Hi there all, why do we keep losing these routes for. Andyc
In the case of NYC, YYZ, ARN, GIB, GOT, NUE, LUX, TLS, BIA, BIQ, HAM, HAJ, VLC and a few of the Greek islands - it just seems to be that BHX went for the "quick fix". BHX accepted offers from the likes of Flybe, bmi regional, Monarch, and Primera and seemingly didn't bother trying to build its relationships with more financially stable airlines.

Some of the more established airlines may have been turned off precisely because of the prospect of competition from the above mentioned airlines' operations at BHX undermined the business case, or else BHX wanted to protect those airlines knowing that they weren't in the best state financially.

Flybe are still here and their presence may be one of the things putting off easyjet and Ryanair from growing, especially as BHX depends on Flybe a lot more than other airports and will want to keep them happy.

Hi there Ray, can you honestly see Birmingham Airport going beyond 13,000,000 plus at all... Andyc

It will and most likely in the next couple of years.

It's not the numbers that concern me but the lack of so many routes with others underserved. The likes of Athens, Stockholm, Hamburg Reykjavik, NY, Toronto etc simply need to be available direct from a city with Birmingham's ambitions. We also have under capacity to the likes of Rome, Milan, Berlin, Lisbon (although it's coming back it needs more than 2x weekly), Venice and now Prague.

What's the point of smashing passenger records if all you keep doing is doubling, trebling or even quadrupling Malaga and Alicante?

From the airport's point of view, does it really matter where they fly as long as they make a profit?

From the airport's point of view, does it really matter where they fly as long as they make a profit?

I'm sure the airports senior management/shareholders don't really care about where you can fly to and with which airline, they just care about profit and what the bottom line is, and how much money they can make.

The airport is a business, so has to make money, please the shareholders etc., but aren't all UK airports in the same boat?

Birmingham just seems to be very cautious, they are happy to plod on, increase passengers numbers slightly and profits too.

If only they could take the bull by the horns, be more aggressive, take chances, do deals with airlines, that might not be financially advisable, but could increase passengers, and ultimately increase profits? Manchester does it? Luton does it? Stansted? Bristol? Why can’t Birmingham?

take a chance for a couple of years? Be ambitious? ;)

I think BHX did take a chance but got their fingers burnt. They took a chance on air Sylhet, Hellenic imperial, fly erbil, Primera, Iceland express, Air Blue, and others, as well as carriers like American and BA being short season wonder's, so maybe now why they are being a little more cautious.

Maybe taking the 'slowly slowly' approach to get quality over quantity

I'd probably agree with being cautious.

Think about all of the time, effort and money that it must have taken to get in someone like Norwegian with their plans of growing a base, only to see them walk away again a couple of years later. I think I'd be cautious about handing out deals in the future. Once bitten twice shy and all that.

take a chance for a couple of years? Be ambitious? ;)

As far as loco's go when it comes to expanding the route network and bringing in the punters there are really only two players in town but how badly do BHX want them?

I recall Chisinau being announced, but did it ever operate? Two or three years ago, I think.

It about the city. We want investment coming in not holiday money going out. If the airport was selfishly looking at profit then you are right. The airport is part owned by the local councils so pure profit is not their motivation...or least should not be. Make money, yes, but bolster the city region economy is essential.

At the end of the day unless government (local or national) subsidise a route, it has to make money for the airline that operates it, regardless of how the airport or local council owners feels about a particular route.

BHX (and every other airport) is at the mercy of the airlines. No matter how much evidence the airport puts forward for a route, if the airline the airport wants to operate said route has no interest or their own analysis says it won't make them any money, they won't serve that route.

Even once an airline agrees to serve BHX in principle, there are many other hurdles for the airport/airline to overcome before a route is even announced let alone first operate!

Even once an airline agrees to serve BHX in principle, there are many other hurdles for the airport/airline to overcome before a route is even announced let alone first operate!
No doubt there is a lot of planning before a new route commences.On other threads we see years being mentioned!
However at this time of year when, you see the waves of new routes announced by Ryanair.Easy.Wizzair etc it does make you wonder if BHX
has some paticularly high hurdles to overcome.
Or could it be that the long planning scenario is really an excuse for the fact nothing is happenng?

Hi there Ray and all, if any new potential airlines were to come to Birmingham, are we looking at domestic UK routes only, European routes or even long haul worldwide routes, which would be the better for Birmingham.. Andyc

are we looking at domestic UK routes only, European routes or even long haul worldwide routes, which would be the better for Birmingham

The main domestic routes of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Belfast are now quite well covered. It remains to be seen what Flybe/Virgin do with the likes of Aberdeen and Inverness. Maybe more to NQY in the future?

Europe has been well discussed. Oslo, Stockholm, Reykjavik, Valencia, Helsinki, Riga, Gibraltar, Mytilene, Kalamata, Hamburg, Hanover, Toulouse....... do I need to go on?

Long haul needs NY and Toronto back as a priority. BHX keep mentioning talks surrounding the likes of Mumbai and Hong Kong but the wait continues. I'd love to see Cuba but won't hold my breath.

Seventeen more destinations now added to the recently lost routes list :(

New York - Newark
Toronto
Goa
Phuket
Reykjavik
Stockholm
Valencia
Hanover
Hamburg
Chisinau
Mytilene
Gibraltar
Toulouse
Florence
Varna
Rennes
Limoges
Orly
Nuremburg
Luxembourg
Bastia
Biarritz
Lisbon
Madrid
Berlin - Tegel
Bordeaux
Isle of Man
Lyon
Milan - Malpensa
Stuttgart
Avignon
Brest
Nantes
La Rochelle
Newquay
Knock

Perpignan
Alghero
Catania
Porto Santo
Nice

Seventeen more destinations now added to the recently lost routes list :(

New York - Newark
Toronto
Goa
Phuket
Reykjavik
Stockholm
Valencia
Hanover
Hamburg
Chisinau
Kalamata
Mytilene
Gibraltar
Toulouse
Florence
Vilnius
Varna
Rennes
Limoges
Orly
Nuremburg
Luxembourg
Bastia
Biarritz

Aberdeen
Belfast City
Berlin - Tegel
Bordeaux
Guernsey
Inverness
Isle of Man
Jersey
Lyon
Milan - Malpensa
Stuttgart
Avignon
Brest
Nantes
La Rochelle
Newquay
Knock
Three of our biggest airlines lost in three years. It stinks but this is the new reality.

All those job losses. Depressing.

Hi there all, as I have said before in my post, let's wait to see Birmingham City Council come out with there fake sympathy story for flybe, because they along with the six other councils request charges for the airport to be paid back to them in profit.... Andyc

So here is what i think could happen to the lost routes, it might take a while and not all the airlines are in a position to grow straight away but the options are out there for most of them

Aberdeen - Eastern Airways
Belfast City - can't see it returning soon but easyJet could always add frequency on BFS
Berlin - Tegel - easyJet or maybe Ryanair to SXF?
Bordeaux - can't see it returning unless we get more based from EZY/RYR
Guernsey - Aurigny/Blue Islands
Inverness - Loganair
Isle of Man - Stobart Air
Jersey - Aurigny/Blue Islands
Lyon - easyJet
Milan - Malpensa - easyJet or Ryanair
Stuttgart - no idea
Avignon - no idea
Brest - served by Ryanair but only from a few airports so probably unlikely
Nantes - see Bordeaux
La Rochelle - Jet2
Newquay - no idea
Knock - Ryanair

A snip from quote last night, some limited hope (this is posted to BHX airport Important updates section of the web site)

A spokesperson for Birmingham Airport said: “It is with regret to receive the news that flybe has collapsed and therefore ceased trading with immediate effect.

“Our priority now is to support passengers who were scheduled to travel from Birmingham over the coming days by providing onsite customer support and information.

“Passengers due to travel with flybe should not to come to the Airport as there will be no more flights with the airline from the UK.

“A number of routes operated by flybe are served by other carriers from Birmingham, and we already have arrangements for two airlines to replace five of its routes in the next few weeks. We will continue to engage with other airlines to replace the remaining capacity for our region and customers.”

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock