White Heather

Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Douglas_C-47B_G-ANAF_BKS_A.T._RWY_16.07.54_edited-2.jpg

I wonder if it is worth adding as a 'sticky' at the start of the thread, so that members don't have to search through the whole thread to see if an airline has already been mentioned.
If so, it would require updating, which I can't do, as my posts are locked after 10 mins.

Kevin
I loved seeing the BKS and Northeast Tridents, both airlines being effectively based at LBA, although the Tridents never came here due to our rather short runway in those days. It is quite sad really to see all those airlines that have come and gone, and that list is only scratching the surface. There have been hundreds of airlines over the years that have disappeared, and just the list that have operated to Leeds and disappeared since, would be very long.

The VC10 was a fantastic aircraft and it was such as shame it was eclipsed in popularity by the 707, although that itself was also a fantastic aircraft. I find it hard to believe even now that the 707 first flew in July 1954, so it is the same age as me - in fact a few days older! I seem to recall that very few airlines ever bought the VC10 - BOAC, East African Airlines, and British Caledonian were the three that spring to mind, plus the RAF of course although I suspect most of theirs are ex BOAC/British Airways.

This is a list of all airlines so far mentioned in this thread -
  • Air Anglia
  • Air Finland
  • Air Southwest
  • Air UK
  • Armavia Airlines
  • Astraeus
  • BCAL
  • BKS
  • British Airtours
  • British Eagle
  • Carpatair
  • Cobalt Air
  • Cosmo
  • Court Line
  • Cyprus Airways
  • Dan Air
  • Eurocypria
  • Flybe
  • Ghana International Airlines
  • Iberworld
  • JAT
  • Kingfisher Airlines
  • Laker Airways
  • Malev
  • Manx
  • Mercury Airlines
  • Monarch
  • Morton Air Services
  • Primera
  • Severn Airways
  • Skyguard
  • Skyway/City Airline
  • SkyWork
  • Small Planet Airlines
  • Spanair
  • Treffield International
  • WOW

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Douglas_C-47B_G-ANAF_BKS_A.T._RWY_16.07.54_edited-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Airlines no longer flying .

Ghana International Airlines has gone bust. Yet another one bites the dust.

Aviador said:
Ghana International Airlines has gone bust. Yet another one bites the dust.

Shame they not following their country football club, they doing well at the moment.

[rimg]http://www.luftfahrt.net/galerie/photos/2004/15/1095088787_5B-DBU_Boeing-737-8Q8_Eurocypria.jpg[/rimg]
Image: luftfahrt.net

Eurocypria needs adding to the list of airlines no longer with us.

AIR ANGLIA IS ONE WHICH COMES TO MIND AND ALSO AIR UK - I REMEMBER WHEN AIR UK USED TO FLY LEEDS BRADFORD TO NORWICH.THEY WOULD OFTEN USE THE RAFs AREA RADAR SERVICE

Nice occasion to see all those airlines that have come and gone.

Air Southwest does of course need adding to the list. :sad:

Gatwick based airline Astraeus looks set to join the list as the administrators move in.

Aviador it looks as though their website has shut-down as the link is no-longer working.

Here's another link I have found:
http://www.expatica.com/es/news/local_n ... 04351.html

I'm surprised the BBC News website has nothing on the story.

I will still have fond memories of the two MD80's that used to be in at LBA on a Saturday afternoon!

I could never tell the difference between the MD80 and the MD83. How can you tell the difference?

I don't think there is actually a variant called the MD80, I was just referring to the whole MD80 family, as I believe all the variants that Spanair operated; MD82's/83's and 88's, all visited LBA on separate occasions.

Basically the MD82/83 are identical apart from...
the MD83 is a longer range development of the basic MD-81/82 with higher weights, more powerful engines, increased fuel capacity and longer range

There is no visual difference between the MD82/83/88, all technical and 'non-visible' as far as I am aware. The MD87 on the other hand is shorter than all the other variants, of which Spanair also operated.

The MD-88 is, depending on specification, basically similar to the MD-82 or MD-83 except that it incorporates an EFIS cockpit instead of the more traditional analog flight deck of the other MD-80s. Other changes incorporated in the MD-88 include a windshear warning system and general updating of the cabin interior/trim, however these detail changes are relatively minor and were written back as standard on the MD-82/83.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_MD-80

Thanks for that tomleeds I wondered why I could never tell them apart.

According to "Air Portfolios 3 DC9 & MD80" The MD82 had upgraded engines for use from hot and high airfields. The MD83 had upgraded engines and a longer range.

I remember last year in may coming back from Barcelona with Monarch, we were cruising at 32,000ft when a MD Aircraft of spanair shot past heading to spain, it seemed to slow down enough so you could just make out the titles, i bet there was only a 1,000ft apart.

It would appear that the Malev fleet has been grounded so it looks like it's going to be yet another airline to add to the list.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock