Leeds Bradford - General Thread

Advertisement

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
I refuse to get excited. I will do that only if/when anything is announced that deserves excitement.

As for Easyjet - well with Jon Cunliffe here and his previous Easyjet connections, and their home base being another AMP Capital airport (LTN), we have never had a better opportunity to get them back here at LBA. AMP have 3 airports in the UK, 2 of which have an Easyjet presence. It would surely be feasible to get a deal with the airline which covers all 3 of them, as Peel Holdings did some years ago with Wizz. However, I am nut sure that anyone is in a position to claim this is definite, or even imminent.

At the moment there is nothing to suggest whether this news (if it exists) will be massive in a good way or a bad way, so my feet remain firmly on the ground.

a300boy

Staff member
Dec 8, 2010
Leeds Area
Just seen the press release about the extra Jet 2 flights to the Canaries this winter plus the extra one or two Stobart and Eastern flights so maybe this was the massive announcement that we were expecting.
If not it seems odd they withheld the massive news when issuing it to the public.

Heathrowflyer

Oct 29, 2019
Wakefield
I agree, maybe I'm just being too optimistic. I just don't see any massive news relating to business flights given the current consolidation of the aviation sector and impact of Brexit.

Also, in terms of 'the news' I dont think Jon would be hinting about it on linkedin/social media if it was not promising. What's classed as exciting in LBA terms though is the real question...it could be Easyjet basing aircraft here or it could be something like an extra flight to Newquay next year on a wet Wednesday with free hand luggage thrown in.

The new management has already started to implement changes within 6 months of starting and have announced increases in parking charges. I know they have to sweat their assets but it's not a great charm offensive. Personally, if this income was needed I'd have buried it amongst the final terminal development plans ...surely that announcement must be immement as construction probably wont even start until next September now (at the earliest) if it's still to go ahead.

Btw just tried to find a short, winter city break from LBA via its website and gave up. The LBA website has to have one of the worst navigation tools (or lack of one) that I've come across. Whilst its main pages feature heavily on promoting parking and lounges, ironically it's hard to find which routes are available on specific dates without having to randomly choose a date to see if there's a flight then.

Tarn Spotter

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2012
I refuse to get excited. I will do that only if/when anything is announced that deserves excitement.

As for Easyjet - well with Jon Cunliffe here and his previous Easyjet connections, and their home base being another AMP Capital airport (LTN), we have never had a better opportunity to get them back here at LBA. AMP have 3 airports in the UK, 2 of which have an Easyjet presence. It would surely be feasible to get a deal with the airline which covers all 3 of them, as Peel Holdings did some years ago with Wizz. However, I am nut sure that anyone is in a position to claim this is definite, or even imminent.

At the moment there is nothing to suggest whether this news (if it exists) will be massive in a good way or a bad way, so my feet remain firmly on the ground.
I have sent Father Christmas my LBA wish list, may have more joy via this route, at least only get disappointed one day a year.

Bigman

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Has anyone stopped to consider that the reference to 'massive' could actually have been a real ironic tongue-in-cheek comment about some small announcement (eg KLM increase) that is being overly hyped? This is LBA after all!!

Gray Ham

Mar 15, 2014
I also wondered if “massive” was being used sarcastically. Still fearing if it truly is “massive” that it’s negative but live in hope ad optimism. I do think Bobby Ham might take a little more responsibility for the speculation he has caused and advise the forum whether we’ve now had the “massive” news or should remain on tenterhooks!

Finger66

Platinum Member
Aug 21, 2015
South Leeds
My rose tinted glasses still think there is more to be announced including something big. However, definitely need to keep my feet on the ground in all of this, which is quite ironic in referring to aviation

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
I've just said, verbatim, what I was told. Simon Whitby called up to say to watch out for "Massive" Airport news in the next couple of weeks. I don't think it's the KLM announcement that he was referring to.
Come on guys..Bobby posted in good faith and thats all we can ever ask of people. Let us all draw breath again, be patient and see if any other news comes in the next couple of weeks..

Bigman

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Not having a go at you at all Bobby. It's just that we have seen so many false dawns over the years with announcements, that we all tend top be vary wary/cynical.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
II was also told by someone who had spoken to a director that there was a 'Massive' announcement coming. Of course as I dont know who Bobby Ham is the person who told me could have been him! If we work on the basis it wasnt and there are two independent sources using the word 'Massive' then the announcement is probably still pending. Lets hope so.

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
My Inbox has just received an email from LBA talking about exciting things happening at LBA. Note they are NOT talking about MASSIVE things happening. I wonder if the KLM 737 has been downgraded to exciting from massive? Answers on a postcard please.

LBA logo
Plane

Hello Boeing 737, From March 28th 2020
From March 28th, 2020 we will welcome a larger Boeing 737 aircraft flying to Amsterdam. The increased capacity is a well-received development from KLM, our longest-standing partner, having operated from Leeds Bradford Airport for over 30 years.
This will create an additional 7,000 seats during the 2020 summer season, allowing more passengers to explore Amsterdam; or enjoy one of the 161 further KLM destinations.

The Aer Lingus team
Thanks to Aer Lingus, we have welcomed extra flights to the culturally-renowned city of Dublin. The mid-afternoon flights operate three days a week, creating an additional 1,700 seats per month for business and leisure travelers.
The additional flights offer far greater flexibility; reducing transfer times and improving the choice of transatlantic connecting flights.

Happy Thanksgiving
Whilst we enjoy our traditional Sunday Lunch, Americans are preparing for Thanksgiving, one of the largest culinary holidays in the US.
Aer Lingus can get you to America with ease with new flights to Dublin improving connections across the pond. Throw caution to the wind in 2020 and get your hands on a pumpkin pie, Yorkshire puddings will be there when you get back... we promise.

Arrow Cars

Our official partners have launched a new app, connecting you to your flight even quicker. To celebrate, use code ‘LBA3’ when booking and receive a £3 off all journeys to and from the airport*.

Perfume

Enjoy up to 50%* off fragrance, alongside exclusive discounts you won’t find on the high street in the World Duty Free Sale. The annual event will be held this year at the Mercure hotel in Leeds.

We've been nominated as Best UK Airport

Thanks to our wonderful travel agents, we have been nominated and shortlisted as Best UK Airport in the Travel Weekly Globe Awards - fingers crossed for the award ceremony.

a300boy

Staff member
Dec 8, 2010
Leeds Area
Oh dear !
With the loss of Ryanair routes and the 757 fleet being removed to Manchester overall its a MASSIVE disappointment so far.
Only positive bit for me is more flights by the B738 might mean less diversions in bad weather as our lumpy short runway prevented the 757 from using its excellent autoland capability at Lba.
Whet will be will be and thanks for cheering us up for a few days Bobby Ham!

Top Bottom