It has come to my attention that the new airport boss will be making some large changes to Airport Security contracts. A large number of security officers are reportedly very unhappy about the situation with some apparently not turning in for work in recent weeks? Can anybody clarify if this is the case and if it has been resolved?

Isn’t the security operated in House?. If so could the sound of changes to contracts mean they could be outsourcing security or is it personal changes to the employee contracts?

It is in-house but I can't see how the airport can save any more money. Some really poor money saving changes were put in place when Omniserv previously had the contract. I can't see how they can save any more money without using zero-hours contracts. #lbasecurity #zerohours

I believe when the transition came through from OmniServ to LBA contracts everyone was given the basic 20hours, unless you were a supervisor etc then you got a bit more.
They were more than likely told they would get more than 20hours but if they’re not then notional pay on 20hours is not a lot. Given they’re being paid the basic £7.50 they could get maximum £600/month!!

It isn't necessarily the case that this is to save money. The airport MD has stated he was not happy with security and was going to make changes to improve service levels. Apparently the absence rate is very high at times, particularly at weekends. I suspect the changes are to rectify the issues that are leadinig to the absentee rate whilst at the same time improving staff satisfaction and service levels. He certainly isn't likely to introduce changes that makes things worse than they are already. They are introducing more security scanners and lanes for next summer, so these are issues that need resolving. No point in spending large amounts of money on equipment that is standing idle due to staff not turning into work.

He's probably out to rid those that make the experience rather unpleasant. And i can safely say i've encountered a few 'jobs worths' and 'small person' syndrome up there. Luckily i wouldn't stand for their bull sh*t so they got stick back and quickly shut up. I won't name them but i'm sure if you've been through you'll know the ones. Personally they need to out those people. On the other side of the coin they are some rather nice individuals who do a fantastic job and no matter what time of day or stress levels they have have the correct customer service to deliver an all important and safe job to aviation.

Last edited:
He's probably out to rid those that make the experience rather unpleasant. And i can safely say i've encountered a few 'jobs worths' and 'small person' syndrome up there. Luckily with a blue pass (worked there) i wouldn't stand for their bull sh*t so they got stick back and quickly shut up. I won't name them but i'm sure if you've been through you'll know the ones. Personally they need to out those people. On the other side of the coin they are some rather nice individuals who do a fantastic job and no matter what time of day or stress levels they have have the correct customer service to deliver an all important and safe job to aviation.

It's an interesting term is "jobsworth" as it mean a person that is upholding petty rules. Unfortunately whether we like the CAA rules or not they have to be adhered to as it is the law. I've been on both side of the fence. I've worked for aviation security and I have worked airside, believe me, it's interesting when you have sat on both sides of the fence!

I'll be honest, aviation security personnel come into maybe three categories. Firstly are the ones who do their job as they are trained to do and yet they get ridiculed for doing their job properly (70%). Secondly are the ones who can't be arsed to do their job (20%) and thirdly are the ones who power trip.(10%).

On the other side of the coin, There are some really nice folk who just accept that they need to pass security to do their job and they just get on with it. (70%). There are a number of staff working airside who think they can do whatever they want and take whatever they want through security (20%). Some are downright ignorant and shouldn't be working in an aviation environment at all (10%)

The percentages are the same in whatever job you do!

I'd say then with that Aviador that the 70% fall into my "On the other side of the coin they are some rather nice individuals who do a fantastic job and no matter what time of day or stress levels they have have the correct customer service to deliver an all important and safe job to aviation" whilst the others fall into the other 30% of your category.

The 10% of the power tripping really shouldn't be in the job and are to me 'job's worth's'; the amount of times i've witnessed them speak to airlines customers like dog dirt is disgusting. The whole security process needs reviewing and i'm glad the new senior management are aware of this.

I'd say then with that Aviador that the 70% fall into my "On the other side of the coin they are some rather nice individuals who do a fantastic job and no matter what time of day or stress levels they have have the correct customer service to deliver an all important and safe job to aviation" whilst the others fall into the other 30% of your category.

The 10% of the power tripping really shouldn't be in the job and are to me 'job's worth's'; the amount of times i've witnessed them speak to airlines customers like dog dirt is disgusting. The whole security process needs reviewing and i'm glad the new senior management are aware of this.

Well I am out of the loop now so I couldn't comment on those individuals but the "security process" will not be reviewed as it isn't decided locally.

I'm not on about the process as in the law and legal aspect; i mean the aspect of the level of customer service which some individuals (the 30% who either CBA or are on some sort of power trip) fail to give as they don't even know how to speak to people.

I think a lot of people see the job as just any old job and so won’t be giving 100% commitment.

A lot of people forget about the long hours, early mornings and late nights but that’s part and parcel of the industry, obviously given by the attendance issues raised and mentioned it probably isn’t easy to take on reliable staff when they’re only temporary.

Hopefully things will improve but this Summer they have had 8/9 lanes for security, I pass through most days and I only ever see 5 or 6, maybe 7 max open. They even introduced the Fast Track lane complete with scanner and that is never open!!

Passenger arrested after 'extremely scary' incident on flight to Leeds Bradford Airport

Sensational journalism at best. It would seem the main reason for the passengers complaint was because he had incurred additional charges for parking. That's really not the fault of the airport. If we were talking about a similar incident on a rail service the passenger wouldn't be complaining about additional parking charges. His rant about using Manchester airport in future wont remove the possibility of aggressive behaviour by fellow passengers.

Passenger arrested after 'extremely scary' incident on flight to Leeds Bradford Airport

Sensational journalism at best. It would seem the main reason for the passengers complaint was because he had incurred additional charges for parking. That's really not the fault of the airport. If we were talking about a similar incident on a rail service the passenger wouldn't be complaining about additional parking charges. His rant about using Manchester airport in future wont remove the possibility of aggressive behaviour by fellow passengers.
I don't see what the anonymous man thinks he has to complain about.

The aircraft left Bratislava over an hour late and its arrival at LBA was similarly delayed. OK, but these things happen and the delay might not have been the fault of Ryanair (probably wasn't) and certainly not the fault of LBA.

There is an incident during the flight that led to police awaiting the aircraft's arrival at LBA, as a result of which a man was arrested.

Following the arrest passengers were further delayed, according to the anonymous man, with the result that he incurred extra car parking charges. I presume because by then the time had moved past midnight into another calendar day.

I still don't know why the anonymous man was 'quite annoyed' with Ryanair and LBA. I can only assume the passengers were kept on the aircraft after the arrest with no explanation but the newspaper report is vague on that.

The following message has appeared on the airport's website home page, Looks like the airport are expecting some delays in security this weekend what with the School half term get away.

Screenshot 2022-02-15 194516.png

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock