Advertisement

The Official Tribute Thread

Advertisement

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
Deadly Doug had claret and blue running through his vains I'm sure he will look down on Villa Park just to keep an eye on things

R.I.P. Doug from a bluenose.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #169
If i remember correctly he was part of a team that sabotaged the Nazi's nucleur weapons programme by sinking a barge carrying heavy water in a Norwegian Fjord. The course of the war may well have been different if his team had failed. RIP.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #170
Former BBC newsreader Richard Baker has died at the age of 93.

The son of a plasterer, London-born Baker introduced the first news bulletin broadcast on BBC TV in July 1954.

Land23R

May 9, 2014
Cheshire
I've particularly fond memories of Richard Baker. As I had an interest in newsreaders, many years ago my wife tried to get me a book he had written "Here is the News" as a birthday present, but it was out of print. She therefore wrote to him c/o the BBC and he very kindly sent a signed free copy with a personal note. A good read and it remains on our book shelf.

The news readers were not seen in the earliest bulletins as it was thought facial expressions might 'colour' the news being broadcast. Thankfully, that policy was quickly stopped and Richard Baker, Kenneth Kendall and Robert Dougall became familiar faces on our screens.
Dougall had been a news reader on the Home Service previously.

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks aged 63
I was saddened to read this news a lttle earlier on the BBCi website.
Pete Shelley helped define the sound of the late 70's and early 80's and it's sad to read that he has been taken from us at such a relatively young age.
It's always hard to click the 'Like' button in these circumstances, but I do so in recognition to his contribution to the sounds of my youth.

R.I.P. Pete

Kevin

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
Met my wife to be at Solihull Civic Hall in November 1969 when Marmalade performed their number one Obladi O bla Da so RIP and thank you for what is our song via Lennon and McCartney.

Advertisement

Top Bottom