Hi there all, I read in last week's addition of the Birmingham Post, the the reason why Birmingham city Council and the other six metropolitan District Councils won't support the airport with any funding is because Birmingham City Council owes other councils around the country up to £200 million plus, so this is where Birmingham Airport now seriously needs to start thinking about finding another private investor from somewhere, before the mess hits the fan... Andyc

Birmingham City Council seemingly are in debt to a great degree and may have to do an NEC and sell off more assets. Perhaps BHX could be purchased by the Chinese government and much needed investment to bring the airport up to the standards expected of a major international hub. My own view but anything to wake the place up will be an improvement!

if BHX needs new ownership, my preference would be Global Infrastructure Partners. They have stakes in Gatwick and Edinburgh, which have seen infrastructure investment and gained a lot of new airlines in the last 10 years.

Another airport that has seen massive infrastructure investment has been Luton under the management of Aena/AMP, but the build quality of the new terminal and the customer experience during the redevelopment has been...shall we say...less than stellar.

I can see the scuffles, "Why are you walking so slowly?". ". I am in a hurry, move over or hurry up all ya!" . It won't work!
If the goverment agrees to a lesser social distancing measurement as it's being asked to do by some quarters that will have to be done all over again.

Extend distance separation in open areas from say 2m to 5m as it helps prevent bunching, and the potential for friction. Clearly it is a difficult nut to crack unless all public restrictions are lifted.

You have lockdown or you do not. Partial lockdown causes problems where non need exist. Stay indoors was clear and simple but people insist upon personal freedoms and will keep pushing at boundaries and a weak government will quiver and introduce the inevitable curates egg. Personally, I am staying put as it makes life oh so simple for me.

You have lockdown or you do not. Partial lockdown causes problems where non need exist. Stay indoors was clear and simple but people insist upon personal freedoms and will keep pushing at boundaries and a weak government will quiver and introduce the inevitable curates egg. Personally, I am staying put as it makes life oh so simple for me.
With your legal background, JJ, I'm sure you will know better than most of us that if enough people decide to ignore the law or government guidance there is very little that the government or law enforcement agencies can do about it at the time.

That was made crystal clear at the weekend with tens of thousands of people taking to the streets across the country united in their determination to highlight racism. For the most part they ignored social distancing and the police had to accept there was nothing they could do about it and, worried about escalating a confrontation in Bristol, even stood aside when a group pulled down a statue and dragged it into the harbour.

Most places struggle to maintain 2m social distancing even at the best of times - with 5m you'd have to book slots just to leave your house!

I remember seeing some stats recently for Covid & Social distancing (apologies I can't remember where it was so can't post a link) but the chances of Covid being transmitted were given for various distances:

1m - 13%
2m - 3%
For every meter more than 2m, the chance of infection dropped by half (i.e. 3m 1.5%, 4m 0.75%, 5m 0.375%, etc).

Obviously all figures are calculated as being an average chance, and assuming certain things - e.g. if you stand 1m away from someone with Covid and they sneeze directly at you, it's probably a given you'd get it.

I also find it interesting that nothing is now mentioned about the 2m for 15 minutes rule (was it even 30 minutes at the very beginning?). Since the start of lockdown I've started going out for runs (essential for sanity especially over recent weeks!), and almost without exception people either step into and wait in a driveway, or step in the road to maintain the 2m social distancing. One time I was running down a passageway less than 2m wide, and when I approached a man turned and faced the wall. Without doing any social distancing, even with my sometimes slow pace (after a hill ;)) we'd be closer than 2m for a matter of seconds. There's almost certainly a greater chance of you being hit by a car when stepping into the road than catching Covid if you hadn't!

Mob rule comes to mind as Police chose to monitor the situation and deal only with obvious criminality as and when it occurred. Had protesters engaged in riotous activities the police would have to intervene but on the whole the marches were peaceful and was a global reaction to events in Minnesota.

as things stand, there have been no prosecutions under the Coronavirus Act since Criminal Jury Trials are currently suspended though Magistrates are hearing summary cases that are not indictable, and as no test case has resulted in a verdict or judgment, there is no case law for prosecutors to refer to.

edited for clarification 17:45 10th June.

Last edited:
Jennyjet
I`m working full time have had the virus but been back at work 4 weeks was talking to someone from Manchester airport today and have also seen list of what is happening in next month and things look as if the will be returning towards a normal of airlines just not as frequent at first so expect BHX will be doing same. As long as social distancing is followed and masks worn where needed we will be OK and remembering to wash hands

Yes Mr. Mullion, I agree with you completely. Though not sure the reason for the directed nature of your post, I do accept your remarks with due humility and respect. Off to render my hands to sanitation then to my bed.

Jenny thanks, perhaps because I was knackered after long day at work could have been written better but glad we agree.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock