The loss of Tui has made people think why it may have happened, it highlights the many limitations of the reality of LBA. Equally 4 million a year is a great achievement that should very much be acknowledged. However, to suggest the topic should be dropped because it is negative, or not what we want to see would be a shame. Healthy discussion irrespective of our many views and opinions should be what we all want our forum to be?
I was never suggesting the topic should be dropped and I am all for healthy debate but this thread had developed into an LBA bashing one saying all was doom and gloom when it isn't. I am just as disappointed as anyone to lose TUI but it is what it is and we have to move on. I am sure LS and FR won't miss their opportunity and I am sure the real reason, despite what else is said, that TUI have left is that they can't compete effectively with LS at LBA. Their loss because most of the pax will travel with FR or LS. Yes some will stay with TUI at DSA or MAN but it won't be them all

“ So for God's sake let's leave this damn TUI thing alone now please” that comment does suggest that you want the debate to cease Finger66, but I appreciate your comments above that Tui’s departure is others potential gain. Perhaps when we get some rationale from the airport committee we will have some more clarity and that will settle things down. In the meantime I won’t pass any more comment.

Last edited:
I suppose one consolation is that if TUI ever went the same way as Monarch, there would be very little impact on LBA..unlike quote a few other Northern airports I can mention.

I suppose one consolation is that if TUI ever went the same way as Monarch, there would be very little impact on LBA..unlike quote a few other Northern airports I can mention.
But if Jet2 went the same way as Monarch then that would have a disastrous effect on LBA but most airports have that problem in one way or the other.

Whatever we may think of the situation with Tui..there is no doubt that holiday plans for 2019 have been messed up for many people. They had a reasonable expectation of the plans being secure due to Tui`s previous commitment (as they saw it) to LBA. So they firstly throw out an insult to the LBA management and blame them for the base closure, then when pressured by local media they admit (much more likely) that they are moving to concentrate resources on their other bases. Or if you prefer, Phil Meeson fried their asses at Leeds and the German owners were`nt up for competition.

Its the innocent holidaymaker I feel sorry for...Their only mistake was to book with what turns out to be a right skanky outfit..

ps my money is on the aircraft going to Donny!!

It sounds to me as though TUi knew all along that they were going to pull the Sunwing out of LBA. They had already announced an extra 737 800 down at DSA, so chances are that was done in full knowledge that once they had secured a few bookings out of LBA, they would axe the base and offer everyone affected a move to either DSA or MAN. It would not be the first time something like this has happened with an LBA based aircraft. The inclusive tour operators always consolidate on their main bases when either there is a downturn in bookings at LBA (unlikely given their relatively poor offering anyway) or a downturn in bookings at their main bases. Instead of axing a flight at that base and operating full aircraft out of LBA, they axe the LBA flight to 'force' their customers to fill up the planes at the bases that are not doing so well. We will probably never know what, although I will be hoping to find out more next week at the airport consultative meeting. It remains to be seen how forthcoming LBA management are with the details!

I doubt that you will find much out at all. I wouldn't have thought the management would want to be in a "slanging match" with TUI.

spot on there W.H. tui have been pulling this stunt on L.B.A for years use the lba flights as fillers,i have to use them from doncaster as jet2 do not use the hotels we use in fuengirola.
regards
sm

[/QUOTE]

I think we can all work out the 'gesture' TUi are giving its LBA customers, and it's not something which involves much goodwill!

Trying to blame someone else is something I'd expect from Michael O'Leary, are TUi so bereft of ideas these days that they couldn't have spun some kind of neutral excuse to cover up their inability to compete?

spot on there W.H. tui have been pulling this stunt on L.B.A for years use the lba flights as fillers,i have to use them from doncaster as jet2 do not use the hotels we use in fuengirola.
regards
sm
You can still book directly from the hotel probably with a better deal as TUI are a rip of and book direct flights with Jet2. Then instead of getting on the coach at the airport which takes a very long time hop on a taxi and begging your hoilday.

louis waltom
we have been going to these two hotels we use for the last 8 years and have looked at the direct booking with the hotel many times,and it does not work any cheaper or we would have been using that method,the coach takes 30mins and the taxi fare is 45 euro each way,these hotels are still classed as thomson gold and tui are the only I.T.operator in them and take 90% of the rooms.
regards
sm1

Time for a change Snowman ! You might find you like somewhere else as well.

we do, we like to go to benidorm and or cyprus once a year as well if the wifes health is ok.
when are you going to come over to the mf cafe on a sat pm we will be there next week the 8/12 me and robert will club together and buy you a coffee.
regards
sm1

we do, we like to go to benidorm and or cyprus once a year as well if the wifes health is ok.
when are you going to come over to the mf cafe on a sat pm we will be there next week the 8/12 me and robert will club together and buy you a coffee.
regards
sm1

Can I come too? Mindst you, it's a long way from the East Coast and if it snows, Garrowby will be shut. :giggle::giggle:

louis waltom
we have been going to these two hotels we use for the last 8 years and have looked at the direct booking with the hotel many times,and it does not work any cheaper or we would have been using that method,the coach takes 30mins and the taxi fare is 45 euro each way,these hotels are still classed as thomson gold and tui are the only I.T.operator in them and take 90% of the rooms.
regards
sm1
Surprised this is the case, we usually find a huge difference between a holiday company package and doing it yourself.
My son saved £450 doing it himself for his family of three to Benalmadena and like you we stay at the same hotel and just done a deal a with the Pez Espada a TUI hotel in Torremolinos,, which is under TUI offer at the moment and still saved £200 as got a cheaper price ringing the hotel then through a web site.
In addition buying direct from the hotel you can request your room, whereas your in a TUI room if through the travel company. Even chains like Premier Inn have different grades of rooms, last week end we failed to get the room number we had booked with P I, we received a free night as compensation. I certainly know many rooms at the Pez, TUI book, that I would not like to be placed.
Dont forget the train to Fuengirola, 34 minutes and 3.60 euros, ( 2.50 with a bonotren )and you can wheel your trolley to the train if you want at the airport.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

Latest profile posts

My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.
1st time out and about with my camera for 4 months. 15km walked. Right ankle/foot is mot appreciative of what I did

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock