed to cater for up to 7m passengers per year.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock