Manchester Airport - General Thread

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
@marni1971 yes I think this was the cafe, it looks in the same location. I remember going up the escalator in T1 departure lounge and the cafe being there, quite a long area which during the 90's I think had a connection to T3?
Ah. I think we’re talking about another cafe now. The escalator and mezzanine in the landside lounge was added in 1998 as part of the Southern Front expansion project. But there was indeed a cafe on the mezzanine overlooking the apron by 16\17 and a landside link to T3. By the time this cafe was open, the one on the roof was long closed.

Advertisement

Jamman

Premium Member
Subscriber
Oct 31, 2017
Wakefield
The roof of T1 reveals a lot of history, I certainly remember going on the roof in the late 80s/90s - I remember still seeing litter baskets on the roof of the international piers, although access had long since stopped.
During my time refreshments was from a little hut just past what was the café on the roof circled above. There was also a little visitors center for organized tours up there?

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
The roof of T1 reveals a lot of history, I certainly remember going on the roof in the late 80s/90s - I remember still seeing litter baskets on the roof of the international piers, although access had long since stopped.
During my time refreshments was from a little hut just past what was the café on the roof circled above. There was also a little visitors center for organized tours up there?
If memory serves, the tour centre was in the 1970s frontage extension directly above the end of the concourse. You walked “behind” it through the undercover area, heading to pier B you’d pass the original entrance stairway doors and then the larger cafe before the drop down to pier B. If you didn’t drop down on the upper level was the little hut, which again if memory serves was eventually craned on to the roof of the MSCP to act as part of the TAS shop.

Advertisement

Top Bottom