let's just say I was cutting an onion or two at work after the news was broken. I hope that somewhere someone will puyt together a biographical film perhaps interspersed with such clips that exist of hm (e.g. the Blankety Blank appearance and the clips of the fund raising, knighthood and Barbados holiday) so that we can leave to the generations not yet born that this was a man who fought for his country, a humble man that came into the public eye and then into the public's heart with admiration in raising funds for the charities associated with the NHS and giving hope for the future. A far more worthy individual to have as a role model than all those self-designated freeloading "influencers" who seek to get all the nice things without spending a penny,

Yet is sad to see that I have seen on a certain social media site people begrudging him his family as his mortal life force ebbed away but the eternal remembrance started.

Why oh why are people banging on about him being in Sound of Music when he had greater work afterwards? For the record, I detest musicals so had no idea he was cast as a von Trappe.

Still, saddened to hear of his death.

Presumably because that film was seen by so many people when it was released in 1965. Although his singing was mimed!. He personally hated the film!.

I read somewhere that he did not like the film. Only thing it didwas to bring him into the lime light. RIP christopher Plummer.

Sad news reported today with the death of Ian St John aged 82 following a long illness.

In the 1960s he was a massive part of the beginning of the transformation of Liverpool FC into a major European football power.

In the 1980s and 1990s he might be better remembered by a later generation of football fans for his iconic and often highly amusing football show with Jimmy Greaves - Saint and Greavsie.

Condolences to his loved ones. RIP, Saint.

Used to like his comments on football with Greavsie always true comments and if it wanted a funny comment he was never short of them. A great footballer as well.
RIP SAINT.

I well remember his Cup Final goal in 1965. That was only the second FA Cup final i had seen on TV ( the first being West Ham v Preston North End). But his show with Jimmy Greaves was a real revelation at the time. RIP.

On reflection, he with Greaves were a better offering than the current BBC service. He provided the humour whilst his nibs Lineker offers typical BBC correctness whilst interrupting studio guests when they offer honest opinion. Should be addressed as the Rev. Lineker and moved on to Songs of Praise!

I remember the goal in 1965 Cup Final. I was there and I cried my eyes out when LUFC lost.

I was never one to seek out motorsport on television but, if there was nothing on, I would watch and would say he was possibly the most enthusiastic sports commentator that Britain has had. That and knowledge are the hallmarks for them to aspire to. There's not many "voice of their sport" commentators left

Yes, dead or retired. Remind me if you can the respected voices of Soccer, Cricket, Golf, Boxing, Athletics, Tiddlywinks ?
For Football, it certainly has to be John 'Motty' Motson. And for Cricket, we have Henry 'Blowers' Blofeld, Jonathon Agnew, Brian 'Johnners' Johnston and Geoffrey Boycott. For Boxing, I can only recall Harry Carpenter but that's probably due to Frank Bruno ('Oh, you're not 'Arry, I wish 'Arry was 'ere!'). I don't follow boxing and have trouble with considering it a sport. How can a 'sport' have the aim of knocking someone out?

Kevin

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock