The brass playable version is intricate also and I could never get to grips because of shape and balance needed and it is somewhat heavy to hold and play. However it produces a divine sound.....

According to wicki there was a chap called Bill Hunt who played French horn the hunting horn and keyboard with them in 1971-72.

No idea if it was the person you mentioned.

Fortunately Mrs Yokel is a cricket fan and we've visited the MCG twice on our Oz visits. It's a wonderful stadium. We've been there for a Sheffield Shield game to watch Victoria against Western Australia when fewer than 1,000 spectators were present, and for a World Cup quarter-final between India and Bangladesh when 60,000 mainly fanatical Indian fans made for an unforgettable, joyous occasion with an Indian win the icing on the cake for them. We were sitting amongst them and became honorary Indian supporters for the day. We've never been there when an Ashes series has been on though.

Mrs Yokel is also partial to a drop of wine so we've managed to make quite a number of wine trips in various Oz states. We became very friendly with the president of the Victoria Wine Guild and his wife who live near our daughter and her family on the Great Ocean Road which was extremely fortuitous.

South Africa sounds a fantastic experience. I always think of the Blue Train when anyone mentions visiting that country.

Several years ago we spent a few days in the Hunter Valley in New South Wales and had a fabulous time, well from what we can remember, with the scenery as beautiful as the wine. I have a feeling that South Africa wouldn't disappoint.

I was never one of those people that found shopping a must do on a holiday. Even at the airport, I avoided shops as it wasted spotting time before boarding. I would much prefer a sedentary activity like the long excursions or indeed a cricket match.

Thankfully Mrs F isn't much of a shopper what suits me fine. She does like a tour of the airport departure lounge though but I think it's more of a way to pass the time as the only purchases she ever seems to make are books.

The relevant editor should consider his position for not correcting the writer and would suggest a visit to East Midlands airport where 'massive ' Soviet era aircraft are regular visitors or go to You Tube to see them for himself.

I do not know about journalism and how the trade describe a fact to be truthful, a core pillar I assumed. Yet I found the article of interest but difficult to read once it drifted into football

An article in today's Sunday Times about the demise of Ian Allen Bookshops. The Birmingham branch closed a few years ago, along with Manchester and Cardiff branches. Although primarily aimed at railway enthusiasts initially, they went on to cater for all aspects of travel, with an excellent range for aviation lovers. Many happy hours were spent in the Brum shop. Stephenson Street i recall.

An article in today's Sunday Times about the demise of Ian Allen Bookshops. The Birmingham branch closed a few years ago, along with Manchester and Cardiff branches. Although primarily aimed at railway enthusiasts initially, they went on to cater for all aspects of travel, with an excellent range for aviation lovers. Many happy hours were spent in the Brum shop. Stephenson Street i recall.

Weren't Ian Allen involved in the BHX viewing lounge at some point as well?

Kevin

I can't confirm that Kevin. I don't recall Ian Allen having any presence at BHX. We certainly had the Ron Swinburn Aviation shop, situated in the Viewing Gallery entrance (upstairs) at what was then the new 1984 built terminal. Prior to that Swinburn had what amounted to a shed to trade from on Hanger Road on the old Elmdon side.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock