A lot of EZY Ryanair and Wizz check in is all done online now and they use self bag drop facilities so the check in area might suffice?

Yes, check in online is done by most passengers these days I would say...however, there simply isn't enough room now in T1 check in with the EZY drop off machines as an example...that area wasn't designed for the "normal" times of recent summers with those amount of passengers.

I personally think the integration as 1 terminal would be better for the passenger...but I imagine it won't be easy configuring the different areas to suffice.

Looks like UK airports are going to be very quite from Jan 1st as EU plans on banning all non essential traffic to EU so no holidays to Spain or Greece unless they negotiate local deals, Oh dear what a mess>

From BBC
Separately, the European Commission has confirmed reports that a ban on travel to the EU because of Covid-19 levels, now applying to non-EU countries, will be extended to UK visitors from 1 January.
Currently only eight countries with low Covid rates are on the approved list for free travel and there are no plans to add the UK to that list.
But EU member states have control over their own border restrictions and could choose to have their own individual travel corridors and allow British visitors in.

UK airports were always doomed to be very quiet anyway through W20/21. C-19 will continue to be a scourge, as vaccination programmes won't have time to take effect until well into 2021. Many countries will insist on either a clear covid-free test taken within 72 hours before departure, or (later) evidence of innoculation. Others will continue to impose quarantine requirements upon all arriving passengers. The UK itself isn't exactly rolling out the welcome mat at the moment either.

No doubt there are media elements who wish to cast Brexit in the worst possible light for political reasons, but the reality is no change. UK visitors remain excluded from some EU countries now (eg. Eire, unless self-isolating for 14 days). Others will welcome UK tourists to support their essential hospitality industries. Major markets will not be excluding UK travellers on the grounds of Brexit. Covid is another matter, but infection rates will drive decisions on that.

Note also that there may yet be a 'deal' anyway. All negotiations with the EU on any issue always go down to the wire, with all parties claiming they are miles apart with just hours to go. There are lots of precedents for this. Its the way they do things, and political pantomime was always bound to be part of the game on something as high profile as Brexit. Neither side can afford to be adjudged as having caved-in easily. Though if there is no trade agreement, I'm fine with that based on the terms being offered at the moment.

Last edited:
With tonight’s announcements from the UK and Welsh governments ref tier 4, do we still expect airlines to stick with their current schedules at least until Christmas Eve/Christmas Day?
Probably to early to really know, but I imagine their must be many people who already have booked travel and won’t be willing to cancel at this late stage...

And of course I imagine the airport will continue operationally...

I expect all the EU to follow Netherland's lead in stopping all UK travel until 1st January

Much of South West England was also in tier 3 until this new lockdown, as were some English counties along the Welsh border.

Lots of media about Heathrow's superspreader events (arrivals) today.

Plenty of quiet airports elsewhere in the UK to take a bit of traffic.....

TAS have put on one of their social media pages that as of 15th March, the airport will be closed 2100 to 0700 overnight for all traffic until 15th April

TAS have put on one of their social media pages that as of 15th March, the airport will be closed 2100 to 0700 overnight for all traffic until 15th April

Surely the level of traffic is not different now to 15th April (at least) so why these closure times from 15th March?

I had a connecting flight from Heathrow into MAN on 31/03 due to land at 21:35, but was moved forward to 20:00, I see why now.

From SPD_Travels on Twitter

SPD travels
@SPD_travels

News | According to well placed sources, Manchester will reopen Terminal 3 on 1st July, and T2 on 15th July, subject to change/govt policy.

Thanks for the info and good news.
Be interesting to see if the UK government does stick with their current plan (17th May) and these dates are possibly bought forward...

Also, any news on T1...do MAN/MAG plan to use all 3 terminals from July?

With thanks to SPD_Travels for the 'heads up' on this photo

Jefferson Air Photography
@JeffersonAirPh1

Thanks to Manch ATC for the overhead transit today.
@manairport
@_HRphotography
View attachment 23102

8:14 PM · Mar 15, 2021·Twitter Web App

Wow...I hadn't realised just how big the area is!
Sad to see the aircraft parked up with nowhere to go...but good times lie ahead I'm sure!

Behind the Cargo terminal, are those facilities Amazon and DHL? I haven't been around that area since they started building.

Already included in the NOTAM/OAN thread:

Airfield closed overnight between 24th March and 14th April inc
Q) EGTT/QMRLC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005
B) FROM: 21/03/15 21:00C) TO: 21/04/15 06:00
E) RWY 05L/23R NOT AVBL. AD NOT AVBL FOR DIVERTED TRAFFIC
SCHEDULE: MAR 15-MAR 26 2100-0700, MAR 27 2100-0600, MAR 28-APR 14 2000-0600
A0955/21
Q) EGTT/QMRLC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5321N00217W005
B) FROM: 21/03/24 13:01C) TO: 21/04/15 06:59
E) RWY 05R/23L CLOSED

So let’s so what bojo comes out with today ref the new traffic light system for international travel.

I expect the likes of MAG will be watching closely and maybe after 12th April once the travel task force has released it’s final report, MAG/MAN will be able to confirm when the likes of T2X and T3 will reopen.

I believe all 3 terminals will operate this summer, but I also believe the T1 multi storey car park is at the end of it’s structural life? My question to that would be, in that case is demolition the only solution? And if Pier B is older than the MSCP, then why is this s**t heap still operating?

While pier b is still doing the job with no money thrown at it then no major money will be spent to upgrade.Lots of companies around think that way with why throw money at it if its still doing what we want it too. It reflects back to staff as they are the ones to keep it working.

The news today that the government is to speed up its climate change commitments and include international aviation and shipping could well have an impact on airport expansion around the country, including the LHR third runway.

How many annual passengers could MAN handle before it needed to go to its local authority and seek planning permission to expand its facilities to enable it to handle more?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock