If i could get onto PPRune i'd ask the question to that person - where on earth are Jet2 getting an extra 22 planes alone for STN and BHX without taking into consideration the other bases which Jet2 slowly expand such as EDI, GLA, BFS, NCL, EMA and LBA?

CWL or BRS still stand a chance as an obvious hole within their network. Don't take what that person has said as gospel. BHX will be similar size to LBA was a few year ago. Seeing BHX same size as LBA will not surprise me but 21 aircraft at BHX. I don't see it.

Agreed - and the 757’s and 737 classics will have to be replaced eventually. There’s 29 757/733’s in service.

Agreed - and the 757’s and 737 classics will have to be replaced eventually. There’s 29 757/733’s in service.
Which means they'll have to find a lot of aircraft from somewhere to keep up their expansion but they have no more aircraft on order after the ones already due for delivery.

If the incredible expansion at places like BHX and STN, as well as expansion at the likes of LBA and MAN, works out then Jet2 might decide that at the moment (ie in the next year or two at least) there is no need to go to a new area just for the sake of it whilst existing and expanding bases are doing so well for the airline.

There was talk of US airlines getting rid of B737 700s but I don't think they would fit in with Jet 2s operations.

If the incredible expansion at places like BHX and STN, as well as expansion at the likes of LBA and MAN, works out then Jet2 might decide that at the moment (ie in the next year or two at least) there is no need to go to a new area just for the sake of it whilst existing and expanding bases are doing so well for the airline.

Depends if there is a further aircraft order on the agenda.

Which with 7 leased this summer, 757 coming up to their end in the next 5-10 years, the -300's long in the tooth, the continued success of BHX and STN plus other bases continued success, and eventual growth of more destinations (Italy, City Breaks, more holiday destinations) i can see aircraft order.

Which in turns leads to CWL or BRS or BOTH cropping up on the radar.

Someone has posted in the Cardiff Airport ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- group saying that their parents were told by the Captain on exiting a Jet2 flight that they would be able to fly Jet2 from Cardiff very soon. Rumors Rumors Rumors....

Yeah i seen that post! The post also said that the Captain told them after he heard their Welsh accents. Definitely a very interesting rumour!

This rumour has come from a flight deck member telling welsh passengers getting off a plane that soon they too can fly on Jet2 from Wales. I have read the social media post in question and there there is nothing more to it than here-say. Of course none of us are to know if theres any substance to this, and I do like a good rumour, however, having said that, airline crew are normally the last to know.... The only people that are going to be in the know regarding new bases or flights are the management of the airline and also of the potential airport.

This thread has been going since 2013, with strong rumours of bases also appearing in 2016, 2017 and now 2018.
I also remember last year a poster suggesting that he'd seen jobs going for based 738s at CWL for Summer 2017... and we are still waiting for that.

In all seriousness, let's just wait and see what happens. From the airports point of view, I'm sure they're very happy with TCX starting a month earlier from CWL in 2019 and also TUI basing an additional aircraft along with nine new departures per week.

One thing to remember is that Jet2s smaller bases offer no different destinations than TUI or TCX currently offer, nor offer the frequency of scheduled carriers like EZY, RYR and BEE. Therefore I'd have thought CWL may be cautious of having another carrier operate to the same destinations without potentially losing TCX or a downgrading of the TUI base. The same could be said for BRS of course...

There are one or two whispers currently circulating about CWL and Jet2 but whether these are self-perpetuating I have no idea. As Severn points out, we've been here before in recent years. Equally, there has been talk on another aviation website about Jet2 starting at BOH. If CWL or BOH, or both, have legs we should know within a few weeks if any service is to begin next summer.

Given the continued growth at BHX and STN, is there any indication that Jet2 would have sufficient aircraft and crews to begin substantial operations at a new base or bases in 2019?

There have often been whispers regarding Bristol and Exeter too so I wouldn't take it too seriously. I remember a rumour saying that Qatar was planning Bristol and I remember someone from cabin crew telling a colleague that EasyJet were starting flights from Cardiff. It's all speculation and I wonder whether definite plans would be shared with flight or cabin crew as I'm guessing it would be confidential

As Jet2 now operate throughout most of the UK it doesn't seem unreasonable to think they *might* open a base in the South West soon. I don't for one minute think Jet2 will be satisfied at serving the South West from Birmingham or London. I have no doubt they will want to crack the golden egg that is the South West. The setting up of the easyjet holidays brand came as no coincidence shortly after the inauguration of the Jet2holidays branding. Jet2 will be keen to take them on in their own patch.

Hint hint ...

I said just this week there may be something for Summer 2018. Keyword being ‘Maybe’ ... Maybe

I couldn’t dare speculate any further.

Unless that pilot is privy to what is being discussed at board level, i'm tempted to disregard anything any forward-facing staff member would say (i.e. cabin crew, ground crew) if only due to the fact that they are a plc and something like this would have to be released to the stock market first.

Hint hint ...

I said just this week there may be something for Summer 2018. Keyword being ‘Maybe’ ... Maybe

I couldn’t dare speculate any further.
I suspect it's a case of when, not if, Jet2 moves into the south-west quadrant of the country. I would make CWL favourite but would not rule out BOH either.

BOH has a very large reservoir of well-off, mainly older, residents who might well be attracted to Jet2 which is increasingly becoming a holiday airline. That airport would not attract much if any passenger traffic from South Wales though whilst CWL would be unlikely to see much from the distant South West which would be within BOH's range. Perhaps they'll both see Jet2 at some point.

I doubt that BRS is a starter because the airport has already said their preferred route to further passenger growth is mainly through existing partner airlines; parking space might be an issue although I think that yet more new aircraft stands might be coming soon at the eastern end of the airfield; a significant and sudden Jet2 presence might have an adverse effect on TUI and Thomas Cook, at least in the short term.

It is odd that a Captain would mention something like that to a passenger. The only info i could see him being privy to is maybe pilots jobs coming up for a CWL base internally or maybe a whisper from someone up high, i guess it depends on who he knows.
I think with Cardiff enthuiasts Jet2 offer hope of something different and an airline that can stem some of the flow of the 1.6 million passengers over the bridge to Bristol every year as airlines at CWL like KLM, TUI, TCX and FR do have an interest in in not stemming that flow as it no doubts helps to top up a lot of their BRS flights some to more degrees than others. So although a Jet2 base would offer more of the same as the others it would help to get CWL over the 2 million mark and on the way to 3 million and assuming they don't base at BRS Cardiff would have an airline that isn't worrying about it's BRS bottomline and would have the potential to grow and instead of people moaning about no flights they can moan it's too busy! Lol

I note that the PPRuNe poster who said that Jet2 would begin flying from Bournemouth next summer now admits his information was wrong. I don't know whether this makes a Jet2 presence at somewhere like CWL now more likely or not. A lack of aircraft and crews is often said to be a reason why Jet2 won't expand into another airport or other airports next year.

If there is to be news of a new airport for summer 19 it's likely that an announcement would be made by the end of September at the latest, probably earlier.

I don't think this has much bearing on base growth, but there's talk in the LBA thread that LS are looking for more 757's. It's a rumour, and no set reason for taking them on. Some have suggested for expansion and add extra capacity at Airports like MAN, LBA and STN. I wonder if it's other 757 replacement.
Looking at their 757 age range, the oldest is G-LSAG LN144 which is 31 years old and the youngest being G-LSAK LN754 being nearly 22 years young.
As a comparison TUI's oldest is G-BYAW (Prev Britannia) LN633 23.5 years old with the youngest G-OOBF (Prev First choice) LN1041 at 14.5 years old. It could be a possibility that any "new" 757 additions could replace the older models. With the A321neo introduced no doubt there will be a few older 757's becoming available.
Looking at airfleets.net it seems the youngest 757 in service is 13.8 years old.

A post on the dried fruit forum is saying that Jet2 will announce new bases in Q1 2019 at BRS, CWL and BCN summer only. Looks like the poster has got the info from a pilots job site.
Something to keep an eye on.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock