The big problem that I have with all of these high rise buildings, is that they all look the same. Nothing has any character any more.

Kevin
I agree to some extent. There is a sameness, particularly in Birmingham, and Manchester, but there is an elegance also. What is vital to tall building design is the height to width ratio, which in both cities is achieved with striking results.

Thankfully no where in the UK, except a few exceptions in London, have we had a repeat of the hideousness of the bulbous rubbish in some middle Eastern cities - think Doha!!! Of course there is the truly grotesque Walkie Talkie in London regarded by many as the worst building of them all. As a planner, the general consensus is one of horror that the monstrosity ever got planning permission.

What has always struck me about many US skylines is the 90 degree verticality. It displays confidence.

I must congratulate the planners in Birmingham, and Manachester, for not allowing silliness and ego to take over their skylines, both of which smack of "look at me." Showing off usually masks a lack of confidence.

So we're finally going to see movement after how many years? I remember when there was talk of the coach station moving there.

It looks a decent development, shame it'll be reached by that awful bridge :facepalm:

Last edited:
BHX's runway looks good from the air, but could do with some fast turn-offs. Hopefully, HS2 will be completed. No one bats an eyelid at the Billions being spent on rail in London, but when it's outside of the capital, those who it doesn't benefit are up in arms.
The HS2 project has been a disaster from the outset in 2009. We still have 10 years of destruction to go before the trains start. The east side of Birmingham, and indeed the whole route north from Euston, has been trashed. A vanity project of epic proportions unfortunately, and never to pay for itself apparently!.

The HS2 project has been a disaster from the outset in 2009. We still have 10 years of destruction to go before the trains start. The east side of Birmingham, and indeed the whole route north from Euston, has been trashed. A vanity project of epic proportions unfortunately, and never to pay for itself apparently!.

Maybe one for the Urban forum, however let me have my say.

Totally disagree with your description of Hs2 and with attitudes like that, no wonder we are a laughing stock.

As for the East side of Birmingham being trashed, what exactly are you annoyed about being trashed, imho it looks better already without a single line being built and long may it continue.

I wish the new line all the success it needs and really hope further phases 2a/2b to Crewe and Manchester and to the East Midlands/Leeds all get built.

The future is Bright, The future is Hs2

EQgNvA_XUAEr0ZZ.jpg

Last edited:
You only have to look at the route and the total destruction of Woodlands, prime farming land, ponds, streams etc, and all for a train that will be another 10 years away before any journeys can start.
Only last week it was confirmed that the 225mph speed would not be achieved, and journeys were to be reduced from 18 per hour, down to 10 per hour.
I could go on, but suffice it to say, the whole project is flawed and it has already been well stated that it will never make a profit.

You cannot make an omelette without cracking an egg.

During the construction phase of any project - including airport runway extensions, if I recall - it appears as if amargeddon has fallen upon us. But in any development the planners look far far beyond that phase. I am one, and we think 20 to 30 years ahead. We are planning now for infrastructure needed in 2050 and beyond. I wish the public would see it the way we do. We also have to see beyond the very vocal minority who protest.

I have heard some pretty ridiculous comments about HS2. The most, was someone who said that the Victorians did not cause all this disruption when they built railways!

They were far worse. Not only the actual railways which tore through countless Woodlands, drained marshes and huge cuttings through heath land, but also spawned an agricultural boom which tore down even more woodland and drained even more marshes.

It also led to huge rural population growth with villages growing into towns and towns into cities. And of course all the dirty coal used to power the trains. Amazingly most of it happened not as a public transport resource and mass transit, but for the profit of industrialists, landowners and business! And we think this government is in the pockets of the rich few.

Sorry, but HS2 will be completed. It is a tremendous engineering feat, whereby, to minimise the impact we are tunneling and not cutting, and replanting more trees than we lose and creating more new natural habitats than are being lost.

As for what is happening in Birmingham City Centre, we will have one of the most modern stations in the world, connected to a world city, which is already enticing investment.

Maybe not us, but others will benefit tremendously from this oblivious to the construction impact, and just as we thank the Victorian railway builders, despite all the destruction, people will be thankful.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock