And here is the official press release.

Government Hub to be built in the heart of Leeds
Cabinet Office, HM Revenue & Customs, NHS Digital, and Caroline Nokes MP
Part of:
Government property
Published:
6 September 2017
The Cabinet Office has announced 7 & 8 Wellington Place as the location of a brand new Government Hub in Leeds.

s300_Leeds_Hub_copy.jpg

Leeds Hub
HMRC, working with the Cabinet Office, will take approximately 378,000 sq ft at Wellington Place on a 25 year lease. This is the biggest ever commercial property letting in Leeds. The deal will see 6,000 civil servants working in a state-of-the-art new city centre premises in 2020.

Government Hubs will transform central government’s offices by accommodating many different departments in shared buildings in London and in the regions. The programme will deliver taxpayer savings, act as a catalyst for regional growth and ensure the delivery of the best quality services to the public.

There will be 18-22 strategic hubs across the UK, located in major towns and cities and accessible by a range of excellent transport links. Hubs will be modern, sustainable buildings, supported by smart technology and shared services.

Wellington Place, close to Leeds Station, will deliver high quality offices for civil and public servants, including for HMRC, which will operate one of its 13 regional centres from Wellington Place.

NHS Digital will also relocate to Wellington Place, which will support the organisation’s move to enable smarter and more flexible working, and collaboration.

Minister for Government Resilience and Efficiency, Caroline Nokes, said:

The Civil Service is a great place to work and enabling civil servants to have high quality and modern working environments will ensure that we work productively and deliver the best services to the public across the country.

The Leeds hubs will be a catalyst for growth in the surrounding cities and towns, helping rebalance the UK economy and underpin our strategy for a strong, well-connected Northern Powerhouse that can continue to provide good-quality jobs and economic growth across the region.

HMRC Chief Executive Jon Thompson said:

We are delighted to be part of the new UK Government Hub in Wellington Place, Leeds. This is another step in HMRC’s transformation into a modern digitally advanced tax authority.

It’s the beginning of a process that will see around 3,800 colleagues come together in state-of-the art facilities, enabling closer working relationships and increasing our effectiveness in collecting taxes. It will also make HMRC an important contributor to the economy and to communities in and around Leeds.

Chief Executive of NHS Digital, Sarah Wilkinson, said:

We are delighted to co-announce our involvement with the new Leeds Government hub, this is a significant investment in the city and reinforces their long-term commitment to Leeds.

As one of Leeds major employers, it is an opportunity for greater consolidation of our Leeds estate when completed and will enable us at NHS Digital to build on our existing strong relationships with the wider NHS and government departments.

Over the past few years, Leeds has established itself as the major digital city in England with a thriving technology sector, which NHS Digital is proud to be a part of. The work NHS Digital does here in Leeds affects the lives of everyone in the country. Being part of the Government Hubs programme in Leeds is a great opportunity to work in partnership with both national and local organisations.

www.gov.uk/government/news/government-hub-to-be-built-in-the-heart-of-leeds

Call me a pessimist if you like but compared with the plans for similar schemes in Manchester and Birmingham I'm not overly impressed by these artist impressions. I was hoping for something far more visionary than this.

Is there any timeline for the redevelopment of Leeds City Station? Cost?

@TheLocalYokel here you go!

ob1lQGQ.jpg

Zone 0: 2017 - 2023

Comprises enabling works, outside of the Study scope, to decant traffic from Neville Street and the installation of new river crossings as temporary or permanent diversions of pedestrians and cyclists to allow the installation of HS2. Off-site highways alterations and preparations are also to be undertaken along with relocating buses and taxis from New Station Street.

Zone 1: 2021 - 2023

Includes the repurposing of New Station Street and Bishopgate Street to create the new Bishop gate Square entrance with stronger connection with City Square and Trinity.

Zone 2: 2022 - 2025

2A includes highways and public realm works to Princes’ Square, the existing car parks, commercial over-site development along with works to the West Overbridge. 2B includes Riverside redevelopment*, a new river road crossing and new multi-storey car park near Whitehall Road.

Zone 3: 2023 - 2026

3A includes the existing South Concourse with adjacent retail spaces and adaptation of the lower floors of City House including the new mezzanine deck and breaking through new openings into the Dark Arches. 3B includes the conservation works in and around the North Concourse.

Zone 4: 2024 - 2026

Includes the new central overbridge and adaptation of the Dark Arches. Works here will need to be coordinated with track capacity, signalling, platform and other franchiseinvestments.

Zone 5: 2029 – 2035*

Includes repurposing Neville Street, streetscape and highways changes and commercial developments* north of the river

Zone 6-9: 2021 – 2042*

Includes all the works south of the river, phased and sequenced to suit the delivery of HS2 and market demands for commercial development*.
Urban realm investments will be brought forward sequentially and aligned with commercial plot development to ensure a holistic and coordinated approach to urban
planning.

Many thanks Dobbo.

LEEDS Capital of Culture Bid.

What a complete and utter shambles for all our UK bid cities. :rage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42097692
Abiding strictly by the rules I suppose they are right but it's another spiteful and petty action taken by the EU to punish the UK. The EU is desperate to stop other nations leaving and is wading in with the big stick whenever it can, pour encourager les autres.

In some ways I'll be thankful when I'm no longer associated with such a vindictive organisation.

Abiding strictly by the rules I suppose they are right but it's another spiteful and petty action taken by the EU to punish the UK. The EU is desperate to stop other nations leaving and is wading in with the big stick whenever it can pour encourager les autres.

In some ways I'll be thankful when I'm no longer associated with such a vindictive organisation.

I don't know why anybody is surprised at this decision, it should have been expected. When we leave the European Union we will still be European but the capital of culture is run and paid for by grants from the European Commission. If we are no longer paying into the European Union it's only fair the prize goes to participating union countries and not to those who choose to leave the club. It's a classic case of the UK wanting to have it's cake and eat it.

I don't know why anybody is surprised at this decision, it should have been expected. When we leave the European Union we will still be European but the capital of culture is run and paid for by grants from the European Commission. If we are no longer paying into the European Union it's only fair the prize goes to participating union countries and not to those who choose to leave the club. It's a classic case of the UK wanting to have it's cake and eat it.
It depends on what sort of deal there will be. It is highly likely that the UK will continue to something into the EU coffers for quite a while. Plus the UK has paid a lot of money into the EU over the years. It also gives the impression that the EU is punishing the UK. A far better approach may have been to honour 2023 but then say afterwards would be subject to any deal.

The government has made it clear "we are leaving the European Union in March 2019". Nobody knows what will happen after that, even our own government it would seem. Like it or not, at least the EU is being clear and concise on the matter. Shortly after the European Capital of Culture bid for Leeds was submitted I can recall saying to the other-half "we're wasting our time with that one". The local BBC ran a report saying they were unsure whether or not the bid would be affected by the UK leaving the EU. It would have been prudent for the UK cities participating to seek clarification prior to submitting their bids.

Yes we are leaving the European Union but not Europe and i'm sure there is European stuff that involves non EU countries. Stavanger was a European Capital of Culture in 2008 and Norway isn't a member of the European Union.

Yes we are leaving the European Union but not Europe and i'm sure there is European stuff that involves non EU countries. Stavanger was a European Capital of Culture in 2008 and Norway isn't a member of the European Union.

Norway is a EFTA/EEA member country.

After Brexit the UK will be neither.

I'm still a bit uncertain as to what it means. I wonder if they would repeat it to avoid any doubt.

The PM is really squeezed. She was a somewhat lukewarm Remainer in the run-up to the Referendum but now has to pilot the Leave vote where deep down she seems equally lukewarm. Two or three years ago I read an unauthorised biography of George Osborne. The author is an experienced political journalist (can't for the life of me remember his name at the moment) and inevitably the then chancellor's colleagues came into the story.

If the author is to be believed Theresa May, although outwardly confident as Home Secretary, could never make up her mind about important issues and she was given the name May or May Not by frustrated senior civil servants. Sounds a bit like FlyMaybe.

Latest proposal for Bridge House in Leeds City Centre.

Mmmmmmmm dunno if i like this one, looks too bulky and messy for my liking. Would much prefer a slender more taller single tower ??

Latest proposal for Bridge House in Leeds City Centre.

Mmmmmmmm dunno if i like this one, looks too bulky and messy for my liking. Would much prefer a slender more taller single tower ??

We've seen many whacky proposals in Leeds, some good lookers, some not so good. I'm sure architects use Leeds as a test bed for their moch renders. Kissing towers to the Spiricle, they never get built.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock