Ok, I was thinking the front was the side facing the terminal where later the BA Cargo shed entrance was located.

The front then was the opposite side of the flight shed with the hardstanding in front of it. As you say Viscounts and 748's were taken into the hangar from that side.
Yes the doors faced South East. Planes were towed off the main apron and around the corner on to a seperate apron in front of the sliding doors.

The photo was taken before the old art deco style terminal burned down. It was after that, and while the new terminal was being built, that the temporary facility within the hangar was used.

Constant descent approaches are a key part of LBAs proposals under the CAA Airspace Change process, so if they are to be introduced for flights arriving at LBA from the South East, they need control of this airspace.

Am I too simplistic to think they’d hand over between London/Leeds Radar during the continuous descent?

Also I’m happy to stand corrected, but, wouldn’t a continuous descent mean a later “top of drop”?

Am I too simplistic to think they’d hand over between London/Leeds Radar during the continuous descent?

Also I’m happy to stand corrected, but, wouldn’t a continuous descent mean a later “top of drop”?

The ideal situation from a noise, fuel efficiency and CO2 point of view is for an arriving aircraft to reduce power in the cruise at top of descent, and not level off until it touches down.

Arrivals into Leeds from the SE work London Control at high level, then Scottish Control as they descend and weave through other Manchester TMA aircraft, and finally transfer to Leeds Radar as they pass over the Doncaster area, routing to a reporting point called GOLES before joining the Runway 32 ILS approach into Leeds.

The base of the airway in that area is on the high side for arrivals into Leeds, and requires the Leeds Radar controller to issue several ‘stepped’ descent instructions to ensure the aircraft stay inside controlled airspace. It’s not ideal and can prevent a continuous descent approach from being achieved.

Previously, when Doncaster was open, Leeds controllers could phone the Doncaster controllers and coordinate the use of Doncaster’s airspace for the Leeds arrivals to descend through, since the Doncaster airspace was conveniently situated beneath the airway, allowing an uninterrupted descent. Descent through Leeds airspace was likewise coordinated for Doncaster arrivals from the NW.

When Doncaster closed, so did the possibility to use their airspace for GOLES arrivals into Leeds. The current proposal to the CAA is that Leeds is granted custody of the two small portions of Doncaster’s airspace, that were previously used by Leeds as described above, to accommodate the arrivals from the SE.

The ideal situation from a noise, fuel efficiency and CO2 point of view is for an arriving aircraft to reduce power in the cruise at top of descent, and not level off until it touches down.

Arrivals into Leeds from the SE work London Control at high level, then Scottish Control as they descend and weave through other Manchester TMA aircraft, and finally transfer to Leeds Radar as they pass over the Doncaster area, routing to a reporting point called GOLES before joining the Runway 32 ILS approach into Leeds.

The base of the airway in that area is on the high side for arrivals into Leeds, and requires the Leeds Radar controller to issue several ‘stepped’ descent instructions to ensure the aircraft stay inside controlled airspace. It’s not ideal and can prevent a continuous descent approach from being achieved.

Previously, when Doncaster was open, Leeds controllers could phone the Doncaster controllers and coordinate the use of Doncaster’s airspace for the Leeds arrivals to descend through, since the Doncaster airspace was conveniently situated beneath the airway, allowing an uninterrupted descent. Descent through Leeds airspace was likewise coordinated for Doncaster arrivals from the NW.

When Doncaster closed, so did the possibility to use their airspace for GOLES arrivals into Leeds. The current proposal to the CAA is that Leeds is granted custody of the two small portions of Doncaster’s airspace, that were previously used by Leeds as described above, to accommodate the arrivals from the SE.
Great explanation.

Thanks Radar for explaining far better than I could have done.

Weekend of July 15th & 16th could be very interesting for possible LBA military movements.

As it's been confirmed today that nearby Leeds East Airport (ex RAF Church Fenton) is taking over hosting the annual "Flying Legends" Air display as they have been forced out of Duxford..
Think I will be at Church Fenton in that case.

Just posted on the Teeside thread, 'massive potential investment in aircraft maintennance, recommended for approval by council' They certainly dont let the grass grow under their feet at MME.

Last edited:
Tomorrow the airport that the most people will be flying to from LBA is not what you would generally expect from LBA. It is not Tenerife, not Alicante but Krakow with 533 passengers* (218 with Wizz, 184 with RYR, 131 with EXS). Looking back this is not the first time this has happened, nor is it the day with the most people to KRK (20th Feb had 581 pax with 238, 184, 159 respectively).

The reason I have posted this is that I had no idea that Krakow had the demand to sustain 3 carriers (granted, Jet2 does have its weaker days on the route (mainly mondays), Ryanair does have lower days albiet not as often and I can only get the Wizz data if the flight is really full). Despite this, Krakow is holding its own against places that I was sure would vastly outstrip it in terms of demand. In December, it ranked 5th, ahead of places like Malaga.

In short: hip hip hooray Krakow!

I hope this is the appropriate place for this- its relevant to Leeds (as well as other airports)

BBC News - Premier League domestic flights: BBC Sport research shows 81 flights from 100 games

Last edited:
I hope this is the appropriate place for this- it relevant to Leeds (as well as other airports)

BBC News - Premier League domestic flights: BBC Sport research shows 81 flights from 100 games
Well Leeds United certainly dont fly other than to matches South of London. Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton, and Crystal Palace sometimes. Generally 5-6 hour journeys by coach, so justifiable. Such as Liverpool flying to Newcastle does seem ridiculous - but frankly, all this does is demonstrate the BBCs anti aviation policies that Look North demonstrate whenever that LBA is in the news.

Well Leeds United certainly dont fly other than to matches South of London. Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton, and Crystal Palace sometimes. Generally 5-6 hour journeys by coach, so justifiable. Such as Liverpool flying to Newcastle does seem ridiculous - but frankly, all this does is demonstrate the BBCs anti aviation policies that Look North demonstrate whenever that LBA is in the news.
Well I agree with you White Heather on that one. Strange how Look North always seemed very supportive of DSA when it was open against a backlog of anti LBA reports. Even to this day they are still trying to bull up the campaign by the Mayor of Doncaster's ludicrous plans to buy the airport and reopen it. Everyone, with the exception of the Mayor and Look North, knows outside of the Chambers in Doncaster the airport is a dead duck.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock