You can also get a good view from the bank in the grounds of Speke Hall NT...but of course you have to pay to.get in, but it' a nice place to visit. That's at the Liverpool end of Runway.

New route and airline from mid August, twice weekly Monday and Friday Liverpool to Bergen.

E190 will operate the route, this airline has already operated charters to Liverpool for football and city break traffic, so hopefully a scheduled operation should do well.

Liverpool Airport celebrates it's 85th anniversary today.

LIVERPOOL AIRPORT TO CELEBRATE ITS 85TH ANNIVERSARY ON SUNDAY

Liverpool John Lennon Airport celebrates a milestone event this weekend – the 85th anniversary of its official opening.

On 1st July 1933, the Marquis of Londonderry, Secretary of State for Air, officially opened the Airport, which was followed by one of the largest civil air displays seen at the time.

First thought about in the late 1920s, Speke in south Liverpool was chosen for the location of the Airport because of the geography of the site and its good year round weather record – reasons still important at today’s airport.

Almost 100 million passengers have travelled to or from Liverpool Airport since its official opening in 1933 and much has changed over the past 85 years, however, Liverpool continues to play a significant role in the connectivity of the North West and beyond.
Liv_bigger_walk.jpg

LJLA, which currently handles around five million passengers per annum, is also one of the regions major employers, attracting inward investment and bringing significant tourism benefits, helping to boost the region’s economy.

According to the gateway, it is a "significant driver of prosperity in the region and the North West and North Wales as a whole, bringing an estimated £250 million per annum in GVA and supporting 6,000 jobs across the Liverpool City Region".

LJLA is one of three UK gateways celebrating birthdays this summer – Gatwick turned 60 in June 9 and London Luton is 80 years old on July 16.

Last edited:
Liverpool John Lennon airport celebrates 85th anniversary
by Phil Davies Jun 29th 2018, 10:45
easid-306796-media-id-15518.jpg

Liverpool John Lennon airport marks the 85th anniversary of its official opening this weekend.

Officially opened on July 1, 1933, followed by one of the largest civil air displays seen at the time, Liverpool is one of the UK’s oldest operational airports.

Speke in south Liverpool was chosen to locate the airport because of the geography of the site and a good year-round weather record.

Almost 100 million passengers have traveled to or from the airport since its official opening.

It currently handles five million passengers per year with flights to almost 70 destinations in the UK and across Europe.

A rock star and his band that personally i've never heard of had been kicking of via social media on the delay he experienced through security . There sounds like a mistake was made in the area he was sent to for the check to be completed, however it also appears that the 65 pieces of luggage had items not allowed on board including liquids . To me the fella comes across as a bit of a prima donna !!

Rock star’s tirade against Liverpool John Lennon Airport
LJLA1.jpg

Transport |
July 01 2018
|

Write a comment

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to LinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterShare to ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***-***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***-Share to Google+Google+Share to EmailEmailShare to PrintPrint
Rock star Steve Van Zandt launched a blistering attack on Liverpool John Lennon Airport today, even calling on Yoko Ono to remove John Lennon’s name from the site.

The E Street Band guitarist posted a Tweet on his account this afternoon, criticising his band’s experience while being checked by security on arrival at Liverpool.

He tweeted: “Warning Rock Bands! Do not leave Liverpool from John Lennon Airport. The most arrogant and obnoxious security in 40 years of travel! Take the hour trip to Manchester it can’t be worse! Liverpool! Of all places! Best audience, worst airport. Yoko should remove John Lennon’s name!”

Van Zandt is currently in the UK touring with his band, Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul, which played the Liverpool O2 Academy last night, June 30.

Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LJLA) spokesman Robin Tudor was quick to apologise today, explaining that the security handling agent processed the band in the wrong area of the airport on their arrival.

He said Van Zandt’s 26-strong party arrived by private flight at LJLA.

“They took an age to get through security because the handling agent processed them through the wrong area,” said Mr Tudor.

He explained: “The handling agent deciced to process them through CP1, which is an area where staff and vehicles go through to get on to the airstrip.

“There were 26 in the party with all their luggage, equipment, liquids, etc.

The airport has acknowledged its mistake but this man - I'd never heard of him either and by this afternoon I will have forgotten his name - is really up himself if he believes he is so important that the poor service he received should lead to the airport's name being changed.

The airport has acknowledged its mistake but this man - I'd never heard of him either and by this afternoon I will have forgotten his name - is really up himself if he believes he is so important that the poor service he received should lead to the airport's name being changed.

I have had friends who have been cabin crew, and they have mentioned about certain show biz types full of their own self importance.

The airport has advised that a grass fire on the old Liverpool Airport site has been put out. Flights
were unaffected.

Is that the bit at the back of the Crowne Plaza Hotel?...Real place to stay for nostalgia fans..The old arrivals door from the pan is now, I believe, part of the dining room. But the Art Deco just oozes the glamour days of flying. Not cheap but worth it for a one off.

Yes that's right the old terminal building is a hotel now and it is an iconic art deco building. The control tower I think is part of the best bedroom which is in the middle of the building...with each side of that designed like wings. I have been there for dinner once, lots of style and memorabilia.

Glamour days !

We stayed there once, overnight, before a flight and were lucky to get a room in the old part overlooking the pan and the parked up old aircraft.After that it was the Premier Inn. But have to say Liverpool is my favourite airport, so might get back there sometime soon.

We stayed there once, overnight, before a flight and were lucky to get a room in the old part overlooking the pan and the parked up old aircraft.After that it was the Premier Inn. But have to say Liverpool is my favourite airport, so might get back there sometime soon.

Perhaps they have deals to stop there, like with hotels.com or bookings.com ? Glad your enjoying flying from LPL.

“The handling agent deciced to process them through CP1, which is an area where staff and vehicles go through to get on to the airstrip.

“There were 26 in the party with all their luggage, equipment, liquids, etc.

It's a bizarre choice for a handling agent to offer to take passengers through a staff channel. Usually this kind of treatment is only given to VIPs such as the Queen who don't require security screening.

Taking passengers through a security channel designed for staff passage is always a bad idea and the handling agent should have known better. Contrary to what people probably believe, staff entry points can be extremely busy.

Fuel tankers, air crews, catering crews and so on along with their vehicles and equipment all needs searching to the same standard as through general passenger CSZ screening areas.

The passage of passengers through into the CP through a staff entry point would likely result in questions being asked by security possibly to their own management which would lead to further delay.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock