my girl friend at the time was mad on the rollers. they were sort of ok to listen to. I was into rock music then.
RIP LES

I was into rock music then.
I still am into Rock music. I remember in my late teens and early twenties when listening to bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Rush, AC/DC etc wondering whether when I got older if I would still enjoy it. I love it more now than I ever have! I have a better understanding of the quality of musicianship of the band members and some of the lyrics read as poetry (especially Rush).

Kevin

I was never a great rock and roll fan although I liked probably the first real rock number, Bill Haley's Rock Around The Clock. I was in the second form at the local boys' grammar school then.

AC/DC brings back a memory. In the 1970s I met the band in their dressing room after a performance at Bristol's Colston Hall (as it was called then - I won't go any further with its controversial renaming) and had a long chat with Angus Young, the lead guitarist who liked to dress as a schoolboy on stage.

I was not there for pleasure and the noise from the stage was deafening during the performance. One of the stewards gave me some cotton wool to stuff into my ears.

More and more of the 'pop' performers of the 50s, 60s and even the 70s seem to be leaving the stage for good these days. I don't recognise all the names but it reinforces the fact that eras come and go.

Not all of them, I was grounded in Classical and the formal examinations were terrifyingly difficult but the rewards are in my mind and collection of recordings. Musically, the big beasts of the repertoire never fade and they always sell out at the traditional venues.

I never could understand the pop culture as 5 minute offerings were just noise or a major irritant to me.

I notice that a lot of records it did not like back in the day ,its like its mellowed and quite a few i would listen to now. Could be a age thing kicked in.

Michael Collins

Sad to report that Apollo 11 Astronaut Michael Collins has passed away aged 90. Michael is the one who stayed in lunar orbit in the command module whilst Neil Armstrong ans Buzz Aldrin went down to the Moon on the lunar lander.

R.I.P. Michael and Godspeed.

Kevin

Dusty Hill, RIP

Saddened to learn that the bassist from ZZ Top, Dusty Hill has passed away aged 72.

RIP, Dusty and thanks for all the great music.

Kevin

Terry Cooper, one of the integral parts of the great Leeds United side under Don Revie, has died aged 77. TC of the marvellous left foot and tremendous speed played nominally at left-back but many will remember him for his overlapping attacking movements down the left flank.

He played 20 times for England.

I have personal memories of watching him later in his career when he played for and managed both Bristol City and Bristol Rovers.

Sincere condolences to his loved ones. RIP.

Sir Clive Sinclair aged 81. Pocket calculator to ZX80/81/Spectrum to C5 electric vehicle. The number of people of people who got into coding as a result of his inventions is only apparent today reading tribute. Bringing to everyone's home the a more affordable computer (I still remember seeing the ads in our computer room at school for the ZX81 with the price under £50)). Many a happy time playing the games created for the Spectrum and an equal amount of time on working on my own programs trying to squeeze maximum capability with the limited memory at the time with it's rubber keys having a keywod such as "PRINT", "LET", "GOTO".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58587521

I remember the computer at my school, punch tape and a modem with rubber cups for the telephone receiver the actual computer was in Newcastle upon Tyne. We had to learn BASIC, and my calculator was a Sinclair Scientific which needed knowledge of Scientific notation to use it. So few keys to use so a lot of double useage. What a chap!

Don’t remember Jimmy Greaves,the player.I do remember him as one of the original football pundits.
Always looking to see the funny side,but having the honesty and passion to speak his mind.Something today’s pundits could learn to do,with a bit of humour and be less egotistical.
Will be missed by many,both from a football point of view,and from a wider perspective.

Jimmy Greaves was a few years older than me but I regard him as a contemporary in my early adult football world, not that I had even one per cent of his footballing ability.

He was a goal-poacher extraordinaire, but that is to do him an injustice because there was far more to his game. His international and club goal-scoring records are there for all to see. Controversially he was left out of England's 1966 World Cup Final team. He played in the group games but was then injured and, although fit for the Final, his replacement Geoff Hurst did so well that manager Alf Ramsey retained Hurst for the Final tie - no substitutes in those days.

Greavsie had personal challenges in his life away from football, including the loss of one of his children as an infant.

His Saturday lunchtime football programme with former Scotland and Liverpool star Ian St John, Saint and Greavsie, was surely one of the most entertaining football shows ever to be shown on television.

I can only remember seeing him play once 'in the flesh' - against Spain at Wembley in 1961 a game that England won 4-2 and Greavsie scored England's first goal in the opening minutes of the match.

Thank you Greavsie for so many happy football memories, admittedly most seen through the screen in the corner of the room. That's what comes from living in a football backwater where great teams and great players rarely appear in person.

Sincere condolences to his loved ones. RIP.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock