So before I made judgement on the programme Yorkshire Airport, I decided to allow it to run a couple of episodes as I didn't feel like one was enough to go on.

First of all I must say I am embarrassed to call it my local airport, it doesnt portray the airport in a good light at all. The manager who seen fixing the customer experience scores and saying love you down the radio is hardly professional, same for the guy who moved people's seats by their name and if he liked the name or not. It shows the airport as run by a couple of amateurs. The guys on the ramp was the only part of the second episode which was bearable to watch.

Swissport and the team of LBA have truly let the airport down, made it out to be a clown airport. I can see why jet2 decided not to be involved in the filming and i can hardly blame them.

What's more frustrating for me is I used to work at the airport and it was nothing like this, it's like the normal everyday staff who actually keep the operation running smoothly have been replaced by wannabe celebs whom are more like the class clown.

I've been trailing through Twitter on the Yorkshire Airport hashtag and a lot people are saying it making them think twice before travelling from LBA and will be choosing DSA or MAN to fly from instead.

Now I know some on here might not agree with what I say, and that's fine, were all entitled to our opinions, but I just feel like this has done the airport more harm than good.
It's funny to watch but I wouldn't travel from this airport due to how they perform their jobs.
Nathan the duty manager is an embarrassment. His attitude and lack of professionalism are cringeworthy. The Swissport ramp operatives were the only positive in my opinion.
The same could also be said for Nathan the security manager.

It's funny to watch but I wouldn't travel from this airport due to how they perform their jobs.
The same could also be said for Nathan the security manager.
Don't let this programme sway your thinking about using the airport. What is shown on the TV is not indicative of how the staff are, or how they do their jobs. I know for a fact that the vast majority of staff are very hard working and professional, and management certainly demand that. This programme series was always intended to be light hearted, and has been edited to make it appear that way.

My personal concern about this programme is that firstly, it was a great opportunity to showcase the airport - and sadly that opportunity has been missed to large extent. I had hoped it would be along the lines of the series about Heathrow, which provides a serious insight into the running of a large airport. This programme could have been similar but covering a medium sized regional airport instead.
Secondly, although I understand it is light hearted and can accept it as such (along the same lines as the programme series about the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, complete with brass band music and Yorkshire humour etc)., it is clear from the reaction of many people that they feel it presents the airport in a bad light, and whether they are right or wrong, over-reacting or not, the last thing that LBA needed was a negative reaction to the series. Lets face it, LBA, like most airports, need no help at all in upsetting people - they all seem to have the ability to do that by simply existing. Few organisations attract negative comment better than an airport, so further ammunition is not ideal.

The shame is that it was a chance to show the airport as a good airport, with good, professional staff, yet the programme has clearly been edited to portray it in a different light. At the beginning of the programme for instance, a pilot tells us that having a runway on top of a hill, which points in the wrong direction, means Leeds is no ordinary airport. We all know that, but so far, there has been no other reference to that at all - it is almost as though they put it in there at the beginning of each programme just to ensure that the programme starts with a negative comment from someone in the industry. Then our old CEO, who presumably signed up to this series, is seen telling the airport staff that the Yorkshire public are very loyal and (as he often said, and I am sure very much meant), they need to give Yorkshire an airport to be proud of. Unfortunately this programme appears to be doing the opposite judging by the comments on social media. This morning, even Stephanie Hirst on her BBC Radio Leeds show commented that the Yorkshire Airport programme was best not commented on when covering a topic about how many great TV programmes are made here in Yorkshire. I find it very sad really, speaking as someone who has fought long and hard for LBA to grow and succeed.

With that in mind I have written to LBA management to ask their views on this. I have not expressed my own views , simply asked if they were aware of the negative reaction to the programme, how the airport is portrayed, and I shall hopefully be asking what they can do now to repair any damage caused. I have had a response immediately this morning to advise that my email has been passed to the airport CEO and that he will be in touch.
Totally agree with everything you say Heather. Last nights episode just demonstrated what I was saying about putting the airport in a very bad light. The fact that a security Manager walked around trying on all the goods for sale rather than doing his job and then can't lock the padlock was unbelievable and again being with friends watching the programme, they said to me "who the hell employed and trained these people. It is making a complete and utter mockery of the airport, its staff and worse still the management for poor training"

what a joke of a program it is, but then again jokes are suppose to be funny and this aint, It does not put much confidence into flying from LBA when the opening scene shows aircraft attempting sideways crosswind landings, airside staff pissing around playing games under the BA a319 and most other staff members not capibile of doing their jobs!
Im aware the program is for a mainstream audience but I so wish it could of been abit more serious, for example it could of followed airport management looking to secure a new airline or route, perhaps something interesting within atc, future plans to expand the terminal because the general public are aware of how small LBAs terminal is, Its such a shame this crap been put out on tv. who remembers those airport programmes from the early 90s that were live from Gatwick. they had a more indepth look at the airport and its operation. I loved them progs as they were so interesting!

I agree that it is a bit disappointing that the approach hasn’t been more balanced, but most people at my work have been far less bothered than we are on this site. They see any airport as a means to an end and as long as they can have a pint, visit duty free etc they’re not bothered. The style of the programme follows the reality tv theme which makes personalities out of ordinary people and they’re encouraged to play up to the camera. I’m certain all these people are qualified, competent and assets to the airport; it’s just a shame that for some this doesn’t always come across. However regardless of the potential damage of this programme, LBA continues to be a success and provide vital services to the region

It's the Muppet Show, with your very special guest stars....the Chuckle Brothers. The hardware shop on Yeadon High Street will sell good padlocks no doubt!!

what a slating the Yorkshire Post gave of the programme and how it shows LBA in a truly shocking light, and the comments from readers certainly didnt help either. so utterly embarrassing and damaging...for goodness sake, when will the airport realise it needs to move quickly with the developments of the terminal, link road and parkway station to help to build its profile, because after this series, it certainly needs it

I wonder if the LBA management were able to view the first episode before it was broadcast and then had a chance to comment on the content, etc with a view to making their own observations that would influence the next episode. Or if they were totally unhappy with the programme then had the opportunity to cancel it? The airport historically has a poor reputation despite all the great changes in recent years so this type of programme does nothing to address this problem. It seems Jet2 didn't want to be involved but it must disappoint them too to see the airport in this light, maybe (probably) LBA maybe should have done the same.

Agree that this is a poor programme which attempts to view the airport in a comedic light. However, of those people in the LBA catchment within the very low viewing figures, it really isn’t seriously going to affect their decision whether or not to use the airport. People will still be driven primarily by flight availability, timings, price, etc. They won’t be influenced by the fact that the general manager comes of as a bit of a plonker, and that a bit of a camp lad in security can’t work a lock

I wonder if the LBA management were able to view the first episode before it was broadcast and then had a chance to comment on the content, etc with a view to making their own observations that would influence the next episode. Or if they were totally unhappy with the programme then had the opportunity to cancel it? The airport historically has a poor reputation despite all the great changes in recent years so this type of programme does nothing to address this problem. It seems Jet2 didn't want to be involved but it must disappoint them too to see the airport in this light, maybe (probably) LBA maybe should have done the same.

It would be unheard of for a television company not to write into an agreement with anyone being filmed for a TV series for ANY editorial involvement after the filming has finished. I doubt that LBA would have had the opportunity to even comment. I quite understand the reasons for this. Any TV company would insist (in writing) that they retain FULL editorial discretion post filming. Imagine the potential consequences of not including such a clause!

More fool LBA for allowing access in the first place and well done Jet2 for not getting involved in what would only be some sort of tacky programme that wouldn't do anyone any favours.

It would be unheard of for a television company not to write into an agreement with anyone being filmed for a TV series for ANY editorial involvement after the filming has finished. I doubt that LBA would have had the opportunity to even comment. I quite understand the reasons for this. Any TV company would insist (in writing) that they retain FULL editorial discretion post filming. Imagine the potential consequences of not including such a clause!

More fool LBA for allowing access in the first place and well done Jet2 for not getting involved in what would only be some sort of tacky programme that wouldn't do anyone any favours.

It seems likely that Jet2 were approached, but on hearing of this sort of `clause` gave it very short shrift...They after all, are very astute. Sadly, the then airport management were hapless and fell for it. The results are all too easily seen. Just praying for the end to come!!

Agree that this is a poor programme which attempts to view the airport in a comedic light. However, of those people in the LBA catchment within the very low viewing figures, it really isn’t seriously going to affect their decision whether or not to use the airport. People will still be driven primarily by flight availability, timings, price, etc. They won’t be influenced by the fact that the general manager comes of as a bit of a plonker, and that a bit of a camp lad in security can’t work a lock

I agree with the above comments, we are being too critical of the effect it will have on the travelling public. Does anyone know of someone who has cancelled a holiday/flight from LBA? Do we have evidence of anyone who has searched for a holiday and said "any airport except LBA"?
A friend of mine flew from LBA and vowed never to fly again from there. Six months later, he was talking of going on holiday and guess where he was flying from - LBA. When reminded he said he would never use LBA again, he said "well, it's not a bad airport and I got a good deal"

I agree with the above comments, we are being too critical of the effect it will have on the travelling public. Does anyone know of someone who has cancelled a holiday/flight from LBA? Do we have evidence of anyone who has searched for a holiday and said "any airport except LBA"?
A friend of mine flew from LBA and vowed never to fly again from there. Six months later, he was talking of going on holiday and guess where he was flying from - LBA. When reminded he said he would never use LBA again, he said "well, it's not a bad airport and I got a good deal"
People often say such things on the spur of the moment.

The series was never intended as a promotional series of videos for Leeds-Bradford Airport. The tv company made it, as tv companies always do, to entertain its viewers.

In the early years of this century there were several series of tv shows following easyJet. They often failed to show easyJet in a good light. Were easyJet bothered? Apparently not as they were happy to take part in further series.

Has the growth of that airline suffered since those days? Not from where I sit.

People often say such things on the spur of the moment.

The series was never intended as a promotional series of videos for Leeds-Bradford Airport. The tv company made it, as tv companies always do, to entertain its viewers.

In the early years of this century there were several series of tv shows following easyJet. They often failed to show easyJet in a good light. Were easyJet bothered? Apparently not as they were happy to take part in further series.

Has the growth of that airline suffered since those days? Not from where I sit.

True but in those days Stelios was the star and when things were going bad he suddenly turned up and sorted everything. He was and is a larger than life character and so was ideal for a TV show. However I can`t imagine that Stelios didnt have any say/control over what exactly was transmitted. Thats maybe why it was so successful

Because the program is shown on national television, it may attract people who have never thought of flying from LBA as they were not aware how many places you can fly to.
Anyway, isn't it the last one tomorrow night?

Comments under a Yorkshire Post ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- article (200+) giving the airport a battering. Especially saying embarrassment and disgrace... Also the young security guy getting stick for incompetence.

Comments under a Yorkshire Post ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- article (200+) giving the airport a battering. Especially saying embarrassment and disgrace... Also the young security guy getting stick for incompetence.
The Yorkshire Evening Post itself is a disgrace at the best of times.

If there is a dispute about who caused the damage to the nose wheel on the BA aircraft recently at push back, BA management watching this programme will wonder if the airport management say all their staff are competent.
A Security Supervisor at 20 does not fill you with confidence, accept locks can be awkward, but you wonder how he would react to a ticking bomb. You cant see him clearing the terminal in an save manner, likely to use his phone to call for help, number one on the do not do list.

If there is a dispute about who caused the damage to the nose wheel on the BA aircraft recently at push back, BA management watching this programme will wonder if the airport management say all their staff are competent.
A Security Supervisor at 20 does not fill you with confidence, accept locks can be awkward, but you wonder how he would react to a ticking bomb. You cant see him clearing the terminal in an save manner, likely to use his phone to call for help, number one on the do not do list.
The staff featured in the TV Series who push back aircraft (including BA) do NOT work for LBA and are nothing to do with LBA management. They work for Swissport, as do several of the people featured in the series. The security guy, does work for LBA and clearly needs further training on a) how to work a padlock and b) how to get through duty free without being distracted.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock