The Official Tribute Thread

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
I have just heard that a former Manchester controller John Wildman has recently passed away at Christies Hospital in Manchester.

John qualified in around 1972 and I was fortunate to meet him via another Manchester controller - who had mover out to Toronto. Without John I would not have had the opportunities that he gave me to visit both the 1962 tower, but also it's replacement that opened in June 2013.

John RIP and keep our skies safe as you look down from above.

155.JPG

Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like John was very well respected in the aviation world. RIP

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
The one thing I liked about Jack Charlton was his straight from the hip style. Plain speaking when necessary and barbed sarcasm if one was intelligent to notice. He certainly was not as diplomatic as his brother Bobby hence the lack of Royal Honours. What differentiates him from the others of the 66 squad was his non compliance with media expectations and I applaud him for that!

What a man, I cannot think of anyone that can come close.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Not only was Jack Charlton a top centre-half but he also had a personality that could get the best out of players when he went into management. I only saw him play once 'in the flesh' and that was in a testimonial match.

Rarely mentioned so far as I'm aware is the fact that if the laws of the game in 1966 had been as they are now Jack would not have played in the final. In the semi-final against Portugal he blatantly handled a shot on the goal line to prevent a certain goal. These days it would have been a red card and suspension for the next match. Portugal scored from the resultant penalty kick and I don't think Jack was even booked. Players weren't then for that sort of thing.

RIP.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
Back in the day, I believe both players and referees understood the difference between blatantly deliberate handball and instinctive defence of the face or head handball. i.e. Gamesmanship v. Professional foul. I am not aware of the semi-final incident therefore comment would be invalid. However the game of Association football is a different beast now. No back pass, no shirt pulling, almost no physical contact. Thank goodness there is Rugby League!

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Back in the day, I believe both players and referees understood the difference between blatantly deliberate handball and instinctive defence of the face or head handball. i.e. Gamesmanship v. Professional foul. I am not aware of the semi-final incident therefore comment would be invalid. However the game of Association football is a different beast now. No back pass, no shirt pulling, almost no physical contact. Thank goodness there is Rugby League!
It's on YouTube. It was a deliberate handball that prevented the ball from entering the net.

I played some rather mediocre level semi-pro football (Western League) in the early 1960s and the game was different then. Players from those days though would have adapted to the modern game and Jack Charlton would have been a top man in any era.

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
R.I.P. Peter Green

Peter Green guitarist and co-founder of Fleetwood Mac has died aged 73. Although he left the band in 1970 due to health issues he had set a lasting legacy which remained with the band through the following decades.

Kevin

Advertisement

Top Bottom