Just to be a bit pedantic wasn't the ATC tower and control always in the original terminal building right up until the new one was opened?
The tower in the current terminal was used purely for apron/ground movements until expansion of the terminal rendered it obsolete.

You are right of course rollo but it looked like a ATC Tower so in my eyes will always be a ATC Tower ;)

If my memory is correct they couldn't actually see the end of the runway from that tower so it was only used for ground movements?

Thanks everyone for the responses to my previous post, I really appreciate it. I will continue to add more classic pictures from BHX if I find any.

Anyway... not sure if anyone remembers, but Thomas Cook used to operate flights (might be charter flights) from Birmingham to Toronto YYZ using Boeing 757-200 aircraft. I flew with Thomas Cook all the way back in 2010 to visit family, and I found the 757 to be comfortable during the journey, despite the legroom being short. I booked using Canadian Affair.

It makes me wonder if they will have flights like this again in the future, hopefully using A330s from Birmingham. It's unlikely, but one can dream...

View attachment 11798
The plane that took us to YYZ.

View attachment 11799

View attachment 11800
Another 757 at YYZ.

View attachment 11801
Our ride back home.

Last edited:
Anyone ever see a caravelle using a drogue/drag chute after touchdown? There were pictures posted recently on the Elmdon ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- page of a JAT caravelle deploying one at Birmingham, apparently it was released just before arriving at the stand. Early caravelles didn't have thrust reversers so would have given the brakes a hard time without the chute. Never saw this myself despite seeing a diverted Air France example at Birmingham.

A few more of my BHX nostalgia photos.

On 19 May 1999, Villa Park hosted the UEFA Cup Winners Cup Final (my favourite of the European cup events, as there was always a possibilty of a lower ranked club being involved if they were to win the FA or League cup), between Mallorca and Lazio. This resulted in a huge influx of flights into BHX and was probably the busiest 'heavies' day in BHX's history.
Lazio went on to win 2-1 in what was sadly the last ever Cup Winners Cup competition.

Some of what visited -

View attachment 12260

View attachment 12261

How many 'Heavies' are present here -

View attachment 12262

View attachment 12263

CWC5.jpg

CWC6.jpg

CWC7.jpg

Wish it was always like that!

Kevin

surprised to see a BAC 1-11 in the British Midland livery, never knew they operated them, I guess it was a leased aircraft?

As you might guess from the registration 'G-WLAD' (Welsh Lad?), the aircraft had previously seen service with Airways-Cymru. I'm not sure if it was leased or not.
BMA also operated at least 2 One-Eleven 500's in the 1970's (G-AXLL and G-AXLM).
Picture and info on G-AXLL can be found here on Airteam Images -

BMA One-Eleven 500 G-AXLL

Kevin

As you might guess from the registration 'G-WLAD' (Welsh Lad?), the aircraft had previously seen service with Airways-Cymru. I'm not sure if it was leased or not.
BMA also operated at least 2 One-Eleven 500's in the 1970's (G-AXLL and G-AXLM).
Picture and info on G-AXLL can be found here on Airteam Images -

BMA One-Eleven 500 G-AXLL

Kevin
Glwad means country in Welsh

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock