Who is the airline?

As it's in the Primera thread on that other website I presume it's them.

If that was possible then I would love to see the financial model that supports the route. Southampton claim to fame is to break the 2m passengers in 2017, 8 airlines, 89% dominated by Flybe with the top route to Jersey and 2018 passengers down on 2017
That would be an eye opener !!!

I suspect the physical limitations of SOU (1723-metre runway) would be an obstacle before any commercial considerations were even contemplated. I don't know whether 2 mppa in itself would be a barrier. CWL now has a Qatar route and as an airport handles fewer passengers each year than SOU.

Who is the airline?

As it's in the Primera thread on that other website I presume it's them.

If that was possible then I would love to see the financial model that supports the route. Southampton claim to fame is to break the 2m passengers in 2017, 8 airlines, 89% dominated by Flybe with the top route to Jersey and 2018 passengers down on 2017
That would be an eye opener !!!

I suspect the physical limitations of SOU (1723-metre runway) would be an obstacle before any commercial considerations were even contemplated. I don't know whether 2 mppa in itself would be a barrier. CWL now has a Qatar route and as an airport handles fewer passengers each year than SOU.

While it is a shame to lose an airline, I don't think they will be missed in this case.
I am doubtful of a return for them next year for either Transatlantic or Europe, blaming low demand is not fair too, as a lot of people reading articles will take that literally.
I am glad BHX have defended themselves stating quite rightfully that demand is healthy.

Although flights are still bookable until the end of October I would be quite cautious about doing so.

blaming low demand is not fair too, as a lot of people reading articles will take that literally.

I thought it a very low shot and probably sums up their whole attitude in general. If they want to discuss demand maybe they should talk to Jet2 (to AGP 14 out of the next 15 days are sold out) and Ryanair and see how their load factors are holding up!

It's fairly obvious that demand for Primera fell quickly due to their steady stream of late notice cancellations and the customer service horror stories that ensued, the demand overall remains healthy. The vast majority of STN short haul has also been dropped but no snide comments there.

I'm also glad that the airport stood up for themselves and a big part of me wishes that their comments were a little stronger but I guess it pays to remain professional and not stoop to that level.

We now look to the future and hope that either Jet2 can get their hands on another aircraft, Ryanair start to take an interest again or we see another base from someone.

Hi there Ray and all, will this announcement from Primera Air, is this just a temporary cease of operations, or are they pulling out of Birmingham airport altogether . Andyc

easyJet i think could easily make their mark at BHX no matter who else is based there, but i think like others have said, they are covered well up north and down south, so they dont really need to base anything at BHX

I'm mean Glider pilot ,you don't have to have a base at any airport, as long as the routes you serve are showing excellent load factors and the demand is there, that's what it's all about isn't it Glider pilot... Andyc

Hi there Glider pilot, yes but don't forget Primera Air came in with all there fantasy announcements, which would have probably given easyjet a bloody nose or nose bleed, so now this is what Primera Air have done, maybe give easyjet their opportunity to what they were or are going to do ,but we'll have to wait and see .. Andyc

Hi there Ray and all, will this announcement from Primera Air, is this just a temporary cease of operations, or are they pulling out of Birmingham airport altogether . Andyc

Short haul will go and a decision about long haul will be made in the new year. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Yes, but i still think if EZY saw any potential in BHX they would have taken the oppertunity when Monarch collapsed

I thought exactly the same. The loss of Monarch left a huge opportunity at Birmingham and they weren't interested then so why would losing two sun routes make a difference now?

On a plus note i received my full refund today. Gotta say that isnt bad. (y)

Good stuff.

There are plenty of social media stories of people waiting months with still no sign so glad yours was sorted quickly :)

Primera blamed the late arrival of new aircraft from Airbus. It was a poor excuse, they only have themselves to blame. Other airlines would have made alternative arrangements for cover aircraft to ensure the full published programme could have commenced. The initial cancellations set the alarm bells ringing and the domino affect has lead to this situation. They have made their owning brand toxic in the Midlands and because of social media this has been picked up by people throughout the country. It wont take long for their UK operation to cease if they make a hash of their Stansted or Manchester fights. I wont be rushing to book any flights with them that's for sure.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock