Birmingham Airport to invest £500 million to grow passengers to 18 million by 2033
View attachment 11161

• The draft Master Plan outlines ambitious plans to grow by 40% to 18 million passengers per year by 2033.
  • Birmingham Airport is opening its plans to the public from today with an extensive consultation that will run to the end of January to seek views from local communities and stakeholders
  • The Plan reaffirms the Airport’s commitment to serve the region and its communities, increasing its contribution to the local economy from £1.5 billion to a forecast £2.1 billion a year and 34,000 jobs in 2033.
  • An investment of around £500m will increase capacity and vastly improve the passenger experience, to make Birmingham one of Europe’s leading regional airports.
bhx-checkin-2_.jpg

Birmingham Airport has today (Tuesday 6th November 2018) launched its draft Master Plan, titled,‘The Midlands Gateway to the World’. The Plan sets out in detail how the Airport will make a self-financed new investment of £500 million over the life of the plan to improve, modernise and extend facilities that will deliver increased capacity for our airline customers and enhance the passenger experience.

The draft Master Plan further reinforces the integral part the Airport plays as a catalyst for growth across the Midlands and in the UK’s economic prosperity. It outlines the Airport’s role in driving future economic benefit to the region which will increase by 42%, totalling £2.1 billion a year and 34,000 jobs by 2033.

A greater choice of flights and destinations, alongside improved regional connectivity and a direct link to HS2, are vital to the continued growth of the region’s thriving economy. The global markets to which the Airport connects help to drive international trade, investment, employment, inbound tourism and the success of the region’s many universities.

The Airport will continue to improve air links for people in the region, providing more flights to cultural hubs, business centres and a greater choice of outbound holiday destinations. It will continue to expand the existing wide range of short-haul and long-haul scheduled and charter services and destinations, with both full-service and low-cost airlines.

Building on existing commitments to sustainability and community support, the draft Master Plan demonstrates how growth to become one of Europe’s leading regional airports will be balanced with a responsibility to the environment and the people who live and work in the Airport’s vicinity.

This ambitious yet sustainable plan is focussed on addressing the key constraints to more rapid growth. This will involve a major expansion of the terminal facilities, the construction of additional new aircraft stands and working with national agencies and regional partners to deliver improved public and road transport surface access for passengers.

All of the forecast demand growth is fully achievable on the existing single runway which has the physical capacity to handle 25 to 30 million passenger movements a year. The draft Master Plan also follows recently restated Government policy of making the best use of the UK’s existing runways.

Simon Richards, Acting Managing Director, Birmingham Airport, said:

“Birmingham Airport is already the preferred national and international aviation hub for the Midlands and our ambition is to build on this to become one of Europe’s leading regional airports, acting as a key economic accelerator, delivering great service to passengers, and helping to showcase the region.

“Over the next 15 years, we will expand and significantly improve the Airport to maximise our potential as a single runway airport by investing £500 million. Our plans take account of our forecast growth and will increase operational efficiency for our airlines and partners and improve the experience for our passengers.”

Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands, said:

“Birmingham Airport is a key part of an economy that is growing faster than anywhere else in the UK and it is important we invest and grow this asset to ensure it keeps being a driver of prosperity.

“These bold plans will not only see a huge investment by the airport but commit to using the existing single runway to drive this growth. For my part, I will work with the airport and key partners like HS2 and the NEC Group to ensure we deliver the world-class facility our region and country deserves.”

Neil Rami, Chief Executive, West Midlands Growth Company, said:

“The West Midlands has firmly established itself as the UK’s driver of growth, fostering centres of excellence in business and leading the country’s traditional sectors – such as manufacturing and engineering.

“The region lies on the cusp of a period of great economic growth, supported by major infrastructure projects such as HS2, that will help attract more people and investment than ever before. To realise this potential, we are committed to working with our partners at Birmingham Airport to showcase the region to the world.”

Birmingham Airport details in the Plan its commitment to working closely with partners across the region, playing its part in driving growth. The Plan highlights how important factors such as public transport and highways improvements are to ensure the Airport is able to reach its potential.

Alongside the draft Master Plan, the Airport will be consulting on a new draft Surface Access Strategy. This will outline how it will meet growth requirements and targets, as well as continuing to work in collaboration with transport bodies and operators.

The launch of this draft Master Plan triggers the start of a 12-week public consultation for stakeholders to feed back their views on the Airport’s Plans. A number of public exhibitions will take place throughout the West Midlands from the 12th November to the 22nd January 2019. The consultation period will end on the 31st January at 23:59.

Full details of the plan and how to feedback can be found at www.bhxmasterplan.co.uk

Hi there Brumx, there's no need to apologise, after reading your post, I thought that you were firing the issue with me, that is why I originally said what I said about bhx management, I have always felt that when I have visited the airport briefly for a couple of hours, because it is very expensive to park up there, there doesn't seem to be an atmosphere or busyness that should be there, like when I went to a football match the other week, as you walked to the ground, with everyone else going in the same direction as you, then watching hundreds and thousands of people other supporters arrive as well, you could feel the atmosphere there, even before I went into the stadium with my brother, and then just before kick off, again, the anticipation of waiting for the players to emerge from the tunnel, to a fanfare of music, where as at Birmingham airport, your not seeing a 3 80s in there bucket loads or 747s,or loads of 787s or even loads of 777-300s. No of that atmosphere was there, which is what birmingham airport is severely lacking, just imaging visiting dubai, Chicago ohare, jfk. These type of airports give you the busy and you can smell the atmosphere, where as with birmingham, you can't, and that is what birmingham airport is lacking, to be able to compete with the big boys, like the premiership and not the championship. That's your difference, and this is where Mr N Barton has got to dig real deep and pull a right be massive airline out of the hat and not anything smaller... AndyC

Are the days of 747, A380s etc. gone? Especially with airlines opting for smaller, more efficient jets? I echo what others have said (but I hate to admit it), but BHX needs to really focus on it's core market of Europe and secure regular, solid connections to countries in Europe. Make a solid network. Then attract and build on destinations like NYC, Orlando etc. after.

Are the days of 747, A380s etc. gone? Especially with airlines opting for smaller, more efficient jets? I echo what others have said (but I hate to admit it), but BHX needs to really focus on it's core market of Europe and secure regular, solid connections to countries in Europe. Make a solid network. Then attract and build on destinations like NYC, Orlando etc. after.

I would generally agree with that focus, but would also add in addition to securing routes to major cities currently unserved (Lisbon, Athens, Oslo, Stockholm, etc) an equally important focus needs to be on getting more routes to at least daily.

Until recently, although there were 8 flights a week to Madrid - 4 with Iberia Express and 4 with Ryanair, both airlines operating Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun - there were no flights on 3 days of the week. If business travellers (or even leisure travellers) looked to fly BHX to MAD say Tuesday to Saturday, they'd find no flights available and presume that MAD isn't served from BHX.

I wonder how many passengers BHX loses each year because there aren't flights every day of the week to certain destination (I appreciate now Iberia have slightly changed their flights so that now between Iberia and Ryanair there are flights every day except Saturday).

I used to travel from BHX to Frankfurt very regularly - at first in the heady days of Birmingham Executive (they were brilliant - used to have the stewardess preparing the cheesboard by cutting up celery and adding grapes and had to help with unloading suitcases stacked in the loo when there was too much luggage when someone needed to use it! Happy days) and then BA and Lufthansa. What was key was the multiple flights so that if meetings were late I could still get home.

I guess when it comes to failure it really depends on how one measures it.

If the airport is to be judged on it's range of direct destinations at appropriate frequencies then it could be said to be failing the needs of the region. If the airport is to be judged on making a profit and giving returns to the shareholders then it looks to be doing very nicely indeed.

I guess us on this forum will judge by the former but those with a financial interest may well judge by the latter.

I guess when it comes to failure it really depends on how one measures it.

If the airport is to be judged on it's range of direct destinations at appropriate frequencies then it could be said to be failing the needs of the region. If the airport is to be judged on making a profit and giving returns to the shareholders then it looks to be doing very nicely indeed.

I guess us on this forum will judge by the former but those with a financial interest may well judge by the latter.

And what about being measured by its Customer service ?? BHX every time is far superior to LTN which is a bigger airport and i would say is also better than EDI which is a bigger airport.

And what about being measured by its Customer service ?? BHX every time is far superior to LTN which is a bigger airport and i would say is also better than EDI which is a bigger airport.

I haven't used EDI for quite some time but I remember it being okayish. I had the misfortune of using Luton once and will never do so again, I think I'd rather walk than inflict that on me for a second time.

I may be biased but whilst it isn't perfect and has issues from time to time, I definitely think Birmingham is a great airport to use (y)

The final master plan has now been released.

Here is a direct link.

As far as I can see there isn't a huge change but I only had a quick look. There appears to be a small extension to T2 which I'm not sure was in the original proposal?

I just cant believe that they haven't at least extended the international pier to the end of the apron to where what looks like an A380 without an airbridge, is that where the BHX of the future really is. Boarding an A380 up some stairs ??

An extra 11 aircraft stands between now and 2033.

Any airport can "spruce" up its departure lounge and create a few extra check in desks, that's just doing what any airport does over time.

Not impressed at all I'm afraid and in fact I'm going to give it a rating of POOR (n)

The most un inspiring plan ever. I remember as a teenager visiting the viewing gallery at BHX looking at the master plan several years ago and thinking what a great satellite pier that will be looking like CDG...... whatever happened to that. Although reading through the artical he did mention about the growth plans of Ryanair and Easyjet, not that it means BHX but i hope he's having the conversation with them.

Where is the satellite pier and integrated people mover that I ordered back in November? :(

That was from a different generation that seemed to have some ambition :(

I see the usual suspects of Mumbai, Hong Kong, Riga, Lisbon and Helsinki are mentioned yet again. At least this time they are mentioned in the context of the next 15 years which may be more realistic.

I'd like to know to what extent the airspace constraints in the south east are affecting growth at BHX (if at all).

Secondly, steps must be taken to resolve airspace constraints in the south east that currently limit the number of aircraft departing from Birmingham bound for key European destinations.

-One new baggage belt to be built by 2028.

-The terminal extension being built now will be the only increase to the footprint of the buildings for the next 15 years, the rest is just a reconfiguration and spruce up.

-Aircraft stands to be reconfigured in the next 5 years to allow more aircraft without having to pay for more concrete. There will then be further stand reconfiguration to take it up to 2028 with no new apron planned. Taking us up to 2033 there may be further need for even more stand development, this could be in the form of even more reconfiguration or potentially new stands adjacent to Taxiway Tango.

-There may be a need to join up the parallel taxiway to accommodate the potential extra stands.

One thing that did make me smile is describing the future aviation strategy to build a bigger route network as proactive and expansionary.

The final master plan has now been released.

Here is a direct link.

As far as I can see there isn't a huge change but I only had a quick look. There appears to be a small extension to T2 which I'm not sure was in the original proposal?

Only the bussing lounge on T2

No comment. If I prepared a master plan that promoted a paint job and some techy customer service facilities I would be fired.

Than again, maybe improving the customer experience is the right route. Have BHX foreseen the inevitable: peak air travel. Maybe grandiose airport plans are the future white elephants, and this is spot on? What if they spent a billion and went bust? Time will tell.

I cannot help feeling that the Elmdon area of the airfield has been overlooked. Cannot the retro terminal building and ex Monarch space be utilised for shorthaul and/or low cost operations? ..... and I just checked, it is not April 1st!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock