Random Stuff!

Advertisement

HPsauce

Feb 11, 2020
Birmingham B36
An article in today's Sunday Times about the demise of Ian Allen Bookshops. The Birmingham branch closed a few years ago, along with Manchester and Cardiff branches. Although primarily aimed at railway enthusiasts initially, they went on to cater for all aspects of travel, with an excellent range for aviation lovers. Many happy hours were spent in the Brum shop. Stephenson Street i recall.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
It was Ian Allen that helped educate me in aircraft recognition and his books were required reading. I admit to not remembering the Birmingham shop though a reminder will rectify that!!

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
An article in today's Sunday Times about the demise of Ian Allen Bookshops. The Birmingham branch closed a few years ago, along with Manchester and Cardiff branches. Although primarily aimed at railway enthusiasts initially, they went on to cater for all aspects of travel, with an excellent range for aviation lovers. Many happy hours were spent in the Brum shop. Stephenson Street i recall.

Weren't Ian Allen involved in the BHX viewing lounge at some point as well?

Kevin

HPsauce

Feb 11, 2020
Birmingham B36
I can't confirm that Kevin. I don't recall Ian Allen having any presence at BHX. We certainly had the Ron Swinburn Aviation shop, situated in the Viewing Gallery entrance (upstairs) at what was then the new 1984 built terminal. Prior to that Swinburn had what amounted to a shed to trade from on Hanger Road on the old Elmdon side.

Brummiegem

Apr 10, 2014
Birmingham
Thank you for the correction Kevin.
I visited the store shortly after it opened. The store has generally the same sort of items that Ian Allen stocked,just on a smaller scale.
However as already mentioned,Internet ordering is available,also if here is a particular item,book,model etc you are after,it can be ordered. Give the man a call or visit.I have ordered some Gemini Jets models that weren’t originally going to be stocked.Very friendly and obliging.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.