the Yorkshire airport program last night was a show of two halfs for me. negative points, how they kept saying our small airport with big ambitions! small would be teeside or doncaster airports, we handle 4million plus pax a year with an apron full of 737 and 757 aircraft side by side! The airport staff did not come across in the brightest way,abit dim and that comment at the end reg the flybe door dropping off in mid air, wtf! On the plus side the show had some great camera shots of the airfield and where the DRONE was following departing and landing aircraft with good close up shots of aircraft. So overall not too bad but could be better.

Given Jet2's dominance at the airport it would be unbalanced if they didnt feature 'large' in the series. However as I say the pixellation of their logos suggests they did not participate in the programme.

I dont want to be unkind, but most of the staff that featured last night didnt come across as being particularly professsional.

Looks like Ryanair are to cut some unprofitable routes and close some bases very shortly due to the on going Boeing 737-MAX issues and delayed deliveries.

Let's just hope LBA bases comes out unscathed.
We were told at the last AGM last September, that costs were rising and seat income falling and that too few customers were chasing far too many routes and that the company would have to cut deeply its route net work and look at the number of bases.
It seems that the Boeing Max issue has allowed the company to reduce routes without having to place the blame where it belongs for this step i.e. on the management.
Boeing have given the company a huge get out of jail card and everyone will now put the company losses down to the Boeing Max, rather then total management failures.
Ryanair will announce all routes that the Boeing max will fly on, not sure if you will be able to swap your ticket free though. Why fly the aircraft if you need to advise your customer, if any doubts dont fly it.
As someone said during 9/11, now is a good time, even more so with Brexit to get rid of all the bad news.

As I reported recently, Ryanair are already intending to reduce their longer flight offering from LBA down to the Canaries from this winter, and do more flights to the Spanish mainland instead. Lets hope that is the extent of their cut backs from LBA. Don't think we were scheduled to get the MAX here anyway, but my worry is that the lack of new MAX aircraft will result in Ryanair pinching 800s from other bases to replace those not delivered.

Ryanair have started to upload the extra xmas/New Years departures. So far Leeds have 7x to Murcia, Warsaw, Bratislava, Krakow & Riga.

Thursday, December 19th 2019
FR251 = LBA 06:00 - RMU 10:00 / FR252 = RMU 10:35 - LBA 12:30
Tuesday, December 31st 2019
FR618 = LBA 16:50 - WMI 20:15 / FR619 = WMI 20:40 - LBA 22:20
Wednesday, January 1st 2020
FR7190 = LBA 09:10 - BTS 12:35 / FR7191 = BTS 13:00 - LBA 14:35
FR2333 = KRK 17:45 - LBA 19:15 / FR2332 = LBA 19:40 - KRK 23:10 (Operated by Ryanair Sun)
Thursday, January 2nd 2020
FR251 = LBA 06:00 - RMU 10:00 / FR252 = RMU 10:35 - LBA 12:30
Tuesday, January 7th 2020
FR618 = LBA 06:10 - WMI 09:35 / FR619 = WMI 10:00 - LBA 11:40
FR2482 = LBA 16:25 - RIX 21:05 / FR2483 = RIX 21:30 - LBA 22:30

According to the forecast with the decrease in Passenger numbers year on year for the winter period 30 less aircraft are needed.
It was already planned to lay up 60 aircraft this winter, so plenty of tolerance.
In fact with the projected 2 million passenger reduction caused by route reduction doubtful if the 28 new max aircraft due will be missed (year to March 2020).
The company has already stated in March that steps to delay lease returns would be taken as new Max aircraft fail to appear.
I can hear the shouts even now that we will hear from MOL at Septembers AGM about the damage Boeing has done to the airline and no doubt brexit as we will be close to the October 31st deadline.

Ryanair union pilots ballot this week on strike action (balpa members)
The ballot result is expected on the 7th August, strikes could occurr after 7 days from the ballot result.
last week Kenny Jacobs hoped to reach agreement with Ryanair German pilots, but I have not seen any news on the talks.
He is in talks with most european pilot bodies and non as yet has reached an agreement.
Its been an awful 18 months of disputes and few have been resolved.

Does anybody know why FR2503 set off back to Faro nearly an hour late especially as it landed 30 mins ahead of schedule this morning as FR2504?
Had a tech problem on initial push back so went back on stand to get assistance

I'm not confirming that Leeds base is safe,
But it looks like Ryanair's bases at Belfast Int'l, Glasgow and Edinburgh might take the brunt of the route cuts that MOL spoke about earlier this month due to the late delivery's of its Boeing 737-MAX and the #Brexit effect making these bases the least profitable.

I'm not confirming that Leeds base is safe,
But it looks like Ryanair's bases at Belfast Int'l, Glasgow and Edinburgh might take the brunt of the route cuts that MOL spoke about earlier this month due to the late delivery's of its Boeing 737-MAX and the #Brexit effect making these bases the least profitable.

As I recall, Glasgow lost its Ryanair base last year when they opted to base aircraft only at Edinburgh and Prestwick, so if they axe routes out of Glasgow, there will be very little in the way of a Ryanair presence there at all.

On a separate note - does anyone know if Boeing have stopped production now of the 737 800 series in order to concentrate entirely on the MAX variants, or is the 800 still available? If production has stopped then I imagine that Jet2 would have got a very good deal indeed when buying a large number of the last of the type to be built. Seems to me that perhaps Boeing should make the 800 available again, given it is proven and reliable. The MAX and it's continued problems are going to cause mayhem in the aviation industry, threatening jobs, bases, routes and airports alike.

It is a part of the problem, alongside Brexit, but i think one of the major problems at Ryanair is they face rising costs. After years of f**king over crews; they are now rising up against MOL and the big boys and getting what they want. If he had treated them, like Herb Kelleher at Southwest did, they wouldn't have problems of rising costs.

They have always been a very loyal Boeing customer and I don’t think that will change. They are just using the max as an excuse to cut unprofitable routes and bases whilst they have a valid reason. However I believe Ryanair is profitable at Leeds as most aircraft operate mostly full which won’t be the same on other more obscure routes.

On a separate note - does anyone know if Boeing have stopped production now of the 737 800 series in order to concentrate entirely on the MAX variants, or is the 800 still available? If production has stopped then I imagine that Jet2 would have got a very good deal indeed when buying a large number of the last of the type to be built. Seems to me that perhaps Boeing should make the 800 available again, given it is proven and reliable. The MAX and it's continued problems are going to cause mayhem in the aviation industry, threatening jobs, bases, routes and airports alike.

I understand that the 800 production line ceased a while back as they put all their eggs in the Mad Max basket. Jet2 did get a very good deal indeed, but they have disassembled the line apparantly.

Yeah just noticed that Sky News has picked up and released a video from MOL to Ryanair staff which he is seen to be announcing up to 900 job losses. With routs and base closures to be announced during August.

I'm sure the UK & Irish based pilots Unions will have something to say about this!

I think the FR backlash has far wider implications. The legacy carriers had to cut costs to compete. That has impacted on salaries etc. No coincidence BA pilots to strike over pay. Don't recall these issues when no LCCs to compete with. Or am I wide of the mark here?

At last years AGM in September as I detailed on this thread Ryanair stated far to few passengers chasing far to many flights resulting in seat prices falling and yields dropping.
At the time the 900 job losses were mooted, plus 10% route cuts and a similar number of bases and that was the bear minimum assuming all the disputes with cabin staff and pilots were settled. As disputes increasing not decreasing.
The Boeing Max situation was not even known about at this time, can someone explain to me if your overstaffed by hundreds of pilots for your present operation and you intend to remove 60 planes from the operation and hundreds of pilots, how can you be short of planes.
MOL is using the Max situation to cover the dreadful way the group has been run. Interesting at last years AGM he stated he would only sign up for a further one year, which was refused by the board, however, with possibly a new Chairman to be appointed, he has sought the safety of a 5 year deal, a deal that I imagine will not please shareholders.
Shareholders have seen their share price half in the last two years and likely to fall further
Chief Operating Officer Peter Bellow has defected to Easyjet which would seem he was passed over to take over as MD at Ryanair DAC, assume David O'Brien will get this role, although it may wait for a new Chairman.
All the present financial news is old hat, nothing to do with Brexit or Boeing.

Yes they’re cutting 900 jobs, including up to 500 pilots. What I can’t understand is why are they still running training flights at DSA every day for new start pilots?
I know they recruited heavily after their pilot shortage a year ago, but if, as Tarn Spotter points out, they were planning cutbacks on routes and bases anyway, why wast all the training and recruitment costs to then get rid!
I can only assume that they will lose higher paid flight crew and replace them with newly qualified, lower paid pilots.

LBA-FAO will be affected but only with Faro based equipment which I think they all are this time of year.

Everything with O`Leary is smoke and mirrors, I wonder how much of this latest `dramatic announcement` is for the benefit of the various unions and how much, in reality, is truth. As always with him, its time that will tell.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock