Just done a simple comparison on how arrivals & passenger seats available at Leeds/Bradford stack up against our local airports Doncaster-Sheffield, Humberside & Teeside. No point even thinking about doing other side of hill.

View attachment 15267

As you can see LBA still comes out on top,

And versus comparable regional airports i.e Newcastle, Liverpool, East Midlands etc ?

November has always been the quietest month of the year at LBA, with all summer flights stopped and ski flights not yet started. It is worse this year due to the loss of the Dusseldorf flights and the early afternoon Belfast City flights by Flybe, but by next month things will be picking up slightly with the ski flights and various flights up to the Arctic and out to New York.

The Dnata Travel Group whom are the owners of travel UK travel brands Gold Medal and Travel 2 are going to start up a new charter flights operation next year. They are looking to operate both short & medium haul charter flights from UK regional Airports starting next summer 2020 season, The company hopes to tap into some of the ex Thomas Cook capacity and will put flights on sale in December just in time for Christmas.
I wonder if LBA might get a look in?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just done a simple comparison on how arrivals & passenger seats available at Leeds/Bradford stack up against our local airports Doncaster-Sheffield, Humberside & Teeside. No point even thinking about doing other side of hill.

As you can see LBA still comes out on top,

I think you missed my point; of course LBA will come out on top. It has more flights and therefore more departing seats than DSA and that's not going to change any time soon!
The point I was trying to make is that it's easy to say "Donny has less flights than us", however DSA is an airport that handles 1.2 million passengers per year, and LBA, 4 million per year. Therefore, you might expect a similar gap in the number of departures and seats between the two airports, but there's not. DSA has 1,750 and LBA 2,750 departing seats today, a difference of only 1,000 which when compared to their size shows DSA is doing just fine.

It is worse this year due to the loss of the Dusseldorf flights and the early afternoon Belfast City flights by Flybe,
If you compare today to the same day last year (which saw 3,248 departing seats), today saw three less departures and 500 less seats.

Just had a quick look at liverpool they've only had 25 departures today from 4 different airlines so not too different to us. What we need is more business/city destinations from different airlines like eurowings,cityjet,swiss Turkish etc we must be able to attract some of these in surely?

Just had a quick look at liverpool they've only had 25 departures today from 4 different airlines so not too different to us. What we need is more business/city destinations from different airlines like eurowings,cityjet,swiss Turkish etc we must be able to attract some of these in surely?
eurowings,sas,LH,turkish, the lotta them should be operating into LBA! im aware MAN is there but it should make no diference!

BRS and NCL have far superior terminal facilities Jerry.
Still doesn't mean an airline like Lufhthansa wouldn't be interested in LBA. From my own experience yes Leeds wasn't the best airport i've used but it wasn't completely dire either. It seems good enough for KLM to add a 737 flight and for a daily BA flight. In the end is an airline like Lufhthansa going to be massively fussy about the terminal for a daily or 2 daily flights with a regional jet? An airline like Easyjet who'd want to base might be but i don't think an airline like Lufhthansa would be if they wanted to serve LBA.

I dont buy that The terminal isn't adequate enough to attract them! British airways klm do it, pia used to do it!!! Yes it it is inadequate first thing on a morning with the wave of departures but after that there are whole periods of well nothing!!! These flights would/could be timed after those wave of departures anyway. There is room for expansion even with the terminal as it is.

I dont buy that The terminal isn't adequate enough to attract them! British airways klm do it, pia used to do it!!! Yes it it is inadequate first thing on a morning with the wave of departures but after that there are whole periods of well nothing!!! These flights would/could be timed after those wave of departures anyway. There is room for expansion even with the terminal as it is.

True. Realistically if It was that big an obstacle to attracting airlines, the management of the airport would be acting more quickly than they are. From reading the (excellent) consultative committee updates posted by White Heather, they don’t seem in that much of a rush.

LBA Spotter
If a copy of the wingter schedules has been ordered earlier, before the money problem arose, do we order again or what?
Thank----- Bhowani

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock