I suppose it is all resting upon the two Muppets aka Boris and The Donald coming to an equitable trade agreement that satisfies both countries AND the EU. The EU transition ends Dec.31 and potentially a new President occupies the White House so the future remains fluid and the Moon is made of cheese, American of course!

It would be good and with brand awareness of Aer Lingus in Birmingham very strong, it could be a recipe for success.

Would be great if it happens, don't think there are any other potential candidates for USA bound flights except for JetBlue. No chance of American and Delta talks were in progress however talks with airport turned sour.

Delta were looking to start a service to New York JFK however they scrapped plans as the airport were not willing to negotiate charges for Virgin Connect (Flybe) and they were not being flexible as any service was also reliant on these domestic connections. I was informed by a friend who works for one of the companies involved.

Sorry to shower on the parade, BUT surely Aer Lingus is part of IAG along with London Airways - whoops sorry, BA. How dare they consider diluting our lucrative Midlands business across the pond

Delta were looking to start a service to New York JFK however they scrapped plans as the airport were not willing to negotiate charges for Virgin Connect (Flybe) and they were not being flexible as any service was also reliant on these domestic connections. I was informed by a friend who works for one of the companies involved.

Haha can you blame them. Virgin connect/Flybe weren't paying airports their fees and were in a dire financial situation, not exactly a situation any airport would negotiate with. its probably for the best based on the above. If a delta service was only viable based on Virgin connect/Flybe connections, the subsequent collapse of the later would have resulted in the failure of the route and as such yet another US airline pull out of BHX. would rather wait for a more sustainable solution to arise!

If an airline such as Delta couldn't make it work then what hope do we have for the future?

Maybe we need a Primera 2.0 :censored:

Getting back to Aer Lingus I am yet to be convinced that this is anything more than trying to force some sort of action over the current restrictions.

And then we lost Flybe anyway, how typical of BHX. :ROFLMAO:

Delta should not have to rely on domestic connections imho. What were they looking at launching with a 777 ???????

Last edited:
AER LINGUS REGIONAL’S NEW SERVICE TO BELFAST CITY TAKES OFF

• Stobart Air, operator of Aer Lingus Regional, to service Birmingham route from new base at Belfast City Airport from today
  • Airline to operate four daily return flights from Birmingham
Monday, 14 September 2020 – Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air, has today (Monday) marked the beginning of its new route from Birmingham to Belfast.

Beginning today, the airline will operate up to four daily return flights from Birmingham Airport to Belfast City Airport with fares starting from £29.99 one way including taxes.

Stobart Air, operator of Aer Lingus Regional, will base five ATR72-600 aircraft at Belfast City Airport.

Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air, operates four routes from Birmingham including Dublin, Cork, Shannon and now Belfast City.

Following guidance from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), the World Health Organisation (WHO), and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), Stobart Air has implemented a number of enhanced health and safety measures to protect staff, crew and passengers. New measures include:

Enhanced aircraft cleaning:

To ensure the wellbeing of our passengers and crew, enhanced cleaning and disinfection procedures have been introduced for the aircraft cabin, which are in addition to the existing aircraft cleaning schedule. Each aircraft, including seats, armrests and tray tables will be subject to a daily disinfection process which provides surface protection from viruses for 24 hours.

On board measures:

Face coverings or masks are mandatory on all flights operated by Stobart Air for customers and cabin crew respectively, with the exception of small children and those who are unable to wear a face mask for medical reasons. The face coverings can be in the form of a reusable cloth mask or a disposable mask and it is recommended that these are worn from the time passengers enter the departure airport to the time they leave their destination airport.

Initially, when flights resume, the in-flight service will be suspended to reduce interaction between our crew and passengers. Passengers will be encouraged to remain seated while on board.

At the airport:

Stobart Air has introduced new boarding and disembarkation procedures to reduce passenger interaction. Passengers will board and disembark the aircraft in small groups and according to seat row numbers. At the boarding gate, customers will scan their own boarding card and show their passport or ID to the staff member, making this process contactless.

Tom Screen, Aviation Director at Birmingham Airport, said:

“We are delighted that Stobart Air has given customers the chance to fly to Belfast City Airport again direct from Birmingham Airport. This much needed domestic route comes under the Common Travel Area, ensuring customers can move easily and freely between England and Northern Ireland. The convenience of this route will appeal to both business and leisure customers needing direct access to the Emerald Isle.”

Commenting on the announcement, Stobart Air Managing Director Andy Jolly said:

“We are pleased to establish a base at Belfast City Airport and to work closely with Birmingham Airport, Belfast City Airport and our partners Aer Lingus to operate flights to and from Birmingham.

“Stobart Air has worked hard over the past number of months to protect our airline during challenging times and to position us for the future. The launch of this service is part of that.

“This new Aer Lingus Regional route will facilitate key links and connectivity between these cities and ensure we provide choice, value and convenience for our customers. We look forward to welcoming our passengers on board this Birmingham-Belfast route from today.”

Flights from Birmingham to Belfast start from £29.99 one way including taxes and are on sale now at www.aerlingus.com.

A sloppy technical error by Tom Screen in his press statement. Travel from Belfast to BHX is purely domestic within the UK. The CTA is between the UK ,Ireland, the Channel Isles and the IOM and results in minimum controls.

A sloppy technical error by Tom Screen in his press statement. Travel from Belfast to BHX is purely domestic within the UK. The CTA is between the UK ,Ireland, the Channel Isles and the IOM and results in minimum controls.

He obviously got excited about seeing the green airline back at BHX which for years has been flown on the above routes which fall within the CTA area. However and I am going to have a moan, it comes to something when we have to rely on a foreign airline to connect BHD to BHX, the last time I looked Belfast was still part of the United Kingdom and if this was any other country, then this route would be flown by the national carrier British Airways. But maybe that is for another time as I'm going political, lol

RANT OVER

Doesn't look like BHX-DUB is going to be back anytime soon ?? Surprised though that BHX is not on the network at all in October with our large Irish community ?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock