Shame then as that will render it so unattractive to me that I'll continue with car or taxi...

In turn that will lead to the airport losing out on some journeys where an 'open jaw' with Manchester might have been an option...

White Heather: A suggest a 20k car park needed 4k for park and ride and the additional 16k for airport use. You dont have to build all the car park bays, just the link roads, this is a 30 year project, if we cant view 20k parking bays in this time, it cant be financiallly viable.
All the land between the new station and the airport should be designated for either retail, leisure or parking. There is certainly a need for another hotel, Fast Food outlets and restaurants, no major supermarket in the area, so one with a petrol station, link road to viewing area for the airport. Needs someone like John Whittaker of the Peel group, who has vision, the airport would be the glue holding it together, but not its financial base.

The airport don't own that land and already have plans for more car parking to the NW of the airport, along the road opposite the new pub. Check out the Masterplan. The car park to be built down by the station is park and ride only, not a huge expanse of parking for the airport - unless of course Bridgepoint opt to seek planning permission to build more parking down there - and buy up all the farm land to do so - assuming that the owners wish to sell which seems unlikely. Remember that it is all green belt land too so guaranteed to be opposed by the Greenies. Bridgepoint are not going to buy up land to build huge parking areas as long as they have space within their own boundaries to build more - which they do currently. Apart from anything else, wouldn't it send out a rather mixed message to build a parkway rail station for the airport (to encourage people to use the train) and then build a huge new airport car park on green belt land outside the airport boundary?

You are right in your assessment of the situation White Heather as far as I can see. The airport has in recent years spent a considerable amount increasing their car parking capacity. I don't use their facilities so don't know if they ever come close to capacity but spending the sort of money they have was obviously well planned as was their strident objections to Sentinel and other off airport car park providers. They tried very hard at the time to protect their investment. They see car parking as a major revenue stream and the introduction of a Parkway/Park & Ride station nearby isn't something that they will particularly welcome as it will only be of marginal benefit to them in terms of increased passenger numbers and, if anything, harm their ability to sell their own car parking product.

Not being a local I am unsure of the lay of the land down there, who own what and so on but as I've mentioned before, I would be very surprised if the airport spent a brass farthing more than they have to on this project. It just isn't in their interests to do so in my view.

By the time you get the train, wait for the bus, ride around the car parks to the terminal will it actually be much quicker than getting the 757 from outside the station?

By the time you get the train, wait for the bus, ride around the car parks to the terminal will it actually be much quicker than getting the 757 from outside the station?

The train takes 15 minutes only - possibly less with new rolling stock. The shuttle buses should be there timed to meet trains if the airport do it properly, so no waiting around and I suspect they will either have a direct link to and from the station (that doesn't go all the way round the car parks) or it covers the car parks first then calls at the station last before heading back to the terminal direct. It isn't difficult.

Hi cmj. if you have never tried it, take a 757 from Leeds Station to the airport and you will see just how long it takes. Rush hour is a nightmare through Horsforth. Saturdays are a nightmare along Kirkstall Road. P.S - take a good book to read!!!

I have taken the 757 years ago when I lived in town, but never at rush hour I admit.

For some reason I thought the train to Horsforth took longer than that (and LBA parkway would be a bit further than Horsforth).

The buses would need to meet the trains and ideally be 'free' or at least included in the ticket to parkway station.

If the airport wants to attract new airlines they will want to make it work because it's in their interest. Imagine a selling point "be in Leeds in 20 minutes". As Bigman has mentioned, bus times are all over the place because of the A65 through Horsforth and Kirkstall. The train will be so much more reliable and it isn't going to get stuck in traffic!

I'd only asked if the airport could be pressed on what investment they'd be making toward a link to the parkway, and what format they envisage it taking... :muted:

But I got slapped down with the usual malaise of this is Leeds so let's accept third best, be happy with anything we get and it'll all be sorted in future... Oh and a walk, bus, transfer, train option will be fantastic.

I don't think it is worth continuing an argument with leedslad about why it is wrong to spend £121m of public money on a link to a private business that said private business is not prepared to contribute to. What is worth discussing is that I used the 747 bus link to Guiseley for the first time the other day having arrived on the early Heathrow flight. I have to say, 20 minutes to get a few miles down the road is a little bit of a poor do and I can see why leedslad cannot be tempted out of the car. However, from most places in Leeds, the car will be a faster alternative to public transport - regardless of how good the transport link may be. I would not take a train link to LBA from my home in Drighlington even if it did exist because I can be at the airport in 30 minutes in the car for, probably, the same cost.

The point you are missing, leedslad, is that LBA will become a destination for those travelling from further afield. Ok, we have heard from numerous contributors who have stated that they would not do it but, frankly, I wouldn't expect EVERYONE to suddenly jump on the train anyway. What it will do is tempt some people who would otherwise drive or take the train to the likes of Manchester/East Midlands/Liverpool from places other than Leeds (such places do exist, I've checked), providing a real alternative to the travelling public and thus increasing passenger numbers. Less so, perhaps, than if the train stopped right outside the door but more so than the existing bus link.

With regards to LBA parkway station, would it be possible to aske the owners what a projected passenger increase would look like with the introduction of the station and how this would compare with similar stations in Liverpool, Southampton, East Midlands and Birmingham?

Guys (and girls if there are any out there). Just to keep you up to date the next Consultative Committee meeting, that was originally scheduled for last month but cancelled, is this Friday. If there is anything of interest coming out of it I will let you know. What I can tell you is that I now have the passenger figures up to December 2016 and will post something about that after the meeting. All I will say is that they are decent and in November/December, excellent. For the numbers you will have to wait.........

Guys (and girls if there are any out there). Just to keep you up to date the next Consultative Committee meeting, that was originally scheduled for last month but cancelled, is this Friday. If there is anything of interest coming out of it I will let you know. What I can tell you is that I now have the passenger figures up to December 2016 and will post something about that after the meeting. All I will say is that they are decent and in November/December, excellent. For the numbers you will have to wait.........

We'll still get them before the CAA publish.

Well I attended today's meeting and as promised, here is the information I promised regarding passenger figures for the period April to December 2016. I will cover the Infrastructure Development information in the appropriate thread.

So, I thought you would like to see the figures for each month so far and the % comparison with the same month in 2015 and they are as follows:

April 2016 - 277, 194 + 4.56%
May 2016 - 348, 433 + 0.33%
June 2016 - 402, 862 + 2.63%
July 2016 - 443, 205 + 1.95%
Aug 2016 - 455, 815 + 0.88%
Sept 2016 - 410, 159 + 3.62%
Oct 2016 - 340,089 + 3.59%
Nov 2016 - 180,453 + 10.52%
Dec 2016 - 198, 118 + 23.85%

Total to date 3,056,328 + 4.00%

As you will see there has been an increase every month but with a significant increase in November and spectacular increase in December due to the new routes introduced to Vilnius, Bratislava, Newquay, Guernsey etc. plus some increased frequencies.b

The expectation is that the upward trend will continue for the remaining 3 months and last years 3.5m pax will be exceeded. Based on known routes and frequencies, but subject to the impact of Brexit and the economy, the expected passenger figures for 2017 is 3.75m.

Here is a an update from today's LBA Consultative Committee meeting.
PASSENGER FIGURES: For the 1st time I can remember, none were provided with the documents ahead of the meeting. LBA management undertook to send them out via email in the next day or two so I will post the figures if and when they are received.
NEW AIRPORT DIRECTOR - DAVID LAWS attended the meeting and addressed the members. This in itself is notable as his predecessor didn't attend any for the last 2 years. David is a real Geordie and an ex football league referee who has referee'd matches at all our main Yorkshire Stadiums - I certainly remember his name and the face. Anyway - this guy is impressive with a capital I. He was responsible for securing the daily Emirates service from NCL which is now 10 years old and worth £300m per annum to Emirates Airlines. In six weeks he has already identified all that is wrong with LBA in terms of its road network (to the airport and within the airport area itself), road signage, airport infrastructure, and those issues which regularly give the airport bad press. To cut a fairly long but riveting speech short, he is embarking upon a regime to change things for the better over this coming winter and promised to attend all meetings to update us. For the first time I can recall, the MD got applauded at the end of his session and the mood of the entire meeting was uplifted. He was particularly focusing on 'customer journey' issues with the declared intention in ensuring all customers feel that they have been well treated and respected at all stages of their visit to LBA. It is clear that he intends to introduce changes which will bring LBA in line with the methods used at NCL which have resulted in a high level of customer satisfaction. This includes 95% of pax clearing security in 6 minutes or less, all staff greeting pax with Good Morning etc as they enter and 'Thank You' when they finish security screening. He intends to continue changes to infrastructure to ensure that the terminal works as efficiently as possible. He pointed out that LBA has a catchment area twice that of NCL yet carries 1m pax per year less - in his view LBA has huge potential and he is here to unlock it. His priorities also include Road/Rail Access, Terminal Facilities, More Business orientated and City flights - Dusseldorf being the first - and getting more passengers to use LBA in preference to alternatives - particularly MAN. I questioned him how he intended to get the message across to customers who were unhappy so they were aware of the changes being introduced and stressed that LBA need to respond to the battering they get in the press, on TV and in social media, not just ignore it, because this sort of criticism snowballs and is believed by some. He totally agreed. Generally, I was really impressed with David and if he can deliver what he wants to, we should start to see some real changes going forward.

Last edited:
To continue........
The AVIATION POLICY FRAMEWORK - will be launched by Chris Grayling MP tomorrow and there will be a 12 week consultation period.
LBA LINK ROAD - still being worked on by Leeds Council who are doing traffic modelling and junction modelling before confirming the preferred routing. A public consultation on the chosen route will be held in 2018. A possible clue to the likely final decision is that the project manager for the parkway station will sit on the board of the link road project. Common sense says it simply has to be Option A.
PARKWAY STATION - this has now been endorsed by the Department for Transport. A consultant is now being appointed to work with the stakeholders to produce the Outline Business Case by 2019.
AIRPORT ECONOMIC HUB PROPOSALS - A Government Inspector has been appointed to examine these and other plans in the region, commencing October 2017.
LBA are currently undertaking a review of car park requirements and useage ahead of the likely provision of additional car parking to meet the expected further rise in passenger numbers. The first to be built would be on Warren House Lane opposite the Hawthorne Farm Inn, on airport land. This would be used as a Meet and Greet Car Park with a shuttle bus link to the terminal. Since the commencement of the Meet and Greet service, the airport has dealt with 950 cars so far and the feedback is very good.
AIRSPACE CHANGE CONSULTATION continues until 6th October. All comments received to date re LBA are positive. The changes will focus mainly on constant descent when arriving and more aircraft approaching runway 14 arrivals following a circuit to the North of the airfield, rather than the South.
SECURITY SCREENING - a 7th X Ray Lane is now in service and this morning saw 1487 pax processed through security in 1 hour with a maximum waiting time of 2 minutes - a record for LBA. Next winter a further 2 lanes are introduced ready for summer 2018.
SALTAIRE BAR EXTENSION - now completed providing 124 additional seats and has been well received.
RETAIL OUTLET - FATFACE now opened.
CARGO SHOP - now re-opened following enlargement and terminal works around it.
TERMINAL FLOOR EXTENSION - now being fitted out (M&E works)
AIRFIELD LIGHTING REPLACEMENT PROJECT - will re-commence in October with works continuing overnight for a further 2 winters.
HOLD/BAGGAGE XRAY SCANNERS - These are to be replaced this winter to meet new regulations.
CHECK IN HALL A SELF SERVICE CHECK IN BOOTHS - in use and incredibly successful. Up to 5 flights checking in at any one time with no queues but having knock on affect on security screening - 2 more lanes to go in for next year (see above).
LONG STAY CAR PARK - bus shelters x 4 replaced with larger ones that offer far better protection for passenger. Project now completed.
WAYFINDER SIGNAGE IN TERMINAL - replacement programme now complete and all new signage in place, which is also DDA compliant.
AIRSIDE COACHING OF PAX - introduced from 5th June and is generally working well. Inbound pax will now be bussed to terminal whenever there are any departing pax in the vicinity. The aircraft stand immediately adjacent to the International Arrivals door will not normally be used to avoid blockages when coaches are delivering pax to the terminal.
BOARDING GATE CHANGES - now in use and all airlines can now board from all gates, providing greater flexibility.
GROUNDSTAFF - additional staff recruited and work on going now to enhance the landscaping around the airport, ensuring signage is visible and verges trimmed etc.
SMOKING SHELTER - a new, larger smoking shelter will be provided shortly to the front of the terminal with all staff and pax being required to smoke there. Staff will be required to uphold the airport smoking policy at all times and ensure passengers do likewise.

Thanks for the very encouraging update "White Heather". It looks like Leeds/Bradford Airport's management Bridgepoint Capital may have found a good replacement in David Laws. Lets hope he lives up to the hype....

Just a quick question!
Is the new CEO David Laws effectively combining both Tony Hallwood & John Parkin jobs in to 1 job role?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock