It`s interesting that nearly all the long haul flights into MAN seem to be upgrading this winter and next spring

Now announced....

"“The introduction of the Boeing 767-400 aircraft is the most significant increase in capacity on our nonstop Manchester – New York/Newark service in over a decade and underscores our commitment to Manchester and the North-West of England. "

Nice passing reference about what previous expansion was like... if only we could go back to the olden days of the route going 757, DC10, 777 then 2 757s....

https://www.businesstraveller.com/b...increase-capacity-on-manchester-newark-route/

United will keep the B767 on the Newark route year round. It will be the -300 winter, -400 summer.

Considering a certain poster on here was adamant UA would pull MAN next, quite a good move I’d say.

and there is one person on airliners.net citing the dollar/pound exchange rate as the reason for US carriers "abandoning" MAN as selling in pounds and converting to dollars as too costly as it's predominantly UK travellers using the routes. The evidence of UA really bumping up capacity from Summer seems to contradict that bit of conjecture

I can't see the point of flying transatlantic from LPL unless the destination is not served from MAN.

A further update from Airlineroutes
Newark – Manchester 1 daily 767-300ER (Service to resume on 24OCT20)

So this United basically canning of the Summer 2020 season? Or been cautious so that they don't owe anyone money if they have to further delay the re-start date? Smart move if the latter.

Wonder if they would bring the date forward if things have settled down

They should; providing we are all good. But if we are not i suspect it is United suspending Summer season and writing it off.

So far we've seen American retire all their A330-300's, 757's and 767's early, whilst Delta will be retiring all their 777's by the end of the year.

To my knowledge, United so far haven't announced any large scale retirements of any fleets, however some of their fleets are getting on in age:

B757-200: 23.8 years
B757-300: 17.9 years
B767-300: 24.4 years
B767-400: 18.8 years
B777-200: 21.1 years

United have ordered the A321XLR to replace the B757 on EWR/IAD international routes, but that doesn't arrive until 2024, and the A350-900 to replace the B777-200, although not until 2027.

Educated guess:

- The 757 will only fly domestic routes and will be replaced by B737MAX when they can fly again
- The 767 will be retired 'soon' (i.e. in the next 12-18 months). This plus the 757's going domestic only explain the axing of all UK regional routes
- All international routes to be operated by either 777 or 787
- United returns to regional routes when the A321XLR arrives in 2024 (and post-Covid demand has recovered to 2019 levels)
- When A350 arrives, the A359 will replace 772 1-for-1
- (Could maybe see United ordering an A350-1000NEO towards the end of the decade to replace the 777-300's, leaving United with an A350/B787 wide body fleet)

Courtesy of Airlineroutes dated 5th September:

Newark – Manchester 1 daily 767-300ER cancelled (Service will not be resumed from 24OCT20, including 2021)

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock