On the other hand a family group travelling on their annual two week jolly may choose to park at the airport then spend quite a bit of money in some of the shops in the departure lounge. There is also a good chance of them purchasing meals and drinks at the airport which all adds up.
As you say Ray it all adds up but these days most of us have less to go around. Airports have taken advantage of the longer check in times
knowing people have a couple of hours to kill which was fine when things were better bur these days when the majority are holidaying on a tighter budget spending money before you have left the ground is not so appealing. Unfortunately many airports redesigned themselves around the retail experience.We see what that has done for many town and city centres in the internet era..These days youngsters can keep themselves occupied on their phones and the adults can save their money to spend in more exotic locations. O.k. maybe one drink but thats it at them prices.
It.s just another problem for many airports in a changing world.

Seeing how much some drink before they fly at inflated prices and the restaurants are jammed full of punters having beakfast
before they because they cannot get a proper breakfast or lunch/dinner on plane having travelled by car.

Seeing how much some drink before they fly at inflated prices and the restaurants are jammed full of punters having beakfast
before they because they cannot get a proper breakfast or lunch/dinner on plane having travelled by car.
I have never understood the breakfast pint. Saw some middle aged men having a pint or two at an airport whilst I was waiting to board a 6.40 am plane!

We obviously needs some rumours....can we have another one of those feeding frenzies
I suspect the trouble is few of us believe there is any substance behind rumours any more.Once that starts thread drift and a general lack of interest prevail. The feeding frenzies very soon turn to humour. Never long before Air Afrcaada get their mention.
The really should have a thread of their own by now.

Here you go folks, but one that we hear time and time and time and time agaiiiiiiiiin

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

But for the simple fact that Indian airlines are a total shambles, I hardly think BHX-BOM is top of there priority :bored:

I'm not sure how much difference it will make but there is a link below to Mayor Street's petition for flights to Mumbai should people wish to sign it.

https://www.change.org/p/air-india-we-need-a-direct-flight-to-mumbai-from-birmingham

We obviously needs some rumours....can we have another one of those feeding frenzies we had before the unmentionable P was announced?
Route announcements? Nah, something much more important than that.

https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk...am-airport-takes-part-in-airport-safety-week/

Birmingham Airport is taking part in Airport Safety Week, what more do people want? :facepalm:
I got an invite to that today. Not BHX but here in the South. Cannot wait or am I busy that day?

More bad news .....Air Transat look like are going to be taken over by Air Canada, will be sad to see another small airline disappear, as they DID at least know where we were & the new A321 they are getting would be ideal, this leaves BHX with westjet as last choice !

Not such a small airline are they, 20 A330 and 7 A310 n0w in process of being rolled over to A321LR.
I wonder if they may be rebranded Rouge or will continue to operate as a separate operation

Changing topic, is anyone else concerned about the Thomas Cook situation?

It would be another hefty loss 3-4 based aircraft and 50+ flights per week in summer if whoever buys them has no interest in short haul (which may be the case if Virgin buy them) or just has no interest in a Midlands base (as is currently the case with easyJet, who are also rumoured to be among the potential buyers)

Possibly Virgin could take over TC's long haul and easyJet the short haul, in that case both airlines would double their Manchester presence. easyjet would also gain slots at Bristol and they might not see the business case for taking over TC's BHX operation as they would be competing with their own expansion elsewhere.

The above is all my own speculation of course....

Possibly Virgin could take over TC's long haul and easyJet the short haul,
Or it could give Easyjet an established base at BHX but generally though they don't seem an airline that takeovers but one that picks what it wants from the carcass. Air Berlin is an example of that I'd say.

Changing topic, is anyone else concerned about the Thomas Cook situation?

It would be another hefty loss 3-4 based aircraft and 50+ flights per week in summer if whoever buys them has no interest in short haul (which may be the case if Virgin buy them) or just has no interest in a Midlands base (as is currently the case with easyJet, who are also rumoured to be among the potential buyers)

The above is all my own speculation of course....

I think the post from jfy1999 highlights a real potential problem lerking in the background. The size of the losses reported by the TC group have to be stemmed and they will have no choice but to sell to the highest bidder or break up into smaller parts to generate a higher amount of cash. If this isnt sorted quickly then the group could fail which could be horrendous for the industry let alone BHX

I heard on radio today Easyjet didn’t have a good last 1/4 financial results & even tho they carried more pax they lost money... & yes I do realise most airlines lose money over the winter ..... But it’s a tough business to be in at present.
£250 million loss blamed on the Gatwick drone incident.

Purely from a BHX perspective we have Banjul, Kalamata and Mytilene that are exclusive to Thomas Cook and would be unserved should the worst happen (hopefully it won't come to that). TUi don't serve any of these from the UK but may be tempted should a gap in the market appear?

Hopefully we'll have a happy ending for Thomas Cook.

A friend of mine has recently started working for TAP Portugal as a pilot. As part of a big recruitment drive, they are looking to expand their TATL market from Lisbon & introduce a new low cost model. Has anyone heard about this? Maybe one to watch as they may be looking to introduce feeder routes...

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock