Leeds Bradford - General Thread

Advertisement

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
The Dnata Travel Group whom are the owners of travel UK travel brands Gold Medal and Travel 2 are going to start up a new charter flights operation next year. They are looking to operate both short & medium haul charter flights from UK regional Airports starting next summer 2020 season, The company hopes to tap into some of the ex Thomas Cook capacity and will put flights on sale in December just in time for Christmas.
I wonder if LBA might get a look in?

Last edited:

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Last edited:

Severn

Premium Member
Mar 24, 2012
Bristol, UK
Just done a simple comparison on how arrivals & passenger seats available at Leeds/Bradford stack up against our local airports Doncaster-Sheffield, Humberside & Teeside. No point even thinking about doing other side of hill.

As you can see LBA still comes out on top,
I think you missed my point; of course LBA will come out on top. It has more flights and therefore more departing seats than DSA and that's not going to change any time soon!
The point I was trying to make is that it's easy to say "Donny has less flights than us", however DSA is an airport that handles 1.2 million passengers per year, and LBA, 4 million per year. Therefore, you might expect a similar gap in the number of departures and seats between the two airports, but there's not. DSA has 1,750 and LBA 2,750 departing seats today, a difference of only 1,000 which when compared to their size shows DSA is doing just fine.

It is worse this year due to the loss of the Dusseldorf flights and the early afternoon Belfast City flights by Flybe,
If you compare today to the same day last year (which saw 3,248 departing seats), today saw three less departures and 500 less seats.

Hendi

Jan 12, 2018
Leeds
Just had a quick look at liverpool they've only had 25 departures today from 4 different airlines so not too different to us. What we need is more business/city destinations from different airlines like eurowings,cityjet,swiss Turkish etc we must be able to attract some of these in surely?

fight2win

Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
Just had a quick look at liverpool they've only had 25 departures today from 4 different airlines so not too different to us. What we need is more business/city destinations from different airlines like eurowings,cityjet,swiss Turkish etc we must be able to attract some of these in surely?
eurowings,sas,LH,turkish, the lotta them should be operating into LBA! im aware MAN is there but it should make no diference!

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
BRS and NCL have far superior terminal facilities Jerry.
Still doesn't mean an airline like Lufhthansa wouldn't be interested in LBA. From my own experience yes Leeds wasn't the best airport i've used but it wasn't completely dire either. It seems good enough for KLM to add a 737 flight and for a daily BA flight. In the end is an airline like Lufhthansa going to be massively fussy about the terminal for a daily or 2 daily flights with a regional jet? An airline like Easyjet who'd want to base might be but i don't think an airline like Lufhthansa would be if they wanted to serve LBA.

Hendi

Jan 12, 2018
Leeds
I dont buy that The terminal isn't adequate enough to attract them! British airways klm do it, pia used to do it!!! Yes it it is inadequate first thing on a morning with the wave of departures but after that there are whole periods of well nothing!!! These flights would/could be timed after those wave of departures anyway. There is room for expansion even with the terminal as it is.

Statto

Oct 24, 2019
Yorkshire
I dont buy that The terminal isn't adequate enough to attract them! British airways klm do it, pia used to do it!!! Yes it it is inadequate first thing on a morning with the wave of departures but after that there are whole periods of well nothing!!! These flights would/could be timed after those wave of departures anyway. There is room for expansion even with the terminal as it is.
True. Realistically if It was that big an obstacle to attracting airlines, the management of the airport would be acting more quickly than they are. From reading the (excellent) consultative committee updates posted by White Heather, they don’t seem in that much of a rush.

Offint

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
Just done a simple comparison on how arrivals & passenger seats available at Leeds/Bradford stack up against our local airports Doncaster-Sheffield, Humberside & Teeside. No point even thinking about doing other side of hill.

View attachment 15267

As you can see LBA still comes out on top,
And if WIZZ ever pulled the plug poor DSA.....I thought LBA had too many eggs with Jet2.

Heathrowflyer

Oct 29, 2019
Wakefield
The problem is that in effect the business flights dont want to follow the charter ones. If you have a full day's work you need to be setting off early and (ideally) not get caught up with jet 2 /Ryanair pax. The issue is that both business and leisure flights want the most attractive early slots and also adequate terminal space for each of these pax markets.

fight2win

Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
MAN is inadequate first thing in a morning too! :LOL:

Top Bottom