We stay in Spain in a small family run hotel, earlier this year we were woken by noises in the corridor in the early hours. It seems after sending in his nighly list of guests passport details to the authorities, one u.k. guest had arrived from Gatwick that day with an outstanding u.k. arrest warrent for GBH. The noise was the police arresting him which he was not happy about. How did he get out of Gatwick.
The Sharm el Skeikh bomb looks to have been placed under a seat, which opens up a huge can of worms, cleaners passengers etc., every aspect of the airport has to be secure.
A friend of mine retired a few years back after being head of security at Gatwick airport, he used to cry when he saw my facial ID security which he would have loved, however, I could control the wearing of head gear, something our politically correct brigade, fight against.
I am not sure we have the right balance between personal freedom and the ability to maintain our security.

Aviador: Thanks for all your updates, sorry if I pushed further then you were comfortable in giving an answer, security has been a lifetimes work for me and it just troubles me we are not using the tools out there to make us all safe.

It's no problem but I have to remind myself from time to time how much knowledge is in the public domain. What's appropriate to discuss and what's not. The airport security process has been discussed in great length over the years on various television documentaries. Although many of them have had some good points, the majority of them have been unfair as many of the things they have brought up can't be challenged without further disclosing security procedures.

I am absolutely not under the impression that you must have ID to travel within the UK however considering the security threat level in the UK, considering world events and considering the changing strategy of active terrorism, I find it deeply concerning that a person can get on a plane without anyone having the blindest idea as to who you are, particularly as the flight was to the one of the most terrorist sensitive locations on the planet. More so, a fellow passenger I befriended on the flight also voiced her concerns (of her own accord, I might add) about the lack of a check, suggesting that this is something that concerns people in general. I can only repeat, I could have put any name I wished on my booking and my boarding pass and nobody would have been any the wiser. But hey ho. I don't think it is really worth arguing about and I'm not suggesting that the security process was anything other than highly professional.

I do not find in concerning at all. All people sat on the plane have been through security. Just as there are no ID checks to travel on any other type of domestic public transport in the UK, there is no statutory requirement for ID checks on planes on domestic routes. As noted before, clearly the government, CAA, police, BA, and the airport are not concerned about it - I am happy to trust the judgement of the professionals on this one. Public opinion shouldn't inform security and identity check considerations in the UK, instead it should be informed by evidence and judgement of the professionals.

You are correct you could have put any name you wished on your boarding pass, but so what? You could do the same on any other form of domestic public transport.

Anyway, as you say, an interesting discussion.

Karfa: A friend of mine used to be head of scurity at Gatwick, I think the authorities are very concerned but there is a limit of man power and money you can throw at the problem, with no guarantee of success.
My friend sat on government committees and gets quite livid with the views of certain MP's who sat beside him, who thought personal liberties, outweight steps that could be taken.
He just hopes we do not have a problem, but feels if we do, were all going to ask, why we did not take simple steps to ensure our safety, were only going to make this judgement at the wrong time, after an event not before.
Its a struggle to get through legislation to hold phone numbers, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyone going on a Turkish Holiday from Leeds/Bradford this summer it looks like you going to be affected by the new baggage arrangements that are been put in place by the British Government. Its affects flights from 6 Countries and follows a similar announcement made by the US authorities last night which affects flights from 8 Countries.

The ban been put in place means all electronic goods such as Laptops, tablets and DVD players will no longer be allowed to be carried in the cabin as part of you hand luggage on flights from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia & Saudi Arabia. Thus meaning these flights items will now all have to be placed in your hold luggage and then stored in the aircraft holds.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

For Leeds It will only effect flights from Antalya, Bodrum & Dalaman operated by Monarch & Jet2.com

Here's a question though. What if there batteries are lithium? I remember reading somewhere these are meant to go in the cabin of the aircraft in order in the unlikely event of them catching fire or overheating it will be spotted and be able to dealt with quicker than if they were placed in the hold. It's just something that spring to mind.

Strangely, I was watching Fake Britain today too, and they were showing what can happen to fake batteries sold to people on line for laptops etc. It was truly scary. They are capable of exploding and when they do they go off like a firework with a significant fire resulting. I dare not think of what might happen if someone's laptop, in the hold and with a dodgy battery, exploded like that.

Could be a boost for our KLM flights. Anyone travelling long haul from one of the Middle East countries can circumnavigate the ban by flying to Amsterdam and then onto LBA. Arriving from Holland into Leeds they would not be subject to the ban. This is of course providing the Dutch government don't introduce a similar ban to the UK.

UK government statement this morning states 'last point of departure airport' so not clear if this means a transit airport like Schiphol if for instance travelling from one of the effect airports and changing in Amsterdam or from original departure airport which is on the list.

UK government statement this morning states 'last point of departure airport' so not clear if this means a transit airport like Schiphol if for instance travelling from one of the effect airports and changing in Amsterdam or from original departure airport which is on the list.

I read earlier this morning somewhere that if your journey starts at one of the countries in question and you transit through another point (I.E Istanbul - Amsterdam - Leeds) the rules will still apply. It all based on your origin airport it would seem.

I read earlier this morning somewhere that if your journey starts at one of the countries in question and you transit through another point (I.E Istanbul - Amsterdam - Leeds) the rules will still apply. It all based on your origin airport it would seem.

Makes absolute sense!

I have just received an email from KLM who have confirmed that a flight from one of the banned airports if using KLM and transiting through Amsterdam to Leeds then the laptop etc. ban DOES NOT apply. i.e. Cairo-Schiphol-Leeds. Total confusion reigns and government clarity is needed on this.

When you think logically on this assuming I am on the leg from Cairo to Schiphol how can you ban me from taking a laptop on board when the person sat next to me is a Dutch National travelling home and he is able use his laptop on board. The flight then to Leeds originates from Holland (not on the list) so again you could have a Dutch business man travelling to Leeds again using electronic equipment. Total minefield come to mind.

Last edited:
I've travelled over to Dublin 4 times so far this year, all with Ryanair. I've departed from LBA on all 4 flights but in the return just 2 into LBA and the other 2 back into MAN. On arrival into LBA after the trek up the stairs you queue to show your passport. At MAN on the other hand no passport checks at all. Anyone any idea why??

WH, I'm saying passport because you have to have a passport for travel with Ryanair. I think if you travel with EI to Dublin any formal photo ID can be used, driving licence, certain work ID, even a bus pass!!!
I'm just curious as to why Special Branch check all Dublin arrivals at LBA but nothing at MAN.

Well according to the UK governments own website passports are not required as both the UK and Republic of Ireland are part of the "Common Travel Area" But it dose advise you to take your British Passport with you

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ireland/entry-requirements

Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. British nationals travelling from the UK don’t need a passport to visit Ireland. However, Irish immigration officers will check the ID of all passengers arriving by air from the UK and may ask for proof of nationality, particularly if you were born outside the UK. You are therefore advised to take your British passport with you.

As noted Ireland is part of the CTA. Those familiar with arriving at LHR from DUB will know
you take a separate route which leads you to a point past the immigration desks and just above the baggage hall, no need to show any passport on arrival.

I can't think why arrivals from Ireland in to LBA should be going through immigration. They should be treated exactly the same as BA arrivals are from LHR.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock