Sad to report 2 more sporting deaths following on from last week's death of F2 driver Anthoine Hubert.

The 1st one should be considered iconic - Chester Williams who played rugby union for South Africa and was notable for being the breakthrough black player in that side in a sport that was primarily perceived to be played professionally by only white people in that country. He was only 49 years old.

The 2nd one is the former Pakistan cricketer Abdul Qadir,who was the leading light in maintaining the art of leg-spin bowling. His statistics don't reflect his skill but I've seen it noted that when Pakistan who 10 consecutive Test series in the 1980s, their leading bowler was Imran Khan (no surprise) with 125 wickets with Qadir being the 2nd best with 116. Undoubtedly had he been picked more consistently prior to Imran being made captain then his record would be way better, as it would nowadays with the advent of DRS helping spinners get more wickets.That all the tributes by so many leading players make reference to him keeping a "lost" skill alive speaks volumes to where he stands in the history of the game.

Very sad to hear about the passing of Bob Willis.

I echo those sentiments. He was very much his own man but what a wonderful bowler. He was quick and from his 6'6 frame could be fearsome. For much of his career he bowled in considerable pain following surgery on his knees. A pal of mine was at school with him at the Royal Grammar School in Guildford.

His 8 wicket-haul to win the 1981 Headingley Ashes test match is something I will never forget. I watched the entire innings live on the BBC, expecting an easy Australian win and only began to take a real interest when the fourth Australian wicket went down. He seemed to be possessed that day - almost in a trance. When he took the final (winning) wicket he just kept going and ran across the pitch into the pavilion seemingly oblivious to anyone else.

Yes, it's very sad to learn of his death. RIP.

Can only echo the above Bob was the other half of "Bothams ashes" I also watched the final two days on the BBC a truly memorable sporting moment, rest in peace Bob a sad day indeed.

When I got a "breaking news" notification about this at work, all I can say is I'm glad only 1 or 2 people came to ask me something as they would have seen me with one or two tears in my eyes. From the brink of not playing for England to becoming a legend to then captaining the side us something that no-one would have foresaw at the start of the 1981 season. What marked him as a pundit was the steadfast refusal to accept mediocrity on the field. RIP.

Another small part of my childhood has gone :(

The Conservation Foundation is greatly saddened to announce the death on 11th December 2019 of Professor David Bellamy OBE, our co-founder and President. The Foundation was very special to David and he was very special to us.

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year had a list of those with a sporting background who have sadly passed away during the course of this year. Some more widely known and reported in this thread but all will be missed no matter what the contribution they did for their sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/50781741
Thank you for that link, David.

A lot of names there bring back times gone by - happy memories even if my teams with which some were involved didn't always win.
RIP to all.

Another of England's World Cup winning squad of 1966 has passed away Martin Peters aged 76

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50880336
Very sad to lean of this news. I still remember that July afternoon over 53 years ago as if it was yesterday. Most of us thought that Martin Peters had scored England's winning goal only for the West Germans to equalise late on that led to extra time and Geoff Hurst taking centre stage.

Martin Peters had a reputation of being a gentleman on and off the pitch and a forward thinker in the game ahead of his time.

RIP.

Neil Peart RIP

Deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Neil Peart (67), drummer and lyricist of Canadian rock trio RUSH.

Neil Peart, BBC News 10 Jan 2020

I first heard RUSH when I was 14 (1978) and I have followed them ever since. I have seen them six times in concert and the last time, they were on stage for over three hours (they did have a short break half way through).
A few examples of his work -

RIP Neil. I know I'll be listening to your music and have your lyrics in my head for as long as I live.

Kevin

I wasn't aware of Derek Acorah but I remember Derek Fowlds from his numerous television appearances. He was a very versatile actor.

He lived near Bath for many years. Some years ago I was sitting in the waiting room of the old Bath Rheumatic Hospital where I was undergoing investigation for a hand problem.

The hospital was located in a splendid but old-fashioned building in the centre of Bath and its waiting room was small. Apart from me the only other people waiting were an elederly couple. After a few minutes who should walk in and sit down in one of the chairs but Derek Fowlds who was also obviously a patient. He smiled and bid us all good morning.

The old lady's face was a picture. She'd obviously recognised him and seemed to have trouble closing her mouth as she loooked across like a teenager encountering her favourite pop star, or whatever they're called these days. She kept nudging her husband who either didn't know of Derek Fowlds or, if he did, must have regarded his presence as no big deal.

May both Dereks RIP.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock