As it stands at 19.21pm on Monday 13th January 2020, I do not feel very optimistic about the future of BHX.

In fact I feel so downbeat about the whole place it makes me very sad. :cry:

Hi there Brumx, I totally agree with you on that, bhx can't fully rely on Jet2 and EasyJet at all, because if flybe do collapse, then whose going to soak up all 29 routes just like that, no one else will. It will be a disaster for bhx, this collapse has been caused by Virgin, Stobart Air and Cyrus capital, these are the ones that didn't properly look at flybe books, its a repeat of monarch. Andyc

this collapse has been caused by Virgin, Stobart Air and Cyrus capital, these are the ones that didn't properly look at flybe books

Flybe was in financial trouble before they got taken over, so I don't think you can put all the blame on them. When the takeover was announced, many speculated Flybe as it currently exists would go and be replaced by a feeder airline into Virgins ops at LHR & MAN. So far that hasn't happened.

I think its worth remembering which "league" BHX is in. As highly as many of us view BHX, either present or past, it's not in the same league as the larger airports. BHX has long been the leader of the regional airport (BRS, NCL, LPL, EMA, LBA, etc), and even now is still doing very well in comparison.

I think its worth remembering which "league" BHX is in. As highly as many of us view BHX, either present or past, it's not in the same league as the larger airports. BHX has long been the leader of the regional airport (BRS, NCL, LPL, EMA, LBA, etc), and even now is still doing very well in comparison.
And we should also remember that there is only one large airport in the UK that does not claim to be a London airport..

It could be any from a whole host of reasons but it's not uncommon for announcements to get pushed back. I remember Paul Kehoe commenting that Qatar had delayed the BHX announcement by a week, he didn't give any reasons as to why.

I don't think that we ever heard anything official from easyjet saying there was an announcement this week, it seems to have stemmed from the opinion of someone on another forum? Of course I have know idea how informed they are.
Perhaps Easyjet not commited to the Midlands airports. They dropped East Midlands a few years ago. They seemed to have cherry picked routes out of BHX that they could make money on.

Cllr Ian Ward is confident that we will start seeing a range of new long haul services.

While I highly doubt we will see direct flights to Sydney, he has apparently been talking to reps from Cathay Pacific and China Southern, which sounds very encouraging that all the upheaval in China/Hong Kong hasn't killed their interest in BHX (y)

I think the fact he mentions Sydney just goes to show how much credibility his statements carry. Whilst there almost certainly was demand for a Hong Kong service, coronavirus and the recent protests in Hong Kong will have surpassed that for a few years.

Out of the destinations mentioned Hong Kong's the most likely, but that'll probably be closer to 2025 than 2022. Manchester doesn't even have flights to most of those mentioned, so the idea we'll have them by 2022 is laughable I'm afraid.

I think the fact he mentions Sydney just goes to show how much credibility his statements carry. Whilst there almost certainly was demand for a Hong Kong service, coronavirus and the recent protests in Hong Kong will have surpassed that for a few years.

Out of the destinations mentioned Hong Kong's the most likely, but that'll probably be closer to 2025 than 2022. Manchester doesn't even have flights to most of those mentioned, so the idea we'll have them by 2022 is laughable I'm afraid.

He must be in his CWG 2022 bubble Coathanger16 and is just assuming we will have flights to Sydney, indeed it is laughable but what do you expect from Ian Ward. Somebody you never hear from anymore since Andy Street got into power.

I would go as far as to say what is the point of a leader of Birmingham City Council ?? What powers do they have anyway ??

As for Hong Kong, well that one has been kicked down the road for a few more years becouse of the current situation in China, yes a few more grey hairs and wrinkles before this one will ever get out of the ground. :cigar:

LA nope .

Any extra UK slots that become available at Haneda WILL go the Slough Windsor Spelthorne Hounslow and Hillingdon regional .

Shanghai maybe however even without the Corona Virus outbreak the CAAC and the party have been strangling Chinese tourist access to VISAs for about year now -These are necessary to fill the back of plane seats and the Chinese growth is now being brought under control - The party can’t continue to fund the eye watering debt the aviation industry is carrying.

By the way China Southern international presence in Shanghai is almost exclusively in the movement of boxes .

They do not operate any long haul passenger services from the city (either airport) and only a fairly limited domestic network back to their primary hub in Guangzhou Canton.

Sorry it’s wrong carrier for this city under the CAAC managed hub operation and Birmingham Airport route development team must know this else they’re being hoodwinked

Sydney beyond a one off charter to collect athletes on the way home well laughable !

Cllr Ian Ward is confident that we will start seeing a range of new long haul services.

While I highly doubt we will see direct flights to Sydney, he has apparently been talking to reps from Cathay Pacific and China Southern, which sounds very encouraging that all the upheaval in China/Hong Kong hasn't killed their interest in BHX (y)

We know BHX have been talking to Cathay for a while and hopefully eventually they will come ?
But a range of new long haul services - I really cannot see it !
Hope to be proven wrong.

By the way China Southern international presence in Shanghai is almost exclusively in the movement of boxes .

They do not operate any long haul passenger services from the city (either airport) and only a fairly limited domestic network back to their primary hub in Guangzhou Canton.

Not that I think it will happen, but I think any talks ongoing with China Southern would be to Beijing, as they're trying to grow their presence there at the new Daxing airport - from June (already pushed back from March due to Coronavirus) they're meant to be launching a 5 weekly A380 service to Heathrow.

With Manchester only just (maybe, maybe not) getting a Shanghai service, BHX will be well down the list.

Not that I think it will happen, but I think any talks ongoing with China Southern would be to Beijing, as they're trying to grow their presence there at the new Daxing airport - from June (already pushed back from March due to Coronavirus) they're meant to be launching a 5 weekly A380 service to Heathrow.

With Manchester only just (maybe, maybe not) getting a Shanghai service, BHX will be well down the list.

Agreed China Southern have be awarded the preferred Hub operator out of Daxing .

Interestingly their only European route todate from the Capital has been to Amsterdam and that’s been more anomalous - they actually acquired these rights as a staging point from Guangzhou as their A332 didn’t have have sufficient range and performance !

They will additionally start London in the spring along with Paris Istanbul and Moscow from Daxing .

Caveat their onward connections across the rest of the Empire will remain pretty limited in 2020/21 though !

China Southern spear of influence is centred on Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Urumqi and somehow can’t quite see many Uighurs travelling to or from Birmingham anytime soon - Muslim or not !

Hehe, I thought this article may have caused a bit of a stir :)

Lets look at it in context

Direct flights to Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney and LA from Birmingham are most definitely looking like a reality in 2022.

This is not in any sort of quotation marks so appears to be nothing more than the opinion of the author of the article and I think most of us on here are well aware that it's a very long shot indeed. The article also states that the airport are 'aiming to increase capacity by 5 million passengers a year' which is some pretty serious growth :ROFLMAO:

The only airlines mentioned in quotations are Cathay Pacific and China Southern and I believe there may be some credibility.

As Ian has already mentioned, BHX have been talking to Cathay for a while and there is/was definite interest there. Maybe HS2, the Commonwealth Games and the inevitable boost both will bring could be just enough to get it across the line?

I'm not convinced that anything permanent from China Southern is on the horizon but I could see a series of charter flights organised for the summer of 2022. The last lot were sold out so I don't see why Commonwealth Games packages wouldn't be popular.

In the meantime maybe they could work on getting back Hamburg, Gibraltar, Stockholm, Valencia, NY, Toronto, Kalamata etc.......

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock