Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Birmingham Airport (IATA: BHX, ICAO: EGBB) lies approx 10 miles southeast of the city centre in the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull. The airport is owned by the Seven Metropolitan Boroughs of West Midlands (49%), Ontario Teachers Pension Plan (48.25%) with the remaining 2.75% as employee shares.

In 2017 Birmingham Airport saw 12,983,436 passengers making it the busiest year in the airports history and an 11.5% rise on the previous year.

http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/

A recent picture showing the now extended full length runway, taken 8th November 2014 by the Police Air Support Unit. The STS Engineering hangars can be seen to the right of the picture.

B17j2KwIQAAUfDL.jpg

Picture courtesy of NPAS Birmingham Twitter. https://twitter.com/NPASBirmingham

Birmingham now has one runway with 06/24 being decommissioned in 2008, it now forms parts of taxiways Tango and Lima. RWY 33/15 was recently extended to a distance of 3,052m (10,013ft) and is 45m wide with 7.5m paved shoulders either side giving a total width of 60m.

view

easyjet will be opening a new base at Birmingham in March 2024

Airlines and Destinations.

Aer Lingus - Airbus A320, A321

Dublin

Aer Lingus Regional - ATR

Belfast City
Dublin

Air France - Airbus A318, A319, A320, A321

Paris - Charles-de-Gaulle

Air India - Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Delhi
Amritsar

Aurigny - ATR

Guernsey

Brussels Airlines - SU9, A319

Brussels

Corendon Airlines - 737-800

Antalya
Dalaman

Easyjet - Airbus A319, A320, A321

Alicante
Amsterdam
Antalya
Barcelona
Belfast - International
Berlin
Corfu
Dalaman
Edinburgh
Enfidha
Faro
Fuerteventura
Geneva
Glasgow
Heraklion
Jersey
Kos
Larnaca
Lisbon
Lyon
Malaga
Milan - Malpensa
Palma
Paris - CDG
Rhodes
Sharm El Sheikh
Tenerife South

Emirates - Airbus A380, B777-300

Dubai International

Eurowings - Airbus A319, A320

Dusseldorf
Prague

Jet2 - Boeing 737-800, A321

Agadir
Alicante
Almeria
Antalya
Athens
Barcelona
Bodrum
Budapest
Catania
Chambery
Corfu
Dalaman
Dubrovnik
Faro
Fuerteventura
Funchal
Geneva
Girona
Gran Canaria
Grenoble
Heraklion
Ibiza
Innsbruck
Kalamata
Kefalonia
Krakow
Kos
Lanzarote
Larnaca
Marrakech
Malaga
Malta
Menorca
Mytilene
Naples
Nice
Olbia
Palma de Mallorca
Paphos
Paris CDG
Pisa
Porto
Prague
Preveza
Pula
Reus
Reykjavik
Rome
Rhodes
Salzburg
Santorini
Split
Skiathos
Thessaloniki
Tivat
Tenerife - South
Turin
Venice
Verona
Vienna
Zakynthos

KLM - Boeing 737-700, 737-800, 737-900, E190

Amsterdam

Loganair - E145, ATR

Aberdeen
Isle of Mann

Lufthansa - Airbus A319, A320, A321

Frankfurt
Munich

Pegasus Airlines - Airbus A320, A321

Istanbul-Sabiha Gökçen

Qatar Airways - Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Doha

Ryanair - Boeing 737-800

Agadir
Alicante
Barcelona
Bergamo
Bordeaux
Bucharest
Bydgoszcz
Cork
Corfu
Dublin
Faro
Girona
Grenoble
Gran Canaria
Knock
Kraków
Lanzarote
Lisbon
Madrid
Málaga
Malta
Marrakech
Tenerife-South
Ibiza
Murcia
Palma de Mallorca
Pisa
Porto
Poznan
Reus
Rhodes
Santander
Seville
Shannon
Sofia
Stockholm - Arlanda
Toulouse
Valencia
Venice
Verona
Warsaw - Modlin
Zadar

Saudia - Boeing 787-9, 787-10

Jeddah

Scandinavian Airlines - Airbus A319, A320, A321, CRJ-900

Copenhagen

Sun Express - Boeing 737-800

Antalya
Dalaman
Izmir

Swiss International Airlines - CS100, CS300, Airbus A319, A320, A321, Helvetic F100, E190

Zurich

TUi Airways - Boeing 737-800, 757, 787-8, 787-9 Dreamliner

Singapore
Barbados
Cancún
Montego Bay-Sangster
Orlando-Melbourne
Punta Cana
La Romana
Agadir
Alicante
Antalya
Boa Vista
Enfidha
Fuerteventura
Gran Canaria
Lanzarote
Hurghada
Málaga
Marrakech
Palma de Mallorca
Paphos
Sal
Sharm el Sheikh
Tenerife-South
Bodrum
Bourgas
Chambéry
Chania
Corfu
Dalaman
Dubrovnik
Enontekiö
Faro
Geneva
Genoa
Gerona
Heraklion
Ibiza
Innsbruck
Izmir
Kavala
Kefalonia
Kos
Kuusamo
Larnaca
Malta
Menorca
Naples
Pula
Reus
Rhodes
Rovaniemi
Salzburg
Santorini
Skiathos
Split
Sofia
Thessaloniki
Venice
Verona
Zakynthos

Turkish Airlines - Boeing 737-800, 737-900ER, 737 MAX8, 737 MAX9, Airbus A321

Istanbul

Vueling - Airbus A320, A321

Barcelona

Wizz Air - Airbus A320, A321

Budapest
Bucharest
Craiova

full

Air India B787 Dreamliner recently arrived from Delhi.

Hotel Accomodation

On site:

Holiday Inn
Novotel
Ibis
Ibis Budget
Travelodge
Hilton Garden Inn

In the immediate vicinity shared with the NEC:

Moxy Hotel
Ibis Styles
Hilton Metropole
Crowne Plaza
Holiday Inn Express
Premier Inn
Genting Hotel
Tristar Hotel
Arden Hotel

There are also numerous guest houses in the area.

full

Vueling A320 arriving from Barcelona.

Shopping

Landside: Spar, Marks & Spencer, Greggs, WHSmith, The Luggage Point.

Airside: Boots, Accessorize, World Duty Free, Dixons, Cloud Nails, Best of the Best, Discover England, Pandora, Eye Love, The Fashion Place, WHSmith, JD Sports, Hugo Boss, Superdry and The Watch Collection.

Food and Drink

Landside: Costa Coffee, Cafe Nero

Airside: Wetherspoons, Pret a Manger, Costa Coffee, Starbucks, Burger King, The Meriden Bar, Giraffe, Blanc et Noir Champagne Bar, All Bar One.

full

Qatar Airways 787 Dreamliner arriving from Doha.

History

Elmdon Airport as it was known then was opened by the Duchess of Kent on 8th July 1939 with the first flights going to Croydon, Glasgow, Liverpool, Ryde, Shoreham, Manchester and Southampton. During World War II the airport was requisitioned by the Air Ministry with the city not getting full responsibility back until 1 April 1960. The 2nd April 1966 saw the first jet flight to Palma on a BAC-111.

On 30th May 1984 Queen Elizabeth II opened the current building that is now Terminal 1, this included a Maglev rapid transit link between the airport and the railway station and NEC.

On 22nd July 1991 a second terminal (at the time called Eurohub) opened with Concorde making an appearance. This terminal was designed as a "hub and spoke" facility for British Airways offering connections on flights throughout the UK, Europe and their long haul flights to New York JFK, Toronto - Pearson and Chicago (operated by American Airlines).

In 2000 a terminal redevelopment opened with the 'Millenium Link' joining the two terminals for the first time, there was also a new customs and immigration hall, twelve new shops, a new baggage reclaim area, a new arrivals concourse, a new pier with three air bridges, and sixteen new check-in desks in Terminal 1.

In 2009 a new 240 x 24m pier opened providing seven wide body stand or 13 narrow body stands capable of handling the new generation of aircraft such as the A380, A350 and B787. In conjunction with the opening and the airports 70th anniversary the airport welcomed the UK's first commercial A380 flight outside of Heathrow with Emirates upgrading EK39/40 from the usual 777-300. The pier also houses the Emirates Business Class Lounge.

full

Emirates A380 departing back to Dubai.

In recent years the top floor of the Millenium Link has been transformed to hold a centralised security area effectively creating 'one terminal'. A new control tower opened on the western side of the airfield and the A45 has been diverted to allow for a runway extension.

On 22nd July 2013 the runway extension was officially opened with a China Southern A330 the first aircraft to make full use as it departed back to Beijing.

view

China Southern A330 from Beijing.

The Future

A second shorter runway to the south west of the current site has been proposed, unsurprisingly this met with vehement opposition from local residents, particularly those in Catherine-De-Barnes where a significant portion of the village would have been lost. Although never officially dropped this idea seems to have changed to a new runway to the south east of the site with a new terminal built alongside the new High Speed Two station. This remains only a vision with the Towards 2030 master plan focusing on the current site where possibilities include a new satellite pier where the remote 70's and 80's stands currently are, an extension or rebuild of T2 and a new T3 and apron expanding south onto what is now a long stay car park. A new master plan is due some time in 2016.

Cargo

Lufthansa Cargo

Frankfurt, Dublin

Top 20 International routes 2018

Dublin 923,313
Dubai 710,517
Amsterdam 703,047
Paris - CDG 412,080
Palma 383,348
Malaga 367,867
Alicante 357,780
Tenerife 333,730
Frankfurt 321,985
Dusseldorf 270446
Faro 253,213
Lanzarote 246,657
Barcelona 218,425
Munich 209,484
Las Palmas 176,874
Fuerteventura 149,776
Istanbul 145,539
Ibiza 141,764
Brussels 141,497
Antalya 136,284

Maintenance

In November 2013 Monarch Aircraft Engineering opened a two bay, state of the art maintenance facility located on the western side of the airfield. Visitor highlights have included several Fly Dubai 737's, RAF A330's and Norwegian 787 Dreamliners.

MAEL’s Birmingham facility can accommodate almost every aircraft type in its two bays. It incorporates industry-leading design and build standards and is one of the first to have the capacity for Boeing 787 Dreamliner maintenance, with sufficient capacity for other wide body aircraft, such as the Boeing 777, 747 and Airbus A350.

It is large enough to accommodate two Boeing 777-300ER aircraft or 10 narrow-body aircraft and contains a number of component-repair and back shops. The vast building, covering around 2.5 acres is big enough to house four full size football pitches, 2400 Minis or 450 double decker buses.
The maintenance facitlity is now operated by STS Aviation.

full

Royal Jordanian 787 Dreamliner receiving attention from MAEL.

Access

The terminals are linked to Birmingham International Railway Station by a people mover taking approx 90 seconds. The station is on the West Coast Mainline with 3-4 trains per hour to London Euston and taking 10-15 minutes to Central Birmingham

There are several bus services into Birmingham, Coventry and Solihull with others serving the surrounding suburbs. There are also National Express coaches to destinations nationwide.

The airport is situated on Junction 6 of the M42 giving quick access to the M6, M1, M5 and M40. Comprehensive road improvement works are happening over the next few years.

Birmingham Airport will have a High Speed Railway Station situated on the other side of the M42 with a people mover connecting the two. The HS2 station will put BHX approx 40 minutes from Central London.

Re: Birmingham Airport - Overview

I'm not sure if anyone can edit the above or just me, so if anybody wants anything added or changed post here or drop me a PM and I'll do it.

Thanks very much for this.

It would be nice to show an equivalent aerial photograph of the new airport configuration next to the current view of the old runway, perhaps with dates under each.

I'll be pasting copies of the destinations to friends and family (if copyright allows!) who I AM SURE do not appreciate the large choice that BHX provide. Actually when displayed this way, neither do I!

Good idea. I've added the only one I could find of the extended runway which was taken by the police helicopter, if anyone come across a better one then I'll swap them.

Great threat Ray Finkle!

The only way others can edit it is by selecting the quote option. From there remove the quote tags, edit and re-submit.

Keep one copy just in case somebody deletes a newly submitted post by accident.

I assume you mean great thread :LOL:

I have to admit to taking more than a little inspiration from yourself and The Local Yokel after reading similar threads about LBA and BRS :)

Re: Birmingham Airport - Overview [Updated 11/04/2015]

I've updated the overview to include the top 20 international routes of 2014.

Re: Birmingham Airport - Overview [Updated 03/06/2015]

I've updated this again to include the food and retail offer. If anyone has any pictures of the revamped departure lounge or possibly the new pier and the're happy to upload them I'll add them to the overview :)

Don't forget Brussels still sometimes use Q400s, KLM still have F70s and SAS CRJ900s. The TK A332 looks more and more like a one-off as we haven't seen any more :s_sad
Also Vueling are still showing as starting on May 23.

Yeah I wasn't sure whether to put A330 for Turkish, my reasoning was that as it was an upgrade due to high loads rather than an aircraft sub I'd add it. I thought if it becomes a semi regular occurrence then it deserves to be there. Maybe I'll leave it till this Christmas and see if there are anymore upgrades, if not I'll remove it. Unless people would prefer me to delete it now, I'm happy to do so?

All the rest I've updated :good:

Re: Birmingham Airport - Overview [Updated 27/10/2015]

I've done a quick update.

I've removed Sleepbox Hotel as all seems to have gone quiet, also the Ramada has changed to IBIS Styles, it looks quite nice.

Upper Crust has now gone and Est Presso has changed to Cafe Ritazza.

I've also updated the new airlines and routes, I have to say things look so much better than they did 12 months ago :good:

If anyone is passing through soon and fancies getting a photo of the departure lounge and wouldn't mind putting the pic on there please add it, just so it's not all planes. It doesn't look like I'll be going through until at least next May so if someone else does beforehand? :smile:

If anyone looks through and notices something that should, or shouldn't, be there then let me know.

Update again, I don't think I've missed anything?

Ryanair to Madrid?

Also Air France have started using the "baby 'Bus" A318s again of late.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock