Sadly Spin with no result is often what we get but I am still disappointed.
I expect little to change based on what I have in the way of feedback.

This is getting no one, know where fast is it?

If some of you know the real or a different reason then please feel free to "spill the beans" to the rest of us on here instead of saying I know different without any explanation as to how.

It's like watching kids bickering in a playground "I know, but I'm not telling you! "

No, and I doubt the answer will ever be known. It was all very sudden and the CEO was stated to be taking on a Consultative role within the company that owns LBA. Read into that what you will......
If I was a senior manager at LBA watching the recent ITV series, I would have been hidden behind the sofa and deeply embarrassed, whilst he appeared very little in front of camera, David Laws did not come over as someone with passion or vision.
I would have tried to can the whole series, I wonder if looking at the rushes, this is what sparked the owners to replace the boss.
I accept White Heather in her reports has spoken quite highly of his presentations and industry knowledge, but as an outsider I see a Local authority mentality.
Appointing another Asset Management team member from newcastle to replace Laws, seems like more of the same and no new thinking, the appointment of Andy Clarke ex Asda as Chairman worries me, the headlines when he left Asda must still haunt him "Bungling Asda boss booted out" like Laws he was moved to a consultancy role.
It seems LBA is becoming like a football club, with a pool of people, just moving around, getting the sack, not an issue.

The recent ITV Series was by far the biggest advertisement LBA has ever had and could of been used in such a powerful way to promote the airport, to inform the public that we do actually have an airport in leeds, to educate the public that the airport does have a good choice atm of routes and its looking to grow its terminal to give the public a better flying experience, but instead all we got were aload of so called airport workers just a****** about. For eg Its put my parents off flying from there, then again we are flying from leeds tomorrow! :LOL: But on a serious note the series could of really been used in a better way.

The difference is that from our enthusiasts perspective the series should have been an informative showcase highlighting what LBA has to offer, from a commercial TV programme makers perspective it’s about entertainment, attracting as many viewers as possible and maximising advertising revenue.

The difference is that from our enthusiasts perspective the series should have been an informative showcase highlighting what LBA has to offer, from a commercial TV programme makers perspective it’s about entertainment, attracting as many viewers as possible and maximising advertising revenue.
Yes i understand what your saying and its a good point,we on here look at LBA in a different way,i just wish it could of been abit more balanced between what we like which would sell the airport well and what the gen public like.

True. But other airports have managed it without looking so bad. Compare it to the current ITV series on LHR - it’s entertaining but I don’t go away thinking LHR is a complete amateur operation run by a bunch of clowns ;)

Some information I have is not to be passed on.
I pass on what I get if appropriate.
Just as WH has to respect the committee meeting rules so do I to various sources.
I suspect the news about Düsseldorf was not passed on to anyone outside the management.

If I was a senior manager at LBA watching the recent ITV series, I would have been hidden behind the sofa and deeply embarrassed, whilst he appeared very little in front of camera, David Laws did not come over as someone with passion or vision.
I would have tried to can the whole series, I wonder if looking at the rushes, this is what sparked the owners to replace the boss.
I accept White Heather in her reports has spoken quite highly of his presentations and industry knowledge, but as an outsider I see a Local authority mentality.
Appointing another Asset Management team member from newcastle to replace Laws, seems like more of the same and no new thinking, the appointment of Andy Clarke ex Asda as Chairman worries me, the headlines when he left Asda must still haunt him "Bungling Asda boss booted out" like Laws he was moved to a consultancy role.
It seems LBA is becoming like a football club, with a pool of people, just moving around, getting the sack, not an issue.
'

OK - I can assure you that David Laws was very passionate , and had no local authority background. He had worked for many years at Newcastle Airport working his way up from an airfield Fireman to CEO. As an outsider with no knowledge of David Laws, the interior workings of LBA or any information as to how he was working, how do you justify seeing him as someone with a Local Authority Mentality? On what grounds??

Perhaps it was that passion that led him to go along with the idea of the TV programme in the first place, and on that subject, once a contract is signed to deliver a programme, you cannot just tell ITV to 'can it' as you suggest. Nor can you insist on it being edited to suit your own needs. Ultimately ITV made a programme that few of use airport supporters liked. as an 'entertainment programme' - and from that perspective they are undoubtedly happy with the outcome because they wanted to make a 2nd series. I too expected it to be a more serious look at a smaller regional airport, along the lines of the Heathrow series, but clearly that was never ITV's intention. In my view there was perhaps some naivity on the part of LBA management in going ahead with this (and I suspect they would admit that themselves in retrospect) but perhaps they did so on the basis that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Going back to David Laws, don't forget also that it was he that instigated the entire notion of a new terminal extension and got the funding approval from AMP Capital, and it was he that recognised the need to end the current shambolic situation of arrivals crossing with within the terminal. It was under his control that they went to Leeds City Council and got planning approval - something previous directors had failed to do first time around. We have a lot to thank him for. It is all to easy to lay blame at his door now he has gone without actually knowing any detail about what has gone on, but one thing I can tell you is that David was a huge step up on what we had before! That was obvious to the entire Committee and he was the first CEO in my 25+ years to get an ovation from the entire Committee on his first appearance.

As for the other directors, it was not the fault of the previous Commercial Director that having spent some time getting BMi on board with the promise of a daily service to Munich and a base to come with more European routes, they went bust before the flights took off. That director didn't just leave either - he retired and this had always been planned.

The new CEO Hywel Rees is not ex Newcastle as such - yes he is on the board but he was Asset Director and actually worked for AMP Capital. He was also on the board at Luton, also as Asset Director (another AMP post) and prior to that was no the board at Melbourne Airport in Australia. He joined LBA from AMP Capital - not from Newcastle Airport, so it is somewhat unfair therefore to claim that Hywel Rees is just more of the same, especially when he has been here less than 6 months and has had no time or opportunity to deliver anything. Give the guy a chance!

The new Commercial Director has spent years working for Easyjet - and no connection with Newcastle to my knowledge. However - given the relative success of Newcastle compared to LBA, I wouldn't say no to some of their success. Of course, Newcastle, not being central in the UK has a distinct advantage over LBA and is able to attract domestic routes more easily for that reason. It is also some 130 miles from Manchester - undoubtedly another advantage where the likes of Emirates are concerned. It also has the advantage of being on relatively flat ground with (I believe) Cat 3 runways both ends - something LBA will never enjoy. The aviation industry is currently in turmoil for a variety of reasons, so it is perhaps understandable that our new Commercial Director has yet to delivery any seriously good news on the routes or airlines front. Again, he has been here only a few months, so suggest giving him a chance as well.

Finally can I point out that this thread is for Consultative Committee Questions and Answers but once again seems to be going down the road of knocking LBA and its directors. There has been plenty of that already on other threads.

That's very ironic you making that comment lbaspotter. How many times have you stated in the cafe ' I know something but I cannot tell you'??

Yeah how very ironic, and it means from now on I'll simply be keeping my mouth shut.....
So unless something becomes fact, I'll keep the Info/rumour to myself....

I'm so sorry its come to this!

Last edited:
White Heather, you answer Local Authority mentality yourself, half your 25 years was under local authority control, it does not seem to have impressed you.
You talk about Laws raising from fireman to CEO, that says all about his limited background.
I was reading an article about John Mitchell the Defense Coach of England Rugby Union, even though he had managed the All Blacks and others over 20 years, until he took a management job in a commercial business situation, did he learn how to manage people and do proper planning and it changed his total thinking. Mitchell's view is that his exposure to just one industry completed limited his management skills, something I fully support
I am sure running an airport not to different from any other business, you must have people skills, financially savvy, constantly listening ability, strategic planning skills, constant industry learning, organizational skills, communication skills, drive and determination and be able to learn and motivate people. You must be able to draw together a management team that share your goals, but who are prepared to challenge you. I am not sure you can get all these skills just working in one industry or one company.
Even when I set out in the mid 60's, if I wanted a board position by mid 30's I needed to hone my management skills in two different industries as it would be impossible to do this in one company or industry.
When I look at the skills needed today, I am not sure you can learn all these skills in just two industries, thankful on the retirement step.
I

Sorry Tarn Spotter, I find your comment that just because the CEO came up through the ranks at Newcastle from Fireman means he had a limited background (and that insinuates he was not good enough) to be quite offensive. You didn't know the man, never met him and never heard his passion. I did, fortunately, on several occasions. I also spoke to quite a few other senior managers at LBA who all expressed delight at his attitude and determination to sort things out. You have conveniently ignored the points I raised that this guy actually got us the funding to deliver the terminal AND the local authority approval first time of asking. If you have evidence that he was not up to the job then say so, but as things stand I think that your comments are uncalled for. Not sure where you are going with this 'local authority mentality thing' but it isn't something I am going to discuss further - at least not on this thread.

Sorry Tarn Spotter, I find your comment that just because the CEO came up through the ranks at Newcastle from Fireman means he had a limited background (and that insinuates he was not good enough) to be quite offensive. You didn't know the man, never met him and never heard his passion. I did, fortunately, on several occasions. I also spoke to quite a few other senior managers at LBA who all expressed delight at his attitude and determination to sort things out. You have conveniently ignored the points I raised that this guy actually got us the funding to deliver the terminal AND the local authority approval first time of asking. If you have evidence that he was not up to the job then say so, but as things stand I think that your comments are uncalled for. Not sure where you are going with this 'local authority mentality thing' but it isn't something I am going to discuss further - at least not on this thread.
Whatever the merits or otherwise of the ex-CEO, the fact he was effectively removed from his post means something must have happened that made him continuing in the role untenable.

Whatever the merits or otherwise of the ex-CEO, the fact he was effectively removed from his post means something must have happened that made him continuing in the role untenable.
I have seen or heard nothing that says he was 'removed' from his post. He had family in Newcastle but was living alone for 2 years in Otley. The Consultative Committee were told that he decided to retire and take up a consultancy role so he could return home to be with his family. There was no indication he left against his will and until such time as someone from the airport company confirms that was the case, then such statements are, in my view, unacceptable.

I have to say that in view of the way that this thread has descended into nothing more than an attack on the previous CEO, I will have to think seriously about whether or not to post updates from further meetings.

I work closely with Newcastle Airport and all I can say is the people I deal with up there hold Davies Laws in the utmost high regard. NCL is a fabulous airport with a great mix of leisure and business routes, a fit for purpose terminal and a "can do" management team. I just wish we had an airport half as good as Newcastle.

You talk about Laws raising from fireman to CEO, that says all about his limited background.

What a dreadful statement to make, and based on what evidence?! Leaders, entrepreneurs, good managers aren’t born but they gain experience and understanding and there’s no better way of achieving that than progressing through an organisation or profession perhaps with some useful academic/educational input along the way. The commissioner of the metropolitan police started as a police constable in London, many managing directors started on the shop floor but for a fireman to become a CEO of an airport is criticised. That says more about the critic than the poor guy being criticised who isn’t here to defend himself.
I’m impressed that there are a number of unsolicited endorsement of this managers achievements and style. It’s a shame he couldn’t stay longer.

I think there is definitely a case of many people wanting more for LBA very quickly and perhaps that has tainted the logical and realistic view. It would be very easy in these times of aviation turmoil to make cynical points that would be totally unfair. That would get no one anywhere and make certain recent and unfortunate events even worse. A steadying of the aviation ship so to speak is what is called for right now

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock