A ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- group is reporting 747 G-BYGC (BOAC) is to be preserved at St Athan.

Not confirmed officially but the same ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- page made the call that the Negus 747 was to be preserved at Kemble which turned out to be correct.

Also on the 747. G-CIVW will be going to Dunsford aerodrome and will be used for filming and training,its in Kemble. Sorry i put this here as i thought another 747 preserved would go well with the last few posts.

I am sorry but BOAC Jumbo should rest somewhere easily accessible to those that wish to visit. Obvious place would be Heathrow or maybe Filton nearby the preserved Concorde. I have been to St.Athan and is not the easiest place to get to and is in my personal opinion, hardly the nicest place for a beutiful aircraft to sit where other birds are being torn to shreds!

I am sorry but BOAC Jumbo should rest somewhere easily accessible to those that wish to visit.
Better it preserved at St Athan than scrapped. There's already a museum there so a 747 display would add to that and it would be a nice tourism attraction for the area.

Better it preserved at St Athan than scrapped. There's already a museum there so a 747 display would add to that and it would be a nice tourism attraction for the area.

I totally agree - there’s also plenty of 747 engineers past and present living in South Wales who i’m sure would be keen to help out.

If the other 747 goes to duxford as rumoured, that will be another great place to display one.

Hopefully all of the special livery aircraft will be preserved!

The Concorde in Filton is now in a big viewing hall with a few other aircraft. They were rather slow to do this but the hold up was where to put the new building.
And finding the money. ;)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I agree that all liveries of B747 be preserved and at least one in flying condition. Anywhere is better than nowhere and the British habit of scrapping everything that is redundant should be avoided.

Vulcan to the skies did wonders and certainly a similar attempt to save a Queen in flying condition would be nice even if plenty of Cargo conversions remain

The Concorde in Filton is now in a big viewing hall with a few other aircraft. They were rather slow to do this but the hold up was where to put the new building.

Post said obvious place is Heathrow. There is a Concorde at Heathrow which is not being cared for and will be in a poor state.

I never mentioned anything about Filton however rather have it in South Wales since this is a Cardiff thread rather than in some place where it will be left to rot away.

Post said obvious place is Heathrow. There is a Concorde at Heathrow which is not being cared for and will be in a poor state.

I never mentioned anything about Filton however rather have it in South Wales since this is a Cardiff thread rather than in some place where it will be left to rot away.
You mean stick in Heathrow and be left in a state like Concorde?

Heathrow would be ideal, it’s such a shame the area is so crowded and property so expensive.

A BA chapee on ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- has said the Landor will not be going to Duxford.

I was saying nothing about the concorde in Heathrow. My post was information about the concorde in Filton. Not every one knows there is one there,also a lot of people dont know they have at last got it under cover. To base a 747 in Filton they would have to truck it in now as holes and houses on parts of the runway.I think we both got our wires crossed about the subject and sorry from this end for confussion i should have worded it different.

Personally I don't mind where they put it as long as it is looked after properly. The 747 seemed to have a personality unlike all the modern stuff aided by it's jumbo nickname.

I am sorry but BOAC Jumbo should rest somewhere easily accessible to those that wish to visit. Obvious place would be Heathrow or maybe Filton nearby the preserved Concorde. I have been to St.Athan and is not the easiest place to get to and is in my personal opinion, hardly the nicest place for a beutiful aircraft to sit where other birds are being torn to shreds!

Filtons runway has been closed for several years now so don’t think any large aircraft will ever be moved to Filton again. The Concorde at Filton isn’t in great condition either as it was outside for the best part of 15 years before it was moved into the building.

I hear you CARDIFFBAY, I neglected to consider RAF Cosford as a possible resting place for a BA Jumbo to sit along side the VC10. With one at Dunsfold, another at St Athan leaving the question of any other suitable site that could develop into a museum of Civil Aviation thus putting an end to the 'retire to scrap ' cycle.

I for one would visit such a place that had BAC 1-11, Vickers VC-10, Boeing 757, 767 and 747 all intact and if airworthy, licenced to operate pleasure flights thus raising revenue. This paying for upkeep and preservation.

Like myself, I understand aircraft have an 'end of life' regime to be faced and managed but some of these aircraft have plenty of life left in them and if not used for corporate revenue purposes then why not use them for other pursuits since they are now off the books for accounting reasons of having no value etc. other than scrap.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock