I have just heard that a former Manchester controller John Wildman has recently passed away at Christies Hospital in Manchester.

John qualified in around 1972 and I was fortunate to meet him via another Manchester controller - who had mover out to Toronto. Without John I would not have had the opportunities that he gave me to visit both the 1962 tower, but also it's replacement that opened in June 2013.

John RIP and keep our skies safe as you look down from above.

View attachment 16864

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like John was very well respected in the aviation world. RIP

The one thing I liked about Jack Charlton was his straight from the hip style. Plain speaking when necessary and barbed sarcasm if one was intelligent to notice. He certainly was not as diplomatic as his brother Bobby hence the lack of Royal Honours. What differentiates him from the others of the 66 squad was his non compliance with media expectations and I applaud him for that!

What a man, I cannot think of anyone that can come close.

Not only was Jack Charlton a top centre-half but he also had a personality that could get the best out of players when he went into management. I only saw him play once 'in the flesh' and that was in a testimonial match.

Rarely mentioned so far as I'm aware is the fact that if the laws of the game in 1966 had been as they are now Jack would not have played in the final. In the semi-final against Portugal he blatantly handled a shot on the goal line to prevent a certain goal. These days it would have been a red card and suspension for the next match. Portugal scored from the resultant penalty kick and I don't think Jack was even booked. Players weren't then for that sort of thing.

RIP.

Back in the day, I believe both players and referees understood the difference between blatantly deliberate handball and instinctive defence of the face or head handball. i.e. Gamesmanship v. Professional foul. I am not aware of the semi-final incident therefore comment would be invalid. However the game of Association football is a different beast now. No back pass, no shirt pulling, almost no physical contact. Thank goodness there is Rugby League!

Back in the day, I believe both players and referees understood the difference between blatantly deliberate handball and instinctive defence of the face or head handball. i.e. Gamesmanship v. Professional foul. I am not aware of the semi-final incident therefore comment would be invalid. However the game of Association football is a different beast now. No back pass, no shirt pulling, almost no physical contact. Thank goodness there is Rugby League!
It's on YouTube. It was a deliberate handball that prevented the ball from entering the net.

I played some rather mediocre level semi-pro football (Western League) in the early 1960s and the game was different then. Players from those days though would have adapted to the modern game and Jack Charlton would have been a top man in any era.

Very sad news reported today - the death of Norbert 'Nobby' Stiles the pugnacious Manchester United and England footballer. Nobby was certainly a character and who can forget his uncoordinated dancing on the pitch at Wembley after England had won the World Cup in 1966?

I believe he was bespectacled for much of his football career although he didn't wear them on the pitch. He died at the age of 78 following a battle with prostate cancer.

The news today comes after yesterday's announcement of the death of the great Welsh rugby union player J J Williams, who was 72. He was part of arguably the greatest ever Welsh team that took everything by storm in the 1970s.

RIP both and condolences to their families.

2020 has witnessed the death of a number of prominent former footballers: Harry Gregg, Peter Bonetti, Norman Hunter and Jack Charlton have all left us this year, and now Nobby Stiles.

Two celebrity deaths reported today, sadly:

Ray Clemence, the great England, Liverpool and Spurs goalkeeper and Des O'Connor the very popular entertainer.

I saw Ray Clemence play for Liverpool in person three or four times when Bristol City were in the old First Division in the second half of the 1970s. England were extremely lucky to have two such fine goalkeepers as Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton battling it out to be the number one. He died after a long battle with prostate cancer.

I wasn't a huge fan of Des O'Connor but I recognise that he was a great favourite of so many people. I do remember seeing him in the legendary Morecambe and Wise television series of the 1970s.

RIP both and condolences to their loved ones.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock